fitbit charge HR

Options
Hi my name is Judy and I have a fitbit charge HR, I walk/run on a treadmill and the calibration is off on the distance. I have calibrated it several times. I walk/run 3 miles every day and it only tracks 1.5 miles. I know I have to hold on sometimes, (I have MS and my balance is a little off) I would like to see if I can get it close, anyway. Any help someone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• argos14
    argos14 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mine is actually pretty accurate on my treadmill - although I do notice that when I'm grocery shopping and hold the cart, it doesn't pick those steps up....not sure that helps, sorry.
  • judytess
    judytess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, I love my Fitbit except for that. I really need to calculate the distance accurately. I will be 60 years old in August and my goal is to run my first 5k. Doesn't sound like much, but have never ran for anything except in softball 45 years ago. Lol
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ran my 1st 5K all by myself couple months ago!! It felt great! You can do it, then you'll want to do it again and again!! Sign up for one and tell someone... it helps! Good luck! Age is just a number, do not let that hold you back.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the treadmill is off? Or rather, perhaps your stride doesn't fit the formula the treadmill folks used? The treadmill is counting belt turns, the fitbit is counting your actual steps.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you set your stride length in fitbit?
  • Da_Big_Kahuna
    Da_Big_Kahuna Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Two things could be happening;
    1. The Fitbit is not counting the steps correctly. I've noticed that mine will count really low if I hold onto the hand rails on my treadmill.
    2. The Fitbit is not calculating the distance for the steps correctly. Most pedometers I've owned have a function to set the length of one's stride. I would imagine that the FitBit would allow that adjustment but I haven't found it.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think your issue is the same as with grocery carts and strollers. I spent over 2 hours shopping and it logged 200 steps. At least with my flex, I could take it out and put it in my shoe... trying to figure out a trick to the charge.
  • judytess
    judytess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back, i thought about trying it on my ankle, but they didnt think that would work. I quess i will just have to figure something else out.
  • acemac1214
    acemac1214 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem with mine too. Today, my Fitbit was 1 mile less than what my treadmill said.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    judytess wrote: »
    Yes it does, I love my Fitbit except for that. I really need to calculate the distance accurately. I will be 60 years old in August and my goal is to run my first 5k. Doesn't sound like much, but have never ran for anything except in softball 45 years ago. Lol

That is fantastic! Best of luck to you!
    I have been a fitbit user for almost 3 years now. A Fitbit One, a Fitbit Force, and now a Fitbit Charge HR(which I absolutely love).
    I used the One and the Force simultaneously for about 2 months, they were both different on step counts, and the machine (I use the elliptical and treadmill) showed a different step count than either of my fitbits. I contacted Fitbit about the difference and they said that there may be differences in step counts on the machines, as depending on the way you walk/run/or move, your fitbit may not pick up all of your steps. They are, however, close, and for my purposes, that is fine.
    I do a lot of walking as well, and really it is spot on for that use. I also have an app on my iphone I use and most of the time I carry it in my pocket. The difference in step count is negligible.
    One of my co-workers and a machine under his desk that allows him to pedal during the day. He ties it on his shoe and he says it really works well. I never tried tying it to my shoe because the accuracy is not that crucial to me. I just love the motivation it gives me to move more.

• machelle04
    machelle04 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I have had the Flex and now currently on Charge HR and love it. My treadmill is an IFit.com and they are really close on distance. I have noticed with the IT equipment I work with daily it throws my Stairs climbed off. I have no stairs in my building or in my office but I get credit for 8 to 11 stairs daily. Good luck on your 5k I am sure you will rock it.
  • racheladkins2002
    racheladkins2002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I also had trouble with my fitbit when I was holding onto things. I think because my arm wasn't moving much it didn't register that I was walking.

Now I try to use my opposite hand when I am steadying myself on the treadmill and it seems to help a lot. My steps a lot closer now and the mileage. I know this isn't possible for many, but for those it is, that might help.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Dont know if this is true but my spin instructor said that the devices don't calculate when you arms are not moving. Maybe when you are holding on the Fitbit stops until you start running without holding on.