what to eat when you have to use the canteen?

Options
mk0212
mk0212 Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. For 7 months last year, I was working overseas, in a place where I didn't really have access to a healthy food and had to use the canteen instead. All stodge, everything yellow, the odd overcooked vegetable. I was also working ridiculous hours and couldn't bring myself to go to the gym, so unsurprisingly I've gained quite a bit of weight.

I'm about to move overseas again, where the situation is very similar. Compound living, no access to supermarkets (as far as I'm aware), and it'll be canteen food again.

I can ship out dried food, and even a microwave/hot plate if I want to. So I'm definitely going to take porridge oats, sugar free muesli and maybe some protein powder.

I know this is a bit of a ridiculous question - but does anyone have any tips on what else to bring so I can at least skip some of the stodge at the canteen?

Secondly, I'm trying to find an exercise regime/programme I enjoy to avoid gaining even more weight. Ideally something I can do at home. I can ship out small bits of exercise kit, but nothing big like a stationary bike. Anyone else working out at home? What has worked for you?

Thank you!

Replies

• NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    go the the MFP Blog at the top of the page and when there search on "body weight" and there will be many exercise routines that do not require fancy equipment. I would also do the same kind of search say "body weight exercise" on the internet for more info.
    If you have access to a DVD player maybe something like P90X would be a help.
    Of course walking/jogging/running if there is room and a safe location for off hours.
    Sorry, no help at all on the food end as I have only traveled where there are lots of options.
    Good luck, don't give up and be safe.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Check for possible access to local markets, and watch portion sizes for the canteen. Where ever you are going, if there is access to any local markets I would take advantage of them (using suitable caution of course to avoid becoming ill). Walking, bike, body weight exercises can help with the fitness part of the equation.