Exercise logging with activity tracker

Options
Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can answer a question that's been confusing me. I recently received a Garmin Vivofit (1st Gen). I have not been using a HRM with it. I have been running 2.5-3 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. If I run on a treadmill there is a calorie counter on it, and if I run outside I use MapMyRun to log it. I sync the vivofit with MFP through Garmin Connect. Should I be logging those runs as exercises, though? I don't know if the "active calories" in Garmin Connect are including the runs. Today, for example, the treadmill said 446 calories burned while GC said 330 active calories burned. Should I log the 446 cardio? Should I leave them out all together? Does the Vivofit know the difference between running steps and walking steps and account for that calorie-wise? Any help would be much appreciated. Having all of these apps and gadgets is cool, but they're all kind of useless if the information isn't deciphered accurately. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DawneMorris
    DawneMorris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's all very confusing with Garmin. I use it to log my lunch walk, get a decent calorie burn for my 20 minutes then do another 10000 steps through the day and get a mere 87 calories for it??? Fitbit used to give me a lot more (possibly too much) for the same distance - my husband had 600 calories for the same amount of steps?