21 day fix

Options
Hi everybody I've been using this app for awhile and I like it but now I want to try the 21 day fix program with the premeasured color coded containers. I'm want to use this app with that program. Has anyone combined the two?

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The general opinion is that there's no need to combine the two, because this app is free and the containers aren't. Weight loss itself is free, and it can even save you some money.
  • fireguy262
    fireguy262 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the 21-day fix, but someone at work swears by it. The way I feel about it, is its not a new concept. Its all about portion control, just with colored Tupperware. You can easily figure out the portions of each category you needs and save some money in the meantime. MFP definitely also helps with the portion control and eating the right things. In the end, your going to do what you need to do, but I don't think getting a colored Tupperware set and calling a fancy name with a fancy infomercial is worth the money. Get the portions under control, and its basically the same thing.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i guarantee you i could pack a lot of calories into those little colored tupperware LOLOLOL

you dont need fancy systems. take your money and buy a food scale. learn how to accurately weigh your food and log it. Stay within your calorie goals. Use MFP as a (FREE!) tool.

The end.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I know that putting your food into little containers isn't a necessity for losing weight or seeing proper portion sizes, but I bought two sets of the containers from a site that offered knock offs and *cough* found the workouts online. I've been using the program for two weeks, though certainly not as strictly as they want.

The thing that opened my eyes the most about the program is the amount of food in each container. I still weigh what's in them, but you get A LOT for such small-looking containers. And what you don't get is also hard to contend with.

For example, I can only have cheese or "healthy fat" like nuts and mashed avocado once a day. I can only have one small orange container of dressing or seeds like flax and sunflower once a day. My yellow container is 1/4 cup, so I can only have 1/4 cup of rice or potatoes with my meal. It looks like such a small amount, but once I have 4 ounces of red container protein and 1 1/4 cup of green vegetable, I find I don't need that much carb.

If I truly try to keep with the set amount of containers and find meals that incorporate a good balance of each, I consistently meet my macros. My blood sugar has regulated 100%, as before just eating what I thought was good and balanced I was hungry between meals.

I also don't swap a yellow container for a treat or milk. If I followed the plan like that, I'd never come close to my calorie goal. I always have calories left over for a treat!

I use the containers less and less now because I've memorized what I can have. I think it's at least an awesome guide for macros! But is it magic and necessary for weight loss? Not at all. Just make sure you weigh your food too.

I freaking hate the workouts. AKA I love them because they are so hard! I'm always swearing and sweating after a 30 minute session. I like home workouts due to my busy schedule. Autumn Calabrese is so motivating and not at all annoying. You can supplement your own exercise, of course.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    MFP is free and does the same thing, and even more flexibly (in my opinion), but 21 day fix has pretty colored containers that may be motivating, and give people just the structure they need, along with concrete suggestions for types and amounts of foods to eat to hit their goals. Some people like to crack numbers (and enjoy the high level of abstraction), others are more visual (and may need more guidance). Both methods work, if you apply them correctly. You can cheat with either, too.

It sounds like double work to combine them, and I can't see how you would go about doing it. But hey, I'm planning/logging my food in a spreadsheet moving around color coded items, and I started doing that while I still logged in MFP. It's not always about what is easy or cheap, but about what feels fun/interesting/safe, and that is individual.

If paying for a program isn't something that motivates you, you can get some similar containers very cheap, just google what amounts goes into each one.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second 21 Day Fix round and use both because I like to know exactly what is going in my body. Combined with Shakeology and 21 day fix exercises the program is absolutely more than portion control.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    2dogzrule wrote: »
    I'm on my second 21 Day Fix round and use both because I like to know exactly what is going in my body. Combined with Shakeology and 21 day fix exercises the program is absolutely more than portion control.

Portion control AND exercise, yes. (What makes every program that works, work.) But what else?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you already have the containers or have the program, you could always try it and see how it works for you. I have them, but only because it can with Hammer and Chisel but the calorie Ievel for which they have me identified as is crazy low. Based on their calculations I should eat 1900-2100 calories. But since I maintain at 3000 calories, that would be too little for me.

But if you find the contains help you learn portion control, then more power to you as anything to help you succeed (that is healthy) is good.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i bought the 21 day fix program, gave away the exercise DVD to a co-worker. i haven't followed the food list, but at some point i will use the containers for portion learning. i use the food list for Slimming World USA, and log everything on MFP.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

If it's supposed to be a fix, why did you need to do it again?

MFP teaches you to eat within your calorie limit for free, a habit that will keep you at a healthy weight for life. Works for me.
  • fkemp
    fkemp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful replies. I now have a better concept of how to go about it. I'm not buying the containers but I did Google the size of each and printed the food list. I read on the 21df site that if you log into MFP on a computer (not mobile device) you can change your meal names to colors to match your meals. I need portion control, meal prepping, and calorie counting. Combining the two programs is ideal for me.
  • gizzylove
    gizzylove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    where can i go to find out the correct portion size for everything?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

MFP teaches you to eat within your calorie limit for free, a habit that will keep you at a healthy weight for life. Works for me.

+1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Its just a marketing name. In the most simplest form the containers just equate to calories. Its a method to learn portion control and focus on more nutrient dense foods.

And doing multiple rounds doesnt mean you didnt learn, its just a cycle. Its no different then doing multiple eounds of a lifting program.

If they have the 21df dvds it would be doing a second round of a 60 day workout plan.
  • fkemp
    fkemp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    gizzylove wrote: »
    where can i go to find out the correct portion size for everything?
    http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/21-Day-Fix-Shopping-List.html
    This is a good site. There's also sites with printable list and meal plans. Google 21 day fix printablesn or templates.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Its just a marketing name.In the most simplest form the containers just equate to calories. Its a method to learn portion control and focus on more nutrient dense foods.

And doing multiple rounds doesnt mean you didnt learn, its just a cycle. Its no different then doing multiple eounds of a lifting program.

If they have the 21df dvds it would be doing a second round of a 60 day workout plan.

I think people get really caught up on the name. I've never personally followed the plan, but I have done some of Autumn's workouts that she has posted on Youtube and they're good workouts. They range from like 7-8 minutes, so it's not a full workout, but you can combine them to a 30 minute workout.

OP, I say, do what works for you. Some people look down on Beachbody workouts, and I get it they're hella expensive, but the ones I have done (T25, Insanity, & Insanity Max 30) have been really great programs. My absolute favorites are the ones with Shaun T. I'm not the biggest fan of Tony H, but my friend gave me her P90X3 program b/c it triggered her asthma, and it was a solid program as well. I'm sure Autumn's workouts are excellent.