FOOD SCALES

Options
I am thinking of buying a food scale, can anyone tell me which is the best way to go? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg and wonder if digital is better. Also what is the best way to weigh, lbs, ounces, grams? As you can tell I am so confused about this and want to do it right so I don't eat more than I am supposed to.

Thanks for your help.

Jean

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Digital and grams. Make sure it has a tare button too. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent one.

I just bought a new one this week and it was $20 (usd)

Eta: I own a manual spring scale too as backup but it's harder to get accurate weights on smaller quantities.
  • SyllyReth
    SyllyReth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have this one - http://www.amazon.com/Escali-115G-Vitra-Glass-Digital/dp/B000E24BSQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1452268747&sr

I've never had any problems with it and it seems to work well. I just replaced it this year because I dropped the other one (of the same model) that I had and that did break it, but I had that pushing 3 years I think and there was nothing wrong with it.
  • jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been using this one for about a year: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004164SRA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

On sale for less than $13 on Amazon right now!

I weigh mostly in grams, but it depends on the food. Meat is typically in ounces, soups in mL etc. I usually use what the packaging has the food weighed in! Good luck!
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I second digital. These will generally have a way to switch between weight units - pounds, ounces, and grams. I have a digital food scale made by Cuisinart. I think I paid $30 for it. It's battery powered, so I don't have to worry about limited outlet space on my prep counter. I haven't changed the batteries since I got it 4 years ago, and it still works great.

I love my food scale. I have no idea how I managed without one. It's invaluable for baking (I now weigh flour and other dry ingredients instead of measuring). I buy large family packs of meat and portion it out before freezing, so I can thaw recipe sized amounts, like a pound of ground beef. It's even great for weighing things like condiments and peanut butter. I put the jar on the scale, tare the weight, and what I take out comes out as the negative number. It really does keep my portions in check.

Happy cooking!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I like flat food scales because they're easier to clean.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like this one
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-6-6-Pound-Platform/dp/B001DQOEIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452278575&sr=8-1&keywords=biggest+loser+scale
    I've never watched the television show, but the scale works. It has a button for grams or ounces (I use grams for smaller portions and ounces for larger portions) and has a tare feature. I believe the flat glass base is also removable for cleaning. It can fit a larger container on its base, yet doesn't take up too much space on the counter.