Intense food cravings

Options
The biggest hurdle I have to overcome in terms of weight loss is food cravings. I get such intense cravings for food - and it's almost always food that is unhealthy, and it's almost always at night. Once I start thinking about the craving, it's like trying to stop a train, and most of the time - especially when I'm in my unhealthy phases - I just give in, I rationalize, I think "I'll just start dieting tomorrow", etc, etc. When I'm having a craving, it's like I completely lose control of my body and mind, and become fixated on food. And I almost always eat too much of it.

Do any of you guys have out-of-control food cravings? How do you get a hold of yourself? Any tricks or tips?

Replies

• MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had it this afternoon, I really really wanted on of my kid's chocolate biscuit bars, instead I had a cracker bread with a slither of chocolate spread and peanut butter - still something sweet but much less the calories & fat and it cured my craving! So, in other words have something else similar but a just healthier version. :smile:
  • pittielover23
    Options
    Oh yeah, I have the SAME problem. Although, they have actually become less and less as I have been eating healthier, so there is that.

I get what you say about trying to stop a train though. Sometimes I will be lying in bed, thinking about a bowl of cereal or something, and I seriously WILL.NOT.SLEEP. until I eat it. I have been trying to trick myself by eating something smaller nad healthier, but it doesn't always work.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Keep it out of the house so you CAN'T reach for it in the middle of the night.

Find a hobby that can keep you occupied at night.

Eat less during the day (not TOO little), and go for a healthier, more nutritious, but still tasty version at night, like Mellow suggested?
  • AlwaysLightlyOver
    Options
    Yeah, I don't keep any unhealthy foods in the house, but sometimes the craving will be strong enough that I'll actually go out - even at 2AM - and buy it from the corner store, which is literally a 30-second walk from my apartment. Sigh.

Although, on good nights, I'll be able to hold off long enough that I just drift to sleep and overcome the craving that way.
  • flannan
    flannan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hear you. It's almost like I'm another person when I reach for the sweets. I ate good all day. Then one minute Im thinking "ive got to lose this weight, the next I am already chewing a cookie or brownie or whatever. It's almost like I'm not even there or thinking when I pick it up. As Im chewing I start to rationalize it with the 'start again tommorrow' thing.
    VErrrrrrrry frustrating
  • along21291
    along21291 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What I like most about MFP is you can really eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calorie range. One thing that is really stressed here is that this is a lifestyle change not a diet. Try to eat the things you crave in moderation. If you completely deprive yourself of everything you like to eat, you'll get tired of it and go back to your old habits (you'll probably tell yourself "this is no way to live!"). Moderation is key to success
  • ebilharz
    ebilharz Posts: 20
    Options
    I know how you feel! I've had to give up lots of foods due to allergies (gluten being the biggest one) and I was seriously astounded by the cravings I would get. The good news is that after three weeks of giving up any type of food, like breads or sweets, physiologically your body changes and the cravings will drop off significantly, if not altogether. It is definitely rough going for a while, but if you keep yourself busy so that you can't actually satisfy your craving immediately, chances are it will go away within half an hour. Or if you still crave it, substitute a healthier option! I know how easy it is to feel like you NEED a food right then and there, and then you'll promise to be good for the rest of the day! But in the long run, remember that certain foods will trap you in a craving cycle, where your blood sugar will spike and then drop, leaving you with another craving.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you have an intense craving for a certain thing, your body is trying to get a certain vitamin or mineral. Take a good multi vitamin daily and see if the cravings back off. If you are within a week of TOM all bets are off though!!:ohwell:
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Here I am reading this thread eating a Snickers Almond bar that I succumbed to lol. I think cravings are okay if you aren't giving into them at every whim. I have one of these Snicker bars once a week...not because prior to getting healthy and fit I ate them all the time..but for some strange reason I crave something uber sweet when I've never really been a "sweet tooth" kinda gal. I think we can be the most disciplined people but if we don't give in every once in awhile the outcome could be a lot worse (aka me in a broom closet gorging on 15 snicker bars lol).