Can't Eat Anything Today :(

Options
I'm posting this here because the IBS Support Group seems to have gone dead.

I've had pretty chronic IBS since high school, which has only gotten worse since giving birth December 2014.

I'm not too bad most days, but when I have a flare up, it's bad!

Today is one of those days.

My stomach feels really uneasy right now and I feel like if I eat anything I'm going to have an episode.

In the past I've tried eating what's recommended when having a flare up (white rice, white bread, crackers, etc.), but my stomach still can't handle the foods that are supposed to be "safe".

My question is: to those who suffer from IBS, what do you do when it seems like you can't eat anything?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a low FODMAP diet? My husband has pretty severe IBS/dumping and was prescribed marijuana which helps tremendously.
  • danakisla
    danakisla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly I never realized how little I was eating because of my IBS until I decided I needed to gain some weight. I usually don't eat when I have flare ups because they are so bad but I try to eat smoothies to atleast get something in my system.
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Queenmunchy: I looked into the FODMAP diet a couple years ago and it seemed a little confusing and it seemed like everyone had something different to say, but will definitely look into it again because maybe there's been more research since then. Thanks for the advice! :smile:

@danakisla: Unfortunately not even smoothies work for me when I get like this. My body seems to want to eliminate anything and everything :neutral: But thanks for the suggestion :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Clear chicken broth?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Clear chicken broth?

This might be a good way to get some calories in at least. So sorry to hear that you're having a flare, and hopefully it doesn't last long!
  • Balanced_Jenn
    Balanced_Jenn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The folks here that are touching upon the FODMAP diet are on to something. I work as a functional medicine nutritionist in a naturopathic doctor's office. Often, IBS (whether D or C) is contributed to be an imbalance of gut bacteria. When you have too many of a different strain, they will either produce hydrogen or methane gasses - which influence motility of the bowel. Familiarize yourself with a 4 or 5 R program (gut restoration) and seek out a functional medicine doctor in your area. You know how I got to be a nutritionist in this role? I was a patient first. I had diarrhea from IBS that ruled my life and near chronic nausea. I subsisted on white foods, pepto bismol, Immodium and Unisom (so I could sleep through the nausea). I never had an appetite and when I was cured, I gained 25 lbs. LOL! Probiotics are not enough, elimination diets are not enough. You have to do something to help kill off the bad bacteria and repair the GI tract. A good start is to read The Gut Balance Revolution by Gerard Mullin, MD. Best wishes to you. This does not have to be your life sentence.
  • Muellerreb
    Muellerreb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had IBS for over 7 years now - the only time when I truly ha no symptoms was when I stuck to the FODMAP diet. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I stuck to it for 2-3 months and it was great (as a student, it was too hard to maintain at school). It takes awhile for your body to get rid of the FODMAPs already in your system (dietitian said 1-3 weeks), but once you do, it's great. After you've been "FOD-free" for awhile, you can start adding certain things back to help you figure out what your true trigger foods are.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! Hate when it happens, but I go through phases as far as what settles my stomach and what doesn't. Right now it's anything orange flavored so I either keep orange juice in the fridge and pour some into my water (can't drink it straight; too much acidity) and orange flavored Mio, the one with the electrolytes. I just keep sipping water as much as I can until it passes.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When mine was bad, all I could tolerate was plain yogurt and chamomile tea. Chamomile works as a natural anti-spasmodic.
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    @Balanced_Jenn : Thanks for all the info! I've spent quite a bit of my afternoon looking up the FODMAP diet and it's still a bit confusing and there's still some conflicting info between sources, but for the most part everyone agrees about which foods are triggers and which are safe. I will see if there's a functional medicine doctor around me and hopefully can get a referral.

Thanks so much everyone! So glad to see I'm not alone and I'm feeling much better this evening and am feeling quite hungry.

@geneticsteacher : I didn't know that about chamomile tea! It's one of my favourites!
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea is my go to on bad days and good ones! I've got into the habit of having at least a mug a day and more on bad days it really seems to help for me.