Getting Discouraged.

Options
mjhuizel
mjhuizel Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hello all. Today I woke up and weighed in and found that I gained 2 pounds this week. Doesn't make sense, because I have been so strict. I'll give you all a little background, so you can see how frustrating this is.

In high school, I weighed roughly ~130 pounds, depending on the month. 8 years later, I'm around 160 (5'4). I have been using myfitnesspal on and off for more than a few years. I would always quit when I lost enough weight to think that I was able to not have to count calories. Low and behold, I am back! Looks like I need to count calories for life.

Anyway, I got a gym membership in June 2015. I have been working out regularly about 3-5 days a week, mixing cardio and weight lifting.
I also got a fitbit for xmas and can accurately measure my steps on days that Im on location for work (a lot of walking), or when I am just out and about a lot.
I have my calorie goal set at losing 1.5 pounds a week. I went back on Myfitnesspal this summer when I got my gym membership. I lost about 5 pounds so far up until this last week, where I somehow gained weight.

For those who may ask:
- I count my veggies, the honey in my coffee, alcohol, dips, ect... I try to be precise as possible.
- I have scale for accurately weighing out foods.
- I eat protein right away in the morning before I hit the gym
- I have one or two cheat days, but I always make sure to eat really light meals if I plan on eating out.
- I am typically right on target for my protein count, under in carbs and sugar, and over in fats.
- I get 8 hours of sleep every night.

I dunno. So that's pretty much it. I'm not going to quit working out, thats something I like to do because I feel strong (not to lose weight), but counting calories is seriously bugging me out. I don't know if I can do this my whole entire life, because it's so obsessive. BUT I obviously need to, because I can barely lose weight when I do.

Help.

Replies

• TurquoiseDuck1987
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Maybe your gaining more muscle? For example, when I weighed 145 before I looked great because I was very muscular.... however my 148 I weigh now looks drastically different than before because I'm more fat than muscle. Maybe that's the case with you? Maybe you're just turning alot of it into muscle. Whatever the case, stay optimistic!
  • mjhuizel
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Maybe? Id like to think so, but ive always read that was an excuse to thinking your "gaining muscle" and not losing body fat.

1. Ill admit my booty and legs look fantastic.
    2. My clothes fit the same, and my problem area (tummy) look quite the same.

Water though. I know im not drinking enough of it. Does it make that much of a significance on fat loss?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that water does nothing for fat loss, but ironically drinking water helps us to retain less water. Once you're drinking enough water, you may start to notice less wild fluctuations, but know that fluctuations are going to happen regardless, even when we've been "doing everything right".

Also, since reading on these forums, I hear of fluctuations ranging from 1 lb all the way up to 10 lbs, yep! Learning about fluctuations has made me relax so much, lol.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. There will always be weeks where you don't lose or gain, even once you hit maintenance. Have you had excess sodium in the past couple days or are you nearing TOM? Those are a couple things that will cause water retention.
  • julie782015
    julie782015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where you are in your monthly cycle can affect water weight drastically, too, especially if you aren't drinking enough of it. Try not to worry to much about a pound-- it's the downward trend over time that really matters.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hey,
    Weighed myself Monday....186lb.......Wednesday....180lbs. There is no way I lost 6lb in 2 days. When I weigh in again tonight I can guarantee I'll weigh about 186lbs again.

I've seen this enough times now to realise it isn't me getting fat again or loosing massive amounts, slacking off, eating too much, etc its simply a fluctuation not helped by me drinking too little water.

Shaun.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It sucks to come to the conclusion that you'll probably have to count calories for the rest of your life. I came to that conclusion myself after I hit maintenance and it really bummed me out for a while.

Please please please don't get frustrated with yourself because the scale is showing a two pound gain. If you have been doing the right things which it appears that you are, it could be any number of things that attributed to that increased number on the scale (though when you say "cheat days" that's always a concern if you aren't still accurately aware of what you're consuming for your "cheats" not that I believe any food is a "cheat"). I myself fluctuate up to 5 pounds day to day mostly from water retention. Stick with it and it will come off for sure. *Hugs*
  • mcdunmyer
    mcdunmyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Water might really be the issue for multiple reasons. I had the same issue and figured out that it was mild constipation. My weight always spikes 1-2 lbs when I spend a weekend at the beach. Not enough water, high fiber diet, and sharing a small space with my whole family backed things up. Once I was back in my routine I would be right back on track. Heavy carb meals also cause you to not only store the carbs in your muscles, which could add a little weight, but also to store excess water. And finally, not drinking enough can cause you to retain water.
  • mjhuizel
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support guys. I appreciate it. Its helping.
    I do want to make one thing clear. I don't weigh myself everyday, but consistently on every Friday before breakfast.
    I SHOULD start doing measurements again. You're so right, because thats where the results matter. I will also make it a point to drink more water.

Second, the only reason I do cheat days is for my own sanity. When I go out with my friends, I want to focus on having a good time in the present and not how many calories I'm consuming. Now, I still try to be mindful at the same time. Plus its super hard to be accurate when you are in a big city and everyone prepares their food and drinks very differently.

Third, I am not so sad about gaining a few pounds this week, but rather looking at it from day one until today. It's been over six months and I was really hoping to see more results. I dont expect to lose 1.5 pounds a week, because of my cheat day (or two). If I were to lose one pound a week for 6 months, wouldnt you expect to lose at least 10 pounds by now? Given youre not perfect and know some days you dont make your goals and such?

As for my cycle, that would make a little sense, as Im at the end of my month, but skipping my sugar pills this month (on the pill). Sometimes I think the mix of birth control and bad genes are my downfall.

I would also like to add that the Fitbit seems to give me a bigger calorie deficit than mfp (both are at 1.5 pounds a week and synced). I try to go by the mfp goals.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    mjhuizel wrote: »
    Maybe?
    Water though. I know im not drinking enough of it. Does it make that much of a significance on fat loss?

Those two pounds is probably water weight from sodium. Drink a lot of water and flush it out for the day. Tomorrow you will be down 2 lbs.

• Reneebycakes
    Reneebycakes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1.5 pounds per week is a bit of a lofty goal for someone with only about 30 pounds to lose (I gather from your original post), however it probably gives you the wiggle room you need to cover your cheat meals. Just know that on average a loss of somewhere between 1/2 and 1 pound per week is much more reasonable. And definitely start taking body measurements.