Hey Guys! I have a question. Very Important.

Options
So, here's the down-low. I have an xbox 360 Kinect, and I use the game Dance Central for aerobics. Its been really good and I'm enjoying it. As long as I have been doing it I've put it intp the MFP system as Aerobics, General. That's worked for me.

However, I recently discovered that my game has a workout mode! Awesome...except, its cutting my calories burned by like a third. MFP says Aerobics, General for 30 minutes burns 332 calories (for me). Dance Central says in 22 minutes I burn 137. Now why is that? I'm really confused, and I'm not exactly sure which one to trust. Help??

Replies

• katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would trust the Kinect. MFP overestimates a lot! I just invested in a heartrate monitor...my 12 minute mile runs I only burn about 80-90 calories...but MFP was telling me it was like 130. If you can, get a HRM...Im so happy I did!
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    MFP generally way overestimates calories burned. The only way you can be completely accurate is to use a heart rate monitor (ones with the chest strap are the most accurate).
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So, here's the down-low. I have an xbox 360 Kinect, and I use the game Dance Central for aerobics. Its been really good and I'm enjoying it. As long as I have been doing it I've put it intp the MFP system as Aerobics, General. That's worked for me.

However, I recently discovered that my game has a workout mode! Awesome...except, its cutting my calories burned by like a third. MFP says Aerobics, General for 30 minutes burns 332 calories (for me). Dance Central says in 22 minutes I burn 137. Now why is that? I'm really confused, and I'm not exactly sure which one to trust. Help??

What parameters did the xbox ask you for?
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    This site over estimates calories by quite a bit. I have a HRM and was amazed i burned about half of what the treadmill said and 2/3 of what the database said. I would trust the Kinnect more becasue 127 in 22 minutes is reasonable, 332 in 30 is a lot!
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Go on eBay and you can get one cheep! A friend of mine just go one for 11$ and yea that included shipping!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Always stick to the lower number. That way you dont go over on calories.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    You are truthfully probably somewhere in the middle. You would be better off believing the XBOX because under counting will make you work harder next time compared to over counting which could make you work less and probably burn less.
  • GrandamaDonna
    Options
    I use Map My Run and the Wii Fitness... they both work out to less calories than what MFP calculates. So I take an average of the two and use that. MFP works... !

4296330.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

I would trust neither. Cals burned is reflective of body composition not a just a time and activity level!

Get a HRM
  • BohemianDestiny
    BohemianDestiny Posts: 47 Member
    Options

What parameters did the xbox ask you for?

It asked me for my current weight. That was all.

Yeah I was thinking a HRM was probably the best way to go. Its pretty frustrating though when you think you've been burning way more calories than you've actually been burning.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    330 Calories is more than I burn running for 30 minutes. I would say that the truth is somewhere closer to what your xbox is saying, but with a heartrate monitor you would know for sure.
  • kalliewelter
    Options
    I would trust the Kinect. MFP overestimates a lot! I just invested in a heartrate monitor...my 12 minute mile runs I only burn about 80-90 calories...but MFP was telling me it was like 130. If you can, get a HRM...Im so happy I did!

What kind of HRM do you have? I'm looking into purchasing one, but don't want to spend a ton of money. Thanks!
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i would invest in a hrm. i just got one and it's been great--and very eye opening! you can get a decent for $65-$75 on amazon. i have a personal trainer and she said anything under $100 is good--and to go w/ polar for a brand. good luck!
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Go with the lower number .......