Toast toppings

Options
Never been a breakfast guy but everyone talks about how it's so important, blah blah blah.

I never eat much. Usually try and get a glass of milk and OJ and a slice or two of toast. Normally I put crunchy peanut butter on my toast, but I've been looking to find something a little healthier than Skippy.

Besides PB, butter or fruit, does anybody have any suggestions for a healthy option to top my toast?

Replies

• lise_90
    lise_90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Light cheese triangles, avocado, pate?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the whole "most important meal of the day" is incorrect. If you don't want it, there's no need to eat it.

But you can put lots of things on toast. Avocado and cracked pepper, cottage cheese, cream cheese, laughing cow cheese (add some salsa, hot sauce etc for a bit more flavour), pate was a good suggestion...
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    When I'm splurging (calories and $) I like cream cheese, smoked salmon, tomato, red onion, and capers. Delicious!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Fat free cream cheese, vanilla protein powder, and some jelly.. aka cheese cake toast.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Firstly, the whole "most important meal of the day" is incorrect. If you don't want it, there's no need to eat it.

But you can put lots of things on toast. Avocado and cracked pepper, cottage cheese, cream cheese, laughing cow cheese (add some salsa, hot sauce etc for a bit more flavour), pate was a good suggestion...

I think the breakfast campaign was originally started by the cereal companies when constructing the nutritional pyramid. A lot of the studies at least I've seen are funded by cereal companies.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I never eat toast but the other night I had a bit of room so had a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and avocado on it. Delicious. But seriously...be creative. What about a slice of mozzarella, tomato, and some balsamic vinegar?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Warchortle wrote: »

I think the breakfast campaign was originally started by the cereal companies when constructing the nutritional pyramid. A lot of the studies at least I've seen are funded by cereal companies.

Yup, 'breakfast food' as a concept is a total crock. Much of the Western world seems to have been convinced that not only MUST you have breakfast, you MUST only have particular kinds of foods at breakfast. It's not even logical. No one bats an eye at someone having a ham, cheese and tomato croissant for breakfast, because it is "breakfast food". But heat up some left over roast beef, roast potato, and cauliflower cheese, and you get the shocked "you eat that for breakfast?". But why?? Same food groups, same macros... if the amounts are roughly the same, there is basically no nutritional difference.

The concept of 'breakfast foods' was invented by companies who sell 'breakfast food'.

I know there are studies which show that children function better at school when they have had breakfast, but they are specific to kids and have nothing to do with weight loss etc, but rather brain function. The "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" thing, in terms of nutrition and weight loss appears to have been debunked.
  • tinab190
    tinab190 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheeses are great. Spreads easy on toast and its 35 calories a wedge. Spicy pepper jack is my favorite. But there are lots of flavors, savory and sweet.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    tinab190 wrote: »
    Laughing Cow cheeses are great. Spreads easy on toast and its 35 calories a wedge. Spicy pepper jack is my favorite. But there are lots of flavors, savory and sweet.

What sweet flavors? I've only seen savory.
  • beardybuddha73
    beardybuddha73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »
    When I'm splurging (calories and $) I like cream cheese, smoked salmon, tomato, red onion, and capers. Delicious!

That sounds amazing!!!

Had a similar breakfast in Ireland almost every morning on my one trip there.

And now I want to go back to Ireland super bad!

Thank you!
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I never eat toast but the other night I had a bit of room so had a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and avocado on it. Delicious. But seriously...be creative. What about a slice of mozzarella, tomato, and some balsamic vinegar?

Yeah I've seen folks put a bruscetta like mix on toast. Thought about that too. Trying to avoid as much cheese as possible for the time being but these all sound so good!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is hummus and tomato slices with salt and pepper. I also second avocado slices (I usually add salsa).
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    tinab190 wrote: »

I've never had it before. May have to give it a whirl. Thank you!
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    One of my favorites is hummus and tomato slices with salt and pepper. I also second avocado slices (I usually add salsa).

Never thought to put hummus on toast that's brilliant!!
  • sarodriguez372
    sarodriguez372 Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Turn your broiler on or If u have a toaster oven then get your bread and out sliced cheese the top that with sliced tomato little salt and pepper and maybe a little dash or Italian seasoning. It's yummy! I am the same way as u all I ate is peanut butter on toast but I found an all natural crunchy peanut butter I love called Adams that replaced my skippy
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cheese, avocado, siracha
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you like peanut butter and it fits in your calories, keep eating peanut butter. There's nothing unhealthy about it in moderation, within the context of a well-rounded diet. I love peanut butter and refuse to entirely give up foods I love. I eat less of it than I used to, but I still eat it.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    re-fried beans
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you like peanut butter and it fits in your calories, keep eating peanut butter. There's nothing unhealthy about it in moderation, within the context of a well-rounded diet. I love peanut butter and refuse to entirely give up foods I love. I eat less of it than I used to, but I still eat it.

I am a bit of the opposite. Cutting out pizza entirely so I can keep drinking lol.

But thanks for the advice. I'll probably stay with the PB since that's the only time I'll eat it.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I actually make burgers on regular toast bread.

Some of the best burgers I've had weren't on burger buns.