I (dis)like bike riders

Options
2»

Replies

• DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Likewise...

An irritated and aggressive driver can more than MANGLE a cyclist!

Impatient drivers mostly don't realize that road bikes cannot just move over onto sandy loose shoulders as they need a hard stable surface to stay upright and safe. Killing a cyclist will be life-altering for everyone. Be safe out there.
  • DeBlue
    Options
    I sometimes feel like the cars are almost trying to "punish" me for having the audacity to be on their road. Like big pick up trucks getting so close they nearly clip me with their mirrors when there's no traffic coming the other way. I dress in neon, wear a helmet, follow the rules, stay right of the fog line when practical, and signal. I live in the country and think it's asinine for me to rack my bike and d-r-i-v-e somewhere else to ride it. It's almost more dangerous in our parks with strollers, kids on training wheels, rollerbladers, and dogs on leashes sharing the paths. *rant over*

You are not the problem (at least in my eyes) it is those bikers who take up the whole lane while biking or a group of bikers who decide to ride side by side on a regular road. For me that irritates me. Perhaps it is those inconsiderate bikers that have led people in general to be upset or loath bikers. We live near a bike path and you would be suprised by how many bikers do not use this path and are inconsiderate while using the road. You would think they would be, considering they are a lot smaller the the vehicles trying to use the road!

Cars can come up on you fast and are deadly silent in their approach. In a group ride you may not hear or see them with enough warning to skim a group into single-file. I have been blocked out into the driving lane by others in the group who weren't paying attention, talking, enjoying the companionship of the event. The angry drivers that crowd scare the life out of you.

FLIPSIDE - bless the patient drivers out there that hold back without intimidating us! And especially those that swing wide giving us comfortable space and consideration. And top of my list those who DON'T blast their horns or throw trash from their windows! These drivers are saints and much appreciated!
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I recently learned that in most states cyclists have the legal right to occupy the entire lane. Being a newish cyclist and an oldish driver, I did not know that.

That said, the folk that I ride with always move to the right (conditions permitting) when cars need to pass, especially if they are moving slower than the speed limit. That is just smart and safe. If there is a larger group, it takes a minute for the group to move from a "clump" formation into a single file formation.

As far as stop signs and traffic lights, it usually depends on conditions. At a 6 lane road intersection, we all stop at the red. At a country road stop light/sign, with a clear view of the intersection, we will go if it is clear.

I think common sense, courtesy and a responsibility for your own safety (as a cyclist) should be the rule. When I am behind the wheel, I am more patient and careful with cyclists. When I am in the saddle, I try to stay the hell out of the way of cars--afterall, I would be on the losing end of any collision with a car.

Oh, and one other thing, when you do come up on a cyclist from behind, he/she knows you are there (most likely). Honking at the cyclist will only startle/surprise or scare the *kitten* out of him/her, so don't do that. Like I said, the experienced and careful cyclists will get out of the car's way as soon as they can. Cyclists appreciate patient drivers.

Just remember the next time you are driving and you come upon a cyclist in the lane--he/she has as much right to that lane as you do.
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too take a bike trail......I hate whenpeopleI go by you with no warning while flying ...I say on your left maybe 10-15 feet before passing. I also hate people who take the trail and walk three four people across and act like they cant hear you when u wanna pass.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Where i am you have to bike on the street and follow the rules of the road (cars). So weaving and passing is not cool. The thing is the car drivers arnt aware of the rules and freak out on the bikers. It is scary out there. I just like to bike on paths.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    I have no problem with bikers when they are on a trail and not a busy road at rush hour! What irritates me is when bikers are on a road and don't follow the rules of the road.

I absolutely hate it when they use the whole road!!! We live near a widely used bike path, but for some reason they feel they can us the whole lane and not use the bike path that was built just for bikes!!! Or they decide to use our road as detour route to get to the major bike path. I enjoy biking and try to do it often with my family, but not as a sport. I try to stay on sidewalks or on the side of the road and ALWAYS use the bike path.

I do have to say that while on the bike path some people can be rather rude as if they own the path; especially when a family passes them...LOL! Maybe it was her pride that was hurt! :)

in most states we (cyclists) have the legal right to use the full lane if necessary. people who are commuting, or really doing whatever they want, are allowed to do that. we don't have to have a reason as long as we're following the law. MUPs can be more dangerous for cyclists than the road.

IT IS NOT LEGAL TO RIDE A BIKE ON A SIDEWALK IN THE MAJORITY OF THE COUNTRY.

/rant. it pisses me off when people complain about us but don't know the rules.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with bikers when they are on a trail and not a busy road at rush hour! What irritates me is when bikers are on a road and don't follow the rules of the road.

This, this, this!

Most of the bikers where I live don't understand that if you're riding on the road you have to stop at stop signs and red lights. And you have to yield when applicable and pay attention to the road.

I love the bikers that understand and follow the rules though.

The uniform bicyling code (which is not currently binding everywhere) allows cyclists to go through stop signs and lights when stoping would be more dangerous (when losing momentum would be more dangerous than oncoming traffic). It is tough, though, to know which areas have adopted these standards.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For traffic in general, if you want to go slower than the flow you should stay in the right lane. If there is only one lane you should pull off when there are people stuck behind you and let them pass. It's common courtesy. I don't care if you have 2 wheels or 22 wheels, if you are screwing up the flow and don't do anything about it you're being an *kitten*.
  • lovejoydavid
    Options

"Rules of the road" are not actually universal. Laws for bikes on roads and cars are not always the same, and, sadly, as bicyclists are usually car drivers, only they have some working knowledge of both (clearly not all of them, though, even I see that). I have had cops pull me over on stretches of interstate that had been designated for multiuse by the Washington State DOT, and have had them tell me it was illegal for me to bike on the shoulder there. Even when I show them the maps (sent to me by the DOT), they have declined to listen. It can be very frustrating.
  • lovejoydavid
    Options
    I live on a road that has bike lanes on the side and there are ALWAYS people running/walking and biking. There are many marathoners, traithaletes, etc. that train around here. I have no problem with that but I frequently have to go into the other lane because bikers are riding outside of the designated bike lane (to ride beside each other and talk, etc.). That is what irritates me the most. They have bike lanes so I just wish they would use them. Not to mention it scares me every time because I am afraid they may come over more and I will hit them.

Point is be respectful of the road just like motorists are expected to do. Then everyone can live in harmony. =)

Keep in mind that in virtually every municpality, bicyclists are only required to ride as far right is considered safe, and are also required to keep a consistent line. If there is other, slower traffic in the bike lane (such as runners) or obstacles (garbage cans for one), than the bicyclist can ride as far left as they need to keep a consistent line. If they are doing it, however, to keep multiple bikes abreast, and it is creating a road hazhard, then that is inappropriate.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I admit, I get really impatient when I get stuck in a line of cars because there is too much traffic coming the other way to go around the cyclist on the road. However, I am never rude. It is frustrating for both the cars and the cyclists and each feels justfied in being frustrated with the other.

I also wish we had bike lanes, I think it would help a tremendous amount. There are a lot of cyclists in our area who ride at the same time I am driving to work as any later and it is like 100 degrees out.

I don't think there is a great solution other than patience, tolerance and courtesy. And vote for bike lanes lol
  • Purplefly
    Purplefly Posts: 71
    Options
    We have a bike/walking/horse trail here that you can take all the way down to the beach if you were so inclined. My only peev is when a biker comes speeding past and doesn't say a word to let anyone know. I could step to the left and smash right into them. Use a kiddie bike bell I don't care what just let a person know you are back there.

There are signs posted along the way that say bike yields to walkers and both of those yield to the horses. I imagine stepping in front of a horse is probably a bad idea anyways rofl.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    In my town, the roads are very narrow in many places. It sucks for me and the drivers and I avoid those stretches of the roads whenever possible and never go at rush hour. But when I do have to ride on those roads (less than half of a mile until I turn off the main road), I ride straight down the middle of the road. Why? Because if I try to ride to the right, cars think they don't have to move over at all to pass me. I've literally been 3 inches from being clipped by side mirrors and I only saved that accident from happening by going into the muddy ditch. The law says I have to ride as far to the right as is safe; on a two way road with no shoulder or bike lane, that means the middle of the road.

Sorry, but I live in southern AR, part of one of the fattest regions of the country....it's good for people to see others exercising!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    We've got bike lanes here, but same as the last city I was in that had them, they are very often the parallel parking spaces that the car drivers use once they've got to work so we have to watch for those that are just sititng in their vehicle and decide to randomly open the door without checking for traffic.
    There are trails and the like but you do have to drive or ride on the roads to get to them in the first place.
  • heathally
    heathally Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that whenever I ask a question in the name of being a 'biker' I kinda get answers with a bit of animosity.
    I'm not a hardcore bike rider, tho' I ride my bike most days for fitness reasons not endurance.
    Today a lady yelled (barked really) at me when I passed her by. I try to shout 'on your left' almost every time to not startle peolpe

Why are bikers such an easy target?

Do you bike on the sidewalk? Here it is illegal to do that, we must ride on the road and follow all the rules that apply to automobiles. Or are you riding on pathways?

This is the point I was going to make. A bike is a vehicle (not motorized, but still a vehicle). Look up the laws for your state, but both of the states I've lived in require bike riders to ride on the road with a helmet, as far to the right as possible except when making left turns, and following the laws of the road like any other vehicle. I road my bike to college all last summer, followed these rules and had no troubles whatsoever with walkers or motorists.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Same reason they hate motorcyclists. They don't like to share the road.

Really? We have the same problems as cyclists.. (which I am as well). We get people that almost run us over because they don't see us in their monster SUVs.

Drivers need to calm down and relax when passing/dealing with motorcycles and bicycles because they're dangerous to the bikers. A lot of us motorcyclists FOLLOW THE RULES. But, we still get a bad rep...

All bikers need to calm down and relax when passing/dealing with runners/walkers because they can be dangerous to them. A lot of us cyclists FOLLOW THE RULES. But, we still get a bad rep...

Hmm

Play nice and stay in your lane and it wont be as confrontational.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    so we have to watch for those that are just sititng in their vehicle and decide to randomly open the door without checking for traffic.

I got into an accident this way. Wearing just a helmet does not prevent injury from slamming into swung open car door @ 25 mph. Trust me.

So, don't mind us if we give ourselves a little buffer from the sketchy pot-hole ridden shoulder / the line of parked cars / etc.
  • DeBlue
    Options
    One last rant...

I find I can get more respect from approaching cars to ride deep into their lane and weave a bit erratically, moving over before they finally come up near me. Honestly the drivers are wary and it gets them to be way more careful.

Sometimes they even pause from fooling with their cell phones while driving around me....