Too much Sugar????

Options
Anyone else having a problem staying within their sugar intake? I don't think of myself as eating too much sugar, but I am constantly over my suggested sugar intake. BTW a lot of my sugar does come from fruits and milk, so I'm thinking I shouldn't worry as much? Thoughts or Suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• daisymaegreen
    daisymaegreen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i'm curious about this as well, as i'm always over my sugar intake.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unless you have a particular reason to worry about sugars... don't! Especially if it's coming from fruit.... you get all the other stuff packaged with them in the fruit.. micronutrients, fiber to help slow the absorption etc. Let it ride. Don't go overboard on the fruit but I'd not worry about that source of sugar.
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and being diabetic it drives me nuts sometimes. So many regular foods have sugar. I try to stay close but am working on not worrying if it is from food (veggies and fruit) and not processed sugar. I even watch labels and go for the product with the least amount of sugar most times. You are doing great BTW!!!
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was about to log the same question on the forum - but did a search first and found this thread.

I have just added sugars as one of the aspects that i track in my food diary and found that I am always over my sugar intake.

Eating one small apple is 33% of my daily sugar target. Given that - It would seem that something is pretty screwed up with this measurement system.

Would love to hear the opinions from more people on this aspect.
  • artificialdream
    artificialdream Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am having the same exact same "problem". The other day I ate an apple, a banana and some strawberries and went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over my sugar intake. Ridiculous.

Granted - there are some "diets" out there that - don't allow - you to eat fruit, in order to aid in weightloss. But it is my personal opinion that is just absurd - there are too many benefits for your health that come from fresh FRUITS and veggies.

I stopped tracking my sugar. It's fruit for goodness sake. Not enough people eat fruit, and I don't want to be one of them.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Me too. I do what I can on the sugars, but I'm way over.

I had a salad yesterday with fruit in it that killed me on my sugars.

I don't even want to know what they were like when I was drinking soda all day long. 1 can is already over my daily allowance.
  • candiigraham
    candiigraham Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I had a banana and fat free yogurt and I am in the red. I'm not gonna worry about it right now. I have 35 pounds to lose and that needs my immediate attention. I am thinking about removing it from my tracker
    I was about to log the same question on the forum - but did a search first and found this thread.

I have just added sugars as one of the aspects that i track in my food diary and found that I am always over my sugar intake.

Eating one small apple is 33% of my daily sugar target. Given that - It would seem that something is pretty screwed up with this measurement system.

Would love to hear the opinions from more people on this aspect.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    It's because the person that came up with the sugar limit has no idea what they're doing. Unless you're prone to diabetic problems, don't worry so much about the sugar. A gram of sugar is 4 calories. A gram of a complex carbohydrate is also 4 calories. Your body will store/use those calories as needed and it's not going to matter if it comes from a banana or not.
  • shannonfarkas
    shannonfarkas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar...no matter what they call it on the label...dextrose, corn syrup, fructose...it's all sugar. If you're going to eat sugar, make sure it comes from a natural source (i.e. fruits). If you eat yogurt, that could be a HUGE factor in going over your sugar count. Watch out for fruit flavored yogurt. It can have upwards of 22 grams of sugar per serving!!! Dannon Lite and Fit makes a great yogurt that has 3 grams of carbs and 2 grams of sugar. It's called Carb and Sugar control. It's a little more pricey but better for you. I've seen it in vanilla and strawberry. I buy plain greek yogurt and add a half a scoop of flavored whey protein to it. The greek yogurt has about 9 grams of sugar but the protein count is great, so I'll sacrifice for that. Also, watch labels that say "low fat" or "fat free." There may be extra sugar or carbs in there to replace the fat. With your fruits, I'd suggest only eating them in the morning or after an intense workout to refill the glycogen in your muscles. Bananas have some of the highest sugar counts, while berries are lower. Try to stick with lower sugar fruits.

I had the same problem also at one point but started really watching labels. Sugar (well any kind of carbojydrates...) have and always will be my worst enemy. Best of luck! :)