It's lose not loose!

Options
Why do people say I want to loose weight? Grrrr...

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Typos. English as a second, third, or fourth language. Autocorrect from a mobile device or talk-to-text. Learning disorders or other disabilities. And such.
  • ravensdiet15
    ravensdiet15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Drives me insane too!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    While i get the reasons people do, i actually have no problem with threads like this, because people might learn, and learning is always good :-)

And i honestly have to say, on this forum it is wrong far more often than it is right.
  • dleivis87
    dleivis87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! Always a pet peeve of mine. It's "lose" people not "loose". Loose means clothing that hangs from U. So u want to lose to get loose clothing.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yes! yes yes yes! I thought I was the only grammar pedant on here. I just swallow hard and keep reading because there are more looses than loses on MFP...
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I remember two years ago ppl were complaining about the same in here.
    There will ALWAYS be ppl That type loose instead of lose.
    So relax, and just accept the fact That some ppl might learn, and some ppl wont care about spelling..
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Been MFP for several years and this STILL drives me batshlit crazy. Every. Single. Time. It makes me cringe. Typos and/or bad spelling irritate me. When I read a sentence that says "I want to loose weight," I know it means "I want to lose weight." But I read it with the inflection of "loose" every time.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Typos. English as a second, third, or fourth language. Autocorrect from a mobile device or talk-to-text. Learning disorders or other disabilities. And such.

Yes !
    Do you remember the thread where the older lady said " I need too loose weight " and people went all crazy about the errors and she replied by saying she was using Google translate because she only spoke Spanish and it must've screwed up the translation ? She went on to say the first thread she created got deleted because she wrote it in Spanish and the second one was flagged as spam because she wasn't making sense trying to write in English herself and the third got made fun of because of the translation errors. Well since then I try to remember that not everyone speaks English and sometimes it's hard for them to get their point across without errors.
    Yes things like loose and lose will get on my nerves, I'm human. But I realize that sometimes that's the best people can do.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I get confused with affect and effect, so yeah, English is tough for the English speaking too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to it. And like others said, not everyone speaks English. It does get on my nerves but everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I can spell but I can't math for my life.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Let it go!!! You have no idea what their background is, or where they're from, and it's best not worry about it and respond with some understanding of their meaning (which I know you have)....otherwise it will drive you crazy!!! B)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I think 75% of the people do it on purpose
  • nm2bsc
    nm2bsc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The beauty of being an intelligent human being (you) is that you can read "loose" and still understand the meaning based on the context of what those (less bright people than (not then) you) write even in poorly written English.
    It can be annoying, it's like a short circuit in the brain, but you'll survive.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's annoying, but you have to pick your battles. A lot of people, unfortunately, just don't care about proper spelling and grammar, so even if you do say something, it won't help.
  • Jean_Genie_let_herself_go
    Options
    Appears my comment stirred the emotions on here! I'll hang loose and won't lose sleep over it! Good luck on your weight loss journey everyone!
  • EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts, but I just keep it to myself. I have the same problem when reading someone's profile and whatnot, and someone messes up than and then, you're and your, they're and there and their, no and know. Usually if I notice my own typo I try to correct it. I feel like texting and character limiting such as twitter make people sound mentally challenged now, especially on dating profiles. "I wud lyke 2 find tht special sum1. I hpe itz u. Cum msg me and gt to no (instead of saying know) me." LMFAO! What's the point of going to school anymore if people aren't going to use the basics? I try not to judge people who have a difficult time spelling, but if I can't understand you and we're constantly messaging each other then that's when it becomes a problem. I just give up and move on. I dropped out of school because of my learning disability, but somehow I was always excellent at vocabulary and spelling. People in my family who teach English ask me how to spell words. haha
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    BAD PEOPLE!! LEARN TO SPELL!
  • dleivis87
    dleivis87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I get confused with affect and effect, so yeah, English is tough for the English speaking too.

Affect is the verb and effect is the noun. It's how I always remember the difference.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    dleiviska wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Affect is the verb and effect is the noun. It's how I always remember the difference.

Ah, thank you <3
  • lindsayp79
    lindsayp79 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Uggghh thank you for this post. It was driving me crazy!