Does anyone else have trouble as they get close to goal?

Options
When I started off, I was 190+ and very unhappy with myself. Now I'm noticeably healthier and more fit, and down from a size 12/14 to a smallish 10 - but I'm frustrated by a combination of plateauing and lack of motivation. I've gotten to the point that I no longer hate the way I look, and I quite like it some days, but I still want to be more fit than I am currently. However, I've been floating between 168 and 174 for months now, and I can't seem to get back on track long enough to unstick. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you push through it?

Replies

• MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I totally have periods where I'm just like man I feel SO much better, and just end up maintaining for a few weeks. Then I will realize something about my body that I'm still not happy about (thighs for me are the motivator at the moment) and then I'll get back on the bandwagon.

One thing I don't do is beat myself up for maintaining, as long as I'm not gaining... I'm not mad.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I try not to beat myself up for maintaining, but it gets hard sometimes because I feel like I should and could be doing more, you know?
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I surpassed my first goal but I wasn't satisfied. I wanted to get fit, so I am trying to lose 20 more lbs. I have about eight lbs until I am DONE.

I stay motivate mostly because I'm scared of gaining it back. I'm so much healthier than I was and I feel and look better. No more high cholesterol, blood pressure, or triglycerides. No back pain or knee pain!

I was plateaued for about five months and I just broke through it (I hope) by eating very healthy (or as healthy as I can). I'm seeing results from it and that motivates me to keep moving.

Good luck!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, and I think it helps to find some kind of fitness goal to keep things fresh.

I'm working on increasing my cardio burn calories to 300 per day on the elliptical trainer and to work out 30 minutes a day with free weights 6 days a week.

I find that I'm much more motivated by setting quantifiable goals.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I reached my first goal 125lbs lost 5lbs more but felt my BF was still too high. It's hard to stay motivated because technically my wight is fine. What I'm focusing on now is reducing BF and building lean muscle. Setting new fitness goals helps keep things new.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ohhhh I struggle with this all the time. I've reset my goals several times. I get to a goal, and I'm happy, but then I think....maybe I shouldn't be happy.....maybe I'm giving up to easy.....maybe I should be doing more.
    If you're happy maintaining, then maintain. If you've hit a plateau, you need to figure out how you can really shake things up....anything in your diet you can change? try a new exercise program? train for an event? more weights less cardio? more cardio? Just something different.
    I had hit a serious plateau for like a year. Signed up for a half marathon. Started working with a new trainer who completely changed my strength training routine. Finally busted through that plateau.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Hey .. same here. Why not try something totally different?? Crossfit / Marathon etc. Or specify on a ceetain body part you wish to improve upon? You wil put your body through different exercises and hopefully bust through your plateau.
    I started crossfit and am loving it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I reached my first goal 125lbs lost 5lbs more but felt my BF was still too high. It's hard to stay motivated because technically my wight is fine. What I'm focusing on now is reducing BF and building lean muscle. Setting new fitness goals helps keep things new.

This. I also hit goal and was skinny fat. It's a little bit trying since I'm not losing weight to feel motivated, especially since muscle doesn't appear over night. So instead of looking at inches and pounds I'm looking at how can I push myself more. The more I do, the better I feel, the longer I can go, and the less my back complains :D
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I think changing my fitness goals has been helping...if I make myself hit the gym at least 4 times a week, preferably 5 or 6, I feel better. I burn 500-700 cals when I'm there (I stay between one and two hours), so I also worry about food less because I have more leeway. My BMR is like 1650 and my goal is 1700 cals, so when I work out? It's super easy to stay below 2400.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ME right here - was between 169 and 180 for two years.

threw away the scale.

started measuring body fat and measuring success by how much weight im lifting and how efficient I can make my workouts now that Ive cut cardio from 7-9 hours a week to about 1.
  • courtneylehman10
    courtneylehman10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem I've lost 40 pounds and I am down to 164 and I've been working out and eating healthy beyond belief and I'm at a stand still the last 20 pounds are rediculous to get off. I've started this diet called the whole 30 plus the treadmill an hour a day it's very tough but my motivation is going on holidays next month.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I started off, I was 190+ and very unhappy with myself. Now I'm noticeably healthier and more fit, and down from a size 12/14 to a smallish 10 - but I'm frustrated by a combination of plateauing and lack of motivation. I've gotten to the point that I no longer hate the way I look, and I quite like it some days, but I still want to be more fit than I am currently. However, I've been floating between 168 and 174 for months now, and I can't seem to get back on track long enough to unstick. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you push through it?

Willpower!
    That is what keeps you on track. Pure and simple willpower.
    Motivation is great short term, but determination and willpower will see you through.
    You know you keep going off track - if it is that important to reach your goal, don't let it happen. Stay on track.

Cheers, h.
    (Edit post cut off.)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have 4 pounds to go. I've maintained through December, which I'm happy about. When I started again on here 6 months ago the first board I went to was Maintaining. I realized that that's the hard part, for me. The Cheistmas candy is gone as of today, and even though I'm a good weight (124 and 5'2") I'm determined to reach my goal.

I work out enough, but I've found some of the Challenges on here to be very motivational and have just started my second Hogwarts challenge. I did it for two months before Christmas and it really shook things up for me and got me moving again. I'm planning for it to carry me into maintenance.