How to figure up calories for local pizza place

Options
They don't have nutritional info or at least they were too lazy to give it to me. It's a 12 inch thin crust pepperoni and it's square cut.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Best you can do is find an entry for a comparable national chain (maybe Domino's thin crust?)

• jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would search for a similar pizza... Sometimes it's impossible to know exact calories and you just have to do the best you can!
  • zach121989
    zach121989 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's what I did. I only ate half so I compared it too a whole 12 inch dominos thin crust pepperoni and divided by 2. Came out to 680 calories. Hopefully that's close.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I would find a similar pizza from dominos pizza hut eagle boys or what ever larger chain you have locally.

Should be close enough.
  • makaryan11
    makaryan11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat anything that can't count calories, just skip all together, I can easily get off the track.
  • zach121989
    zach121989 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I haven't had pizza in a month, or went over my calories and been extremely honest with myself. So I think I earned it. It has to be close, it's not a very big pizza to begin with, and I only ate half. 680 calories for what I ate is probably about right.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    zach121989 wrote: »
    I haven't had pizza in a month, or went over my calories and been extremely honest with myself. So I think I earned it. It has to be close, it's not a very big pizza to begin with, and I only ate half. 680 calories for what I ate is probably about right.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable estimate.

When I was losing/logging, and I had to do an estimate like that, I would add on another 100 calories just to be safe. But being slightly off on a rare 'treat' like that isn't going to hurt you in the long run.
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    zach121989 wrote: »

That sounds like a pretty reasonable estimate.

When I was losing/logging, and I had to do an estimate like that, I would add on another 100 calories just to be safe. But being slightly off on a rare 'treat' like that isn't going to hurt you in the long run.

Agree if I run into that problem I always choose the entry with the highest calorie count.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,894 Member
    Options
    There exists a generic pizza entry, by the gram, in the database.
    There exist entries for Domino's and other national pizza chains.
    Decide if this is a think crust or a thick crust pizza.
    Then find a similar type pizza. Pick an average entry. Log it. if you're off a bit, you're off a bit.

Expect your weight to shoot up tomorrow because of water weight associated with the extra sodium and carbs you've probably ingested compared to your normal deficit eating. If water weight changes disturb you, start using a trending weight application to better highlight your underlying weight trend and to avoid being caught up in irrelevant water weight variation.

Good luck!
  • jgaffney86
    jgaffney86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just a side note. I have found the pizza chains to be a little higher in calories and what not than generic pizzas. I guess this is from all the garbage and chemicals in them to preserve it. So if you are using a chain pizza to count your local shop, Id say your safe,
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I work for a local pizza franchise office and our thin crust pepperoni comes to 700 calories for half of a 12 inch.
  • trisha1298
    trisha1298 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    makaryan11 wrote: »
    I personally don't eat anything that can't count calories, just skip all together, I can easily get off the track.

^^ good advice- I find I'm eating at chain restaurants a lot more now because they list their calories. People laugh when I say I go to McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Wendy's while I'm on a diet, but I can plan for it.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I agree with logging a similar pizza from a chain - that's what I've done for the 11 inch stuffed crust I'm getting tonight! I used the Domino's nutrition info.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of pizza. So I had to get more exact than 1 slice= x calories.

I researched the "typical" weight (grams) and calories in a slice of pizza and broke it down to calories per gram. I saved it in my recipes and Now I weigh each slice before I eat it and have a pretty good estimate of what each slice is "costing me".

The place I go to never slices the pizza uniformly so this saves me a lot of guessing. lol.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    A 16" thin (not super thin) crust pepperoni pizza will run ~2860 calories (at least, the ones I make at home do :smile: ), or 14.23 calories per square inch, so a 4x4 piece of pizza would be ~227 calories per slice on average. It'll be over/under depending on if you have a crust piece or a center piece.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options

That's pushing it considering most non chain resturant or places don't have them. Just log as close as you can and don't eat like that everyday = golden. I'd only really cut it out if you find yourself at a long plateau as its a likely culprit.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ^^ good advice- I find I'm eating at chain restaurants a lot more now because they list their calories. People laugh when I say I go to McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Wendy's while I'm on a diet, but I can plan for it.

It's true it's easier at chains but are you going to just eat from them forever? Being able to gauge calories in your food and becoming self aware of diet is a big part of sustained weightloss.

If you want to go out and fear a cal bomb eat lighter to accommodate for later or learn to eat some and save the rest.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I use Domino's website to estimate pizza calories. They have excellent nutritional info, you can build a pizza and they give the calories. The best you can really do is make an educated guess.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    We ate at a local chain that is similar to Papa Murphy's last night, so I just used Papa Murphy's info.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    While it is best to skip things without calories or nutritional information, it isn't always possible. And come on, do you REALLY think that the Pizza Hut pepperoni pizza that Teenage Joe made for me has the same amount of calories that the Pizza Hut pepperoni pizza Adult Judy made for you? They don't measure, they throw it on the pizza and toss it in the oven. Food chains are all estimates anyway. The calories they tell you are what they SHOULD be. So unless you refuse to eat out altogether (heaven forbid), it is always a guess.

What I tend to do is err on the side of caution and find something comparable but overestimate what it is. So if you ate 1/2 of a thin crust pizza from BillyzPyzzaShop, I would go and find a thin crust pizza from a chain (normally finding the one with the most calories) and do slightly more than half and call it good. Since I am not doing it daily, if I am over/under that one time it won't be a huge deal, but it is better to assume more calories than less when it comes to food.