Weight Loss Stalled?

Options
Ok, TOTALLY frustrated and looking for a little insight. I've been working out and tracking my calories since January and I've very happily lost 32 lbs. But during the last month I've only mangaged to lose 1lb. WHAT GIVES?? I work out for 50 min in the morning 5-6 days a week and I'm VERY concious about what I'm eating. In the past my problem has been that I don't eat enough but I'm really working hard to make sure I hit the 1200 cal minimum every day.....do I have to make sure I eat even more??? Because as dumb as it sounds eating more is really difficult for me. I just get busy and forget which is why I started tracking my calories in the first place.

HELP!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. When I lost 25lbs before, I dropped 15lbs fairly quickly and then got stuck. I didn't eat my exercise calories back before so then I started to eat at least half of them back and dropped the last 10.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you are working out for 50 minutes a day and only barely eating 1200 calories, then you are not eating enough. And that is why you are not losing any more weight.

Try adding some more calorie dense foods to your diet to increase your intake. Nuts, cottage cheese, etc.

Also try cutting down your exercise. instead of 50 minutes or an hour a day, cut it down to 30 minutes.

Have a good old fashioned cheat day.
  • prsop98
    prsop98 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, the million dollar question! :o)

I have the same problem. I do great, and then all of a sudden...nothing. I find that when I stall, I have to limit my carbs and sugar for a while. I wish I could get rid of them forever, but they're just so GOOD!!! :oD

I really wish I knew the answer, but I think you just have to find something that works for YOU.
  • sonoransweetheart
    Options
    ohhhhh THANK YOU for the link, it explains soooooo much! NO, I am def NOT eating enough calories if I'm supposed to keep up with eating the calories the excersise gives me back grrrrr! Not eating enough calories a day has been my problem for years. Apparently I'm last on my list of important things to take care of every day :( Well, I have almonds in my drawer....guess I should eat a few more of them.
  • sonoransweetheart
    Options
    I have a lot of calorie dense foods that I try to every day including nuts & cottage cheese but apparently I need to step it up even more. I'm a TOTAL carboholic but I've pretty much cut bread, pasta and rice out of my diet and I'm not real eager to bring them back.
  • beccaboo1021
    Options
    I can so relate!! I had been loyally following the 1200 calories and eating back majority of my exercise calories earned and didn't lose more than 2 lbs for a good couple of months (even prior to joining MFP). If I did lose a little weight, I would plateau for weeks at a time and still not budge by much. About 3 weeks ago I increased my calories to 1400, and finally started to lose! I know everyone is different, but I think some people who have more muscle (if you're working out 50 mins 5-6 days I am only assuming you have a solid base LOL) need a little more fuel.
  • sonoransweetheart
    Options
    "a solid base" LOL I like that, and yes, I do. I've always had a lot of muscle and now that I've been working out my legs are nearly all muscle. Might need to up the lean protiens (because honestly I'm usually under on everything including protien). AHHHH this crazy puzzle is going to drive me nuts!