How do you add mystery restaurant foods?

Options
Tonight the hubby and I will probably be going to Dogfish Head for dinner tonight. You can not get nutritional info on their food and myfitnesspal only has their beers. How do you log in the calories for a meal that you have NO CLUE what's in it. I know that there are always high calorie mystery ingredients in most restaurant foods. I have no idea how to log this. Ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    drink only beer (i suggest IIPAs) so you can be sure of the nutritional info ;)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just try to enter as many of the ingredients as I can individually. Or I find something that sounds close. Enjoy! Love Dogfish Head beer! I used to work for Stoudt's Brewing Company, have you ever had any of their beer?
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just compare it to another restaurant like it.

Most of all, ENJOY it.
  • helvetikat
    helvetikat Posts: 21
    Options
    I eat at small local restaurants a lot, and often run into this problem. I just try to search and find something similar that is already in MFP's database.
  • Larommi
    Larommi Posts: 25
    Options
    I find something close and if there is multiple choices I always pick the most calories or round up on the calories, just to be safe.

A
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    i would probably try to find something close to the menu item. otherwise, you can always ask for things to be grilled instead of fried and other alternatives. have you searched google for the nutrition information? you can always add it manually under foods. enjoy the night out!
  • Larommi
    Larommi Posts: 25
    Options
    A lot of restaurants get food from places like Sysco, so you can try looking there as well.
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would add it in as a recipe, That way I can list some of the main ingredients get the calories you need.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Dogfish, don't know how high-end it is. But I figure if I'm spending a bunch of money somewhere, I have a right to know *exactly* what I'm getting. I pick foods that I *think* would be good for me / on my diet. Then when it's time to order, I tell them I have multiple food allergies (I don't, but I tell them that 'cause it gets results, no restaurant wants a customer going into anaphylactic shock) and then I ask for an ingredient list for those foods I'm considering ordering. For example, that will let you know whether they put flour in their sauce (which skyrockets the carb count). They don't have to give you their secret recipe, you don't have to know how much garlic or paprika or how many eggs they use, you just need to know that it's in there. That usually lets me make what I think is a pretty accurate estimate, entering the ingredients individually.

My other suggestion is just to never go to a restaurant in the first place, if they don't have the courtesy to provide nutrition information up front. Most do, nowadays, so I can go online & decide what I'm ordering long before I ever set foot in the door.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would just have been for dinner and log it, but that is just me.

You can always pick something close from a similar menu, when in doubt I estimate over or add quick calories.
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Call them ahead of time and ask for the calories of items you are interested in. Restaurants are slower these days(recessions) and typically more than happy to accomodate your request. My husband and I just had an anniversary lunch at a restaurant and they custom made a desert for us to fit our dietary restrictions. If you call early in the day this will get them time to come up with something for you.

Other than that order sauces on the side and measure what you use. Salad dressing on the side, I have worked in restaruants and they ladle the dressing into a bowl, then put the sald in, and it is way too much!

Have a great evening with your husband!
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm always having this problem since I live in a Chicago suburb. There are so many joints and authentic and family restaurants, I almost never eat at a chain anymore. I try to estimate using a chain restaurant that I think is closest. I really wish more individual places would offer their nutritional info, or at least an estimate.
  • pittielover23
    Options
    I find something close from another restaurant. I figure it is going to be somewhat similar since most restaraunts use similar additives.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Call them ahead of time and ask for the calories of items you are interested in.

Non-chain restaurants do not have this information. It would be like calling up your grandmother and asking how many calories are in her Sunday dinner. Chain restaurants by law must have this information, and I believe a "chain" is defined as having 20+ locations.

To answer the original question, I just find something similar in the MFP database or break it down myself by ingredient. Like for lunch today, I had leftovers from a local Thai place. I just took an MFP listing for pad thai that seemed reasonable and went with it.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to suck it and call this day a wash as there is NO WAY I could even try to figure out any of the entrees there. We decided to go to a place called Tower Oaks Lodge which is owned by Clydes. Every meal is complex with lots of ingredients and i'm sure cooked with lots of butter and oil. I don't see any good way getting out of this one...plus I only have 700 calories left for the day. It's surely going to go over that...not to mention there are about 12 desserts that look A-MAZING. :-D
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to suck it and call this day a wash as there is NO WAY I could even try to figure out any of the entrees there.
    I hear you. If I can't figure it out, I usually wind up logging as 1000, 2000, or 3000 calories, depending on how full I feel! So far, haven't had to do 3000.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    As someone with allergies I always ask the servers what's in a dish. Especially if it is something I can't identify. For me it is a matter of life or death because weird things trigger a reaction. I have to carry an epi-pen to be safe.