Teacher Troubles

Options
So, for all my teacher friends out there, how the heck do you get the in a work out during the week? As a high school teacher with four preps and something always demanding going on at my job, I just can't get up to the gym. I get to work early, stay late, and I'm just exhausted by the time I finally get home!! I am keeping my eating in check but I would like a chance to work out more...is the only answer to wait for Spring Break to come?! Thoughts?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Start at 4 am?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    suck it up and do it like everyone else. the rest of us aren't kicking back with loads of free time and abundant extra energy either.
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As a fellow educator I feel your frustration! I'd try morning workouts. It's tough to get up and moving, but it ensures you have time. Maybe try it for two weeks and see if you're more energized during your day. Otherwise fit in longer weekend workouts and pick one day a week to skip grading and workout instead.
    Start at 4 am?

Lol maybe 5
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I sneak out as often as I can at lunch. I do cardio and weights before I go to work as often as I can, and like you, do the best I can.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Try to do stuff during your lunch if you can, try and walk around more during the day, stand in class if you can, etc. I think for you if you can really increase your non-exercise activity throughout the day it should be good enough for general health.

If you are determined to do something like weight lifting, you know the answer to your question. Your only option is to suck it up and go WAY early or WAY late. :(
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Wow, four preps? You're a beast! Lol. I have two, and it's a lot.

Maybe you could track your steps at work to make sure you're staying active (I know I sail right past 10,000 before 3pm, and I teach seniors), and then add in short (like 15-20 mins) high-intensity and/or weight training workouts on three weekdays with longer workouts on weekends. You're probably getting a lot of low impact activity at work, so I think it would make sense to go with shorter, high-intensity workouts.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If you want it, you'll make time for it. What about going to the gym Saturday, Sunday and then one or two weeknights for 30 mins ? Surely you have 30 mins on one weeknight?
    Figure out a plan of which days work best and keep to it. Place your gym bag in your car and stop at the gym on your way home at night .
    I work 12 hr days on my feet and have kids, dogs, husband , waitress at nights for extra money occasionally and still made 30 mins for gym time. It just takes planning and motivation
  • kathy0224
    kathy0224 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I was running it was at 4:30am. Now I'm lifting instead & it is when I get home at 8pm.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Hm..I'm a teacher, though I work at a private school and get off a little earlier on Fridays. Otherwise, if I'm going to the gym it's a 12-13 hour day door to door. It's just what needs to get done.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    We all have priorities. If exercise is one of yours, you'll find the time. Good luck!
  • lizzypadhi
    lizzypadhi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have done is go running around the school when students leave. After I run, I'll go back into my classroom and work. It helps break up the day and gives me a break from being in my room forever.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Teachers should have high activity levels...get a fitbit or similar to log your steps if you want

Use the school gym?

Prioritise

Go straight after or before work
  • perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I get up early to do my exercise - I've got a desk job that doesn't allow for much movement and a commute that makes gym time kind of out of the question unless I don't want to see my family. So I get up at 4:30 and run, lift weights whatever.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Last year my timetable was better and I managed by gym time. This year I mostly teach seniors, so when I get home around 5, I'm back at the desk. The only thing I manage are really short ones in the evening, like 30 Day Shred or the occasional walk if I need to go shopping anyway.

So, I'd just stick with DVD and youtube workouts.
  • piperjosie
    piperjosie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does your school have a track? I am an assistant principal at an elementary school across the street from a high school with a track around their football field. I bring my workout clothes and walk across the street to the track when my work day is done. I try to go two days a week on afternoons when I don't have meetings. If I make myself leave by 4:00, I can get my run done before dark.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    LOL at the idea of a teacher having time to go out for lunch.

You have to just get over the exhausted feeling and get into the gym. I try to tell my coworkers that we have to start valuing our health more. I treat my gym time like I treat a doctor's appointment. When it's time to leave so I can get to the gym, I leave. Teachers, as a whole, donate way too much free labor. Go take care of yourself and don't let unrealistic expectations dominate your life.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Go get a job where you have to work weekends, holidays, overnights, and 24 hour shifts. Then come back to your teaching job. You'll appreciate your schedule. Like others have said, we all have to work around our crazy lives. Perhaps you need to take a hard look at your daily routine and cut something out. Does the school have workout equipment? Go use that.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    It is lots easier if you don't have kids at home. I pick out one week day that I make myself go to the "YMCA"- I also go on one of the weekend days, both of those are strength training days. Since I have a treadmill in my basement, I do that on other days. Or, I find a good cardio exercise 30 minute youtube. Free. Or, put on some upbeat music at home and dance. Nobody has to know. Get the heart rate up. Sometimes, when I think I'm too tired to exercise, I actually am just overly stressed and NEED to move my body. Once you're in the habit, you will feel the huge payoff in your stamina.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I get up an hour earlier to run, and get home in time to wake everyone else up, then do a longer run on Sunday morning. Exercise bike before school on non- running days. Teaching plus my own children rules out the gym. I've just bought "you are your own gym" to give me ideas for more exercise at home - again, before anyone else is awake.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I am not a teacher but don't have much free time. I wake up early to do a workout DVD, currently lifting weights. Two or three nights a week on my stationary bike at home. Extra on the weekend if I have time. It's a priority and I realized the only time of the day I knew I was free was right after waking up. So I now get up an hour earlier than I used to and it's been a great way to start my work day!