Weighing yourself?

When is the best time to weigh yourself? Does weighing yourself before/after you work out or eat make a difference? And how often should you weigh yourself?

Replies

• I'm weighing myself twice a week on Monday's and Friday's first thing in the morning...naked!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Usually in the morning after you use the bathroom is the best time to weigh yourself. Weighing before/after you eat or workout will make a difference in most cases as you can retain fluids (workout) or the excess weight from food. Weigh yourself as much as you like, but realize there will be fluctuations throughout the day, everyday. Some do every day, some do once a week/month. It's up to you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    First thing in the morning, after you use the bathroom and before you eat/drink anything is usually the best time. As for frequency, it's personal preference. Some weigh every day and watch the trends up or down. Others can't handle seeing the day-to-day fluctuations, so they pick a set day each week to weigh. And others may do once a month.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    I've done it all kinds of ways, once a week on Fridays, daily, morning and afternoon, fluctuations happen and will leave you baffled sometimes but is what it is. The most consistent way to do it is to try and weigh yourself under the same conditions every time.
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2016
    As long as you weigh yourself the same way each time, the conditions of weighing yourself don't matter. If you plan to weigh yourself after working out, make sure you do it that way every time, wearing the same or as similar as possible clothing, drinking the same amount of water....etc. You can weigh yourself as many times as you like! Just expect to see fluctuations because there are so many factors that effect the number you see on the scale.

I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after I go to the bathroom and before I eat, drink or exercise. I also weigh myself naked. I usually will weigh myself again after I work out just to see what the difference is and sometimes it'll go up a little, other times it wont. I also weigh myself everyday but I only take an official log of it on Wednesdays.

Like I said, as long as you're weighing yourself the same way each time, you can decide when to do it!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Best in the morning. I only weight myself once a month. If you weight your self more often only consider monthly average, because your body weight can fluctuate up to 2 pounds on different days.
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    I choose to weigh myself in the morning when I'm getting dressed for work. By then, I've used the restroom, been up and moving for a little while (reading numbers half-asleep is hard :s ), and haven't eaten breakfast yet. I weigh every morning, but only log on Wednesday. I just am curious about the day-to-day difference, but only care about my"official " weigh in.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    I like to weigh everyday first this in the am after using bathroom.....its a motivator I never want to be like I was 6 weeks ago!
  • kialea22
    kialea22 Posts: 15 Member
    I try to weigh myself once a week, although some weeks I just want to get on the scale everyday! I know myself and its best for me to just wait a week because then I do usually see some progress:) Always in the morning before my shower.:)
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    The frequency depends on you, really. I agree that first thing in the morning is the best time, because your weight hasn't been altered by anything at that point. I've been weighing every day after I wake up and pee, and I'm keeping track of it so I can make a graph and run stats on my normal fluctuation (graph/stats nerd here). This morning I was 3lbs heavier due to heavy fiber intake yesterday. It can be disappointing if something like this happens for those who weigh daily, but others may find that to be extra motivation.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Every morning even though weight fluctuates rapidly in this short of a time frame.
  • changeNeeded87
    changeNeeded87 Posts: 17 Member
    I weigh myself every morning to track fluctuations. Usually an hour after a cup of water and my thyroid pill. I pop it into MFP once or twice a week. Typically beginning of the workweek/end of the workweek time frame.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    First thing every morning for me.
  • cassieknights951
    cassieknights951 Posts: 48 Member
    I weigh every day first thing in the morning after emptying my bowel and before eating, naked
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I weigh every morning after I pee and before I put on clothes, but I only log my weight on Tuesday mornings.

Just for fun, I also weigh after I swim and before I eat lunch (which can be two or three times a week), but I never record that weight.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    I don't weigh myself very often, and prefer to go by measurements and pics to see my progress. If you are weighing yourself frequently it can be discouraging if the number on the scale is not moving, but if you are exercising you can still be losing fat. This article is great for help with tracking your progress:

https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/how_to_track_your_progress_with_measurements_and_progress_pictures/