Starting Over Again... :(

Options
So, I have been off the bandwagon (no consistent exercise or healthy eating) for a little over a year now and got up to 140, which is overweight for my height and frame. I have been so depressed, but I feel like even when I know junk food is my issue... I still lean on it as a comfort thing. Does anyone else have this issue and what are some ways you have been able to overcome comfort food cravings?

Replies

• worddigger
    worddigger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey... I understand! I have been using meditation and prayer...trying to really focus in on me for a change, and not in the self absorbed way that seems to come easy... I am beginning to believe the saying that we have to love ourselves first before anything else for the first time in my life... In all areas... Every day is a challenge, every moment, an accomplishment. Wish you the best on your new journey, we will get there!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    There's a couple options that I can think of. You can look at it as more meeting your bodies daily requirements for protein fat and fiber, in order for your body to function properly you need a minimum of each. Once you meet those goals, any calories left over can be used to incorporate a treat as long as you stay within your daily calories you can have a snack without guilt. It's referred to as IIFYM (If it fits your macros) or flexible dieting. Meeting your daily minimums will use up most of your calories, so it's not just eating treats as much as it is fitting them in when possible.

If you find that incorporating snacks causes you to binge or go off track. You can cut them out and do clean eating for a while, until you feel you can incorporate things you enjoy back into your regular diet without them derailing you.

I'd recommend trying the flexible dieting approach first though.
  • amgjb
    amgjb Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey.

I've been up and down for three years. My problem is that I love food and drink haha it's great!

I've just started back and know I'll give it a good go again this time, best way to think of it, sticking to a healthy life style is like threading a needle your probably not going to get it on the first, second or third time, but you will get it! just don't give up. Your back on here so your making the right move. Get some positive friends around you and let's get it done :)

Good luck
  • beardybuddha73
    beardybuddha73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So, I have been off the bandwagon (no consistent exercise or healthy eating) for a little over a year now and got up to 140, which is overweight for my height and frame. I have been so depressed, but I feel like even when I know junk food is my issue... I still lean on it as a comfort thing. Does anyone else have this issue and what are some ways you have been able to overcome comfort food cravings?

I was up to 330 at one point. Dropped to 245 in 14 months, then slowly crept up to 270 over the past four years.

Just got back on the wagon myself though.

Drink a glass of water and eat some fruit or veggies or nuts.

Big keys for me are never buying the junk in the first place, planning out exactly what you're going to eat the next day and of course, counting those calories with this app.

Don't get discouraged. Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    In hindsight, I realized that my overeating usually started long before I was actually putting food in my mouth. I'd be at school or at work and already planning and thinking about what junk food I wanted to eat when I went home. If that sounds like something you do, then I'd suggest trying to cut off the thoughts before they become actions. That may be very different from your experience, but I just wanted to share in case it's helpful!
  • Urthepinetomyapple
    Urthepinetomyapple Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In hindsight, I realized that my overeating usually started long before I was actually putting food in my mouth. I'd be at school or at work and already planning and thinking about what junk food I wanted to eat when I went home. If that sounds like something you do, then I'd suggest trying to cut off the thoughts before they become actions. That may be very different from your experience, but I just wanted to share in case it's helpful!

This 'was' me, once i realised what i was doing i started changing it, so far so good :)
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It happens - don't beat yourself up, just note your habits. What's causing you to reach for comfort? Is there something else you could reward or comfort yourself with?
  • prettyeyez55
    prettyeyez55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I lost over 80 pounds and over the past 3 years I gained back 60 of it. i was feeling the same way. but now its time to pull through! you will find what is causing the issue and will be able to make the change!
  • shauneeraeecho
    shauneeraeecho Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    PaveGurl wrote: »
    It happens - don't beat yourself up, just note your habits. What's causing you to reach for comfort? Is there something else you could reward or comfort yourself with?

I think just daily stresses of work and school can overwhelm me some days. It's easily to mindlessly snack while at my desk or studying as well. I suppose I never really thought about other things that I can do regularly to ease the stress. That's a great point you brought up. :)
  • shauneeraeecho
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I lost over 80 pounds and over the past 3 years I gained back 60 of it. i was feeling the same way. but now its time to pull through! you will find what is causing the issue and will be able to make the change!

Wow, you go girl! That is some serious dedication, and I'm happy to hear that you have a positive mindset about it now. Thanks for the encouraging words!
  • shauneeraeecho
    Options

I find myself doing this!!!! This is a really helpful piece of advice. Thanks!
  • shauneeraeecho
    Options

I was up to 330 at one point. Dropped to 245 in 14 months, then slowly crept up to 270 over the past four years.

Just got back on the wagon myself though.

Drink a glass of water and eat some fruit or veggies or nuts.

Big keys for me are never buying the junk in the first place, planning out exactly what you're going to eat the next day and of course, counting those calories with this app.

Don't get discouraged. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Congrats for your successes! I think planning definitely is a good thing, I know I have definitely NOT been doing so.
  • shauneeraeecho
    Options
    amgjb wrote: »
    Hey.

I've been up and down for three years. My problem is that I love food and drink haha it's great!

I've just started back and know I'll give it a good go again this time, best way to think of it, sticking to a healthy life style is like threading a needle your probably not going to get it on the first, second or third time, but you will get it! just don't give up. Your back on here so your making the right move. Get some positive friends around you and let's get it done :)

Good luck

Yeah, I feel the same way. I love to indulge lol.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat girl! Currently getting ready to get back on the wagon. 2016 has been very overwhelming so far so I've decided to make myself small goals each week or even month. I think I get so easily overwhelmed by all that I need to accomplish and don't know where to start first but I think that mapping out some goals that will amount to big changes is the best way for me to go. Everyone is different and it's just important for you to find what works best. We got this! Fortunately, (or unfortunately) everyone here is in this together!
  • shauneeraeecho
    Options
    worddigger wrote: »
    Hey... I understand! I have been using meditation and prayer...trying to really focus in on me for a change, and not in the self absorbed way that seems to come easy... I am beginning to believe the saying that we have to love ourselves first before anything else for the first time in my life... In all areas... Every day is a challenge, every moment, an accomplishment. Wish you the best on your new journey, we will get there!

That is a very interesting approach. I have had success with meditation in the past for living an overall happier lifestyle, and maybe that is why I am struggling. Thank you for your encouragement!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the exact same thing. I ran a half marathon at the end of January last year and haven't done a lick of exercise since. I had planned to get through a major life event and then pick back up with my running, but then another major life event happened, and all the stress and depression that went with it left me on the couch snacking, telling myself it was self care.

For me, being active during times when I would normally snack has been the only way out of it. Instead of coming home from work and eating, I come home from work and do a workout dvd or go for a walk. I find I'm less "hungry" after. I usually just eat my dinner and don't even want a snack.
  • worddigger
    Options
    You got it...
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Do you know roughly how much you spend on 'junk' in a month? If you do put that amount in a jar and everytime you buy something you shouldn't take that money from the jar. You get to keep what's left to buy something you actually want. Money is a ridiculously effective incentive.

Take a shopping list and stick to it - this is really hard, shops are exceptionally good at getting you to buy what you didn't go in for. They know that if you buy it you will eat/drink it. As a family we used to buy 12 cans of coke in the two weekly shop and when the 24 can container was on offer thought we would bulk buy. We ended up buying 24 cans every two weeks.

And finally, look in the mirror and repeat after me "I am awesome", as it happens I am and so, I suspect, are you ;-)
  • worddigger
    Options
    Awesome incentives!!!