Michael Mosley TV show 6/01/16

Options
Whitezombiegirl
Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Did anyone lse see Trust Me, I'm A Doctor on Wednesday (UK TV)?

I found it really interesting. The main points examined (with studies) were:

- Protein shakes do indeed target muscles which have been recently worked (used tissue samples as evidence) and quite quickly. Though they found that use of protien supplements did NOT preserve or build more muscles over time. (Used 2 groups in the study- with & without supplements). The programme stressed the importance of resistance training into later life to preserve muscle mass- even small amounts is beneficial. (stated that 1% a year after 40 is typically lost)
- Detox/ Super-food drinks may contain less (in some cases significantly less) or similar amounts of antioxidants as a glass of orange juice- and most of the anti-oxidants are just vitamin C.
- Consuming large amounts of anti-oxidants at one time may not actually be good for you. Oxidats are necessary in building muscale ad the body makes whatever anti-oxidants it requires. Studies show that after consumung an anti-oxidant rich drink the levels in the body the next day are significantly lower. The programme stated that it seemed to mess the bodys levels up and that the benefit of fruit and veg is NOT the antioxidants! They stated that the blerb on detox drinks and smoothies was all extreame woo!
- They looked at Sports drinks too and discussed how they are no more rehyrdating than water. They showed how to make your own if your electrolytes were off- with water, sugar and salt. I wasn't paying too much attention for this bit sorry.
- Finally they repeated a study about the difference in fat burning between men and women. They said that men tend to draw on carbs for energy and excerising fasted is better for men to burn fat BUT the opposite was true for women- and that exercising after eating burns more fat for women.

They did cite studies - and stressed that this was new research and needs more study etc. It was a BBC documentary which I find to be generally good quality. It was interesting and will definately make me think.

Replies

• youngpip
    youngpip Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the program but do like Michael Mosely's stuff, generally very interesting and balanced.

Glad to see them raising the issue of anti-oxidants. The idea of them being something healthy to seek out has been discredited many times over. Check out Ben Goldacre's book Bad Science which has a great chapter on it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I don't watch TV (it rots your brain lol) but at least that sounds halfway intelligent.