I'm getting an HRM TODAY!!! Any suggestions??

Options
I love pay day.

I think I have decided it would be good to get an HRM for more accurate readings (I am quite excited, actually!!!). After work today (since it is payday) I am getting some groceries (lots of healthy food) and an HRM!!!

Now, I don't want to buy online (well, I can't, I don't have a credit card - never have... I will get one when I graduate Law School), so I have to buy an HRM from store shelves.

I NEED RECOMENDATIONS!! Any brands I should look for? What are the prices?

Also... do they all come with a chest strap?

Replies

• angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 and i absolutely LOVE it!! It does come with a chest strap and i was turned off at first - but its really not bad. And it is a beatiful thing to know EXACTLY how many calories you are burning!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be the most popular brand. Not all come w/ a strap...but you'll want one that does have it (more accurate). I have a Polar FT60 & love it - have had it a year now. Was kinda pricey - about $160ish (online).
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Anything by Polar seems to be a good choice. I have one of their cheapest ones. Around $60 all the up to a couple of hundred.. Get the ones with the chest strap, they will be more accurate.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money in getting one without a chest strap. They are more accurate than the ones you have to hold on to. I always promote Bowflex and Polar because those are the ones I have, but prices are all over the place for HRMs, and it's up to you to decide the cost/benifit ratio.
  • kellywaller1
    kellywaller1 Posts: 101
    Options
    I am going to try the mio motiva, I have heard a lot of good things about this one!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my Polar FT7. It does have a chest strap and I got it at ****'s Sporting Goods for $109.99
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    One word: POLAR!
  • bwquinn13
    bwquinn13 Posts: 4
    Options
    Stay away from the Bowflex monitor. I Payed $80 for it at BeachBody.com and it is, to quote Charles Barkley, TURRABLE! It works alright when you are not working out, but when you start to sweat it will not give a reading.
    The monitors with the chest strap are supposed to be the best, they are a little more though. ****'s Sports has a huge selection of them in various price ranges.
    Sorry I couldn't point you on a better brand to try, just don't waste your time and $$$ with the Bowflex model.
  • deanmarino
    deanmarino Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT-7
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR60 and adore it!! And I agree with not wasting your money on anything that doesn't have a chest strap!
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 which comes with a chest strap and I LOVE it!! I would totally recommend it!
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 at Sports Authority for 80 bucks on sale. Love it! Make sure you get one with a chest strap the ones without are not accurate.

Lori
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    I just got the Polar RS100 it comes with the chest strap and I bought it at bestbuy so far I'm loving it.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    A couuple of you have said you got your HRM at ****'s Store.... what is that? It didn't come out right or something.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    A couuple of you have said you got your HRM at ****'s Store.... what is that? It didn't come out right or something.
    D!ck's Sporting Goods
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 at Sports Authority for 80 bucks on sale. Love it! Make sure you get one with a chest strap the ones without are not accurate.

Lori

Hubby bought mine this weekend @ Sears for about $50 ^^
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'll throw in my vote for the Polar FT4 as well...I adore mine. They have them at D!cks Sporting goods, Target, and Sears. :D
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm up here in Canada so we don't have a D!ck's sporting goods.

BUT I am sure I can find the Polar at the Running Room...

I looked up what the have at Costco and they only have Omron and Mio... are any of those good?

I think the Polar sounds the best though...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do you have Best Buy? They sell the Polar Ft4 and Ft7. I have the FT7, but both are good and you can't go wrong.

I'm not too sure about Omron or Mio... Try looking up the models and reading reviews.

I'd steer clear of Timex... esp the TImex Unisex Zone Trainer.. Way over estimates on the calorie burn!
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    I bought the MIO MOTIVA and am disappointed. It OVER calcs. I'll have to try now one with the chest strap since everyone says that is most accurate. I don't care about any so called hassle, I want accurate measurements dammit!

Example:

I rechecked my input data and all is accurate. I am quite a techie and do way more than this, so I am sure the setup is right. I rechecked the instructions to be sure.

Several nights of running it while going to bed (and alone I will add), it says I burnt 1720-1850 calories. Now I know we burn calories sleeping. But not that much.

Ok, next, during a work day, and I have a desk job, it says I burnt 4800 cals.

Ok, next, yesterday I cut my parent's yard. Good sized yard, but I did it rather languidly. Sure I sweat, but it was hot and humid. Says I burnt 1700 cals. About a 2.5 hr job.

A full 24 hr cycle measures 6850 cals burnt. I know from my scale, its bodyfat, and my pinching and poking in the mirror that after about 2200 cals, I start to accumulate fat.

Take all these facts and we conclude it over measures DRAMATICALLY.

Now, if someone has tips that could indicate this is user error, I will gladly accept them, because otherwise I am out 60$ and have to go spend again to get a monitor that is at least MORE accurate. You CANNOT determine your proper daily caloric intake needs if you don't measure your burn.