Swimmers...are you out there?

Options
I'm an MFP newbie and a regular swimmer, but it seems like most of MFP is for gym nuts. Don't get me wrong, I'm working up the confidence to hit the weights soon after a PT session, but swimming is totally my bag.

For swimmers, how do you stay motivated? How do you shake up your workout? And how do you cope with slow swimmers in the fast lane?!

Also, if anyone can recommend a good place (UK) to get prescription goggles from, you're forever my friend. I'm so blind I currently HAVE to swim with head above water and glasses on, because without them I couldn't tell you if that splodge a few feet away is a drowning kid or the wall of the pool. Seriously.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I started swimming as exercise last spring, after arthritis made it painful for me to run. I love it so far. I have bought myself a full-year membership at the pool where one of my kids gets swimming lessons, so even on the rare days where I am trying to find excuses (like the weather being too cold), I get to tell myself it is a waste of money not to go. Once I am in the pool, as a rule I love it.
    If you get to find a magical solution for dealing with swimmers who are in the wrong lane, or doing all sorts of weird workouts instead of actually swimming, let me know! It is one of the benefits of swimming in an open pool though: most swimmers who are not really serious about it, they disappear in winter.
    I also have to swim with prescription goggles, but I am not in the UK. I just asked my optometrist and was prepared for him to tell me these are really exotic and expensive, but he said they are very common these days. The cost me something like 30 euros and were delivered in a couple of days. You can also order them online. Mine are speedo goggles and I have seen they are available online. For example check here, to see what I am talking about: http://www.speedostoreeu.com/goggles/goggles-all-goggles/802309.html
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I swim as part of my triathlon training. What keeps me motivated are creating different workouts and group swims. We have a tri-club that swims together once a week with a coach giving us the workouts and offering stroke technique.

Good luck with your swimming and I hope you find some prescription goggles so you can see in the pool!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you get to find a magical solution for dealing with swimmers who are in the wrong lane, or doing all sorts of weird workouts instead of actually swimming, let me know! : http://www.speedostoreeu.com/goggles/goggles-all-goggles/802309.html

Have you tried the "toe tap" method? When you swim up behind a slower swimmer, try touching their toes. It freaks them out so much they let you overtake. Overtake them enough and they should get the message and move down a lane. Or kick you. Either way, at least they know you're there.