How often do you weigh yourself ?

Options

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every morning after using the bathroom, but only record my weight once a week. It keeps me honest, and I know I could do a LOT of damage if I went a whole week without looking.
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Everyday, first think in the morning after voiding, naked. But like the others who have mentioned this, I know it's a roller coaster and I try not to take any one day's numbers seriously. I have a Tanita body fat scale, and I wish MFP would let me just log my body fat pounds. It's the number I'm more concerned about.

I do this at the suggestion of a doctor years ago. If I weigh myself once a week, or once a month, I'd be more inclined to lie to myself, or to make not-so-wise decisions to get a good number (like dehydrating myself, or skipping meals the day before a weigh-in).

I view the numbers as a rolling average, like stock prices. When it's up, I think, "need to be more disciplined!"; when it's down, I think, "good job - keep at it!" instead of "whoo hoo I can eat junk food today!"

Each of us is the captain of our own ship, and we each need to find what works for us. I know some plus-sized athletes who haven't weighed themselves in years. They rely on how their clothes fit or a measuring tape. I can't do that, because by the time my clothes don't fit, I've put on ten pounds or so. But that's the beauty of knowing and trusting yourself: find what works for you, and ignore all those on-line articles that say you're doing it wrong.
  • wilkie81
    wilkie81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost everyday. Only in the morning and naked Keeps me accountable and I measure once a month on the 15th.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every week. Now it's more like every 2 weeks.
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Maybe every few months...? Scale doesn't really matter much to me anymore. I go by how I look.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Every monday first thing in the morning. Sometimes I'll do it a few days in advance to see if i'm on track for the 1.5lbs a week i set it too.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately EVERY DA*N DAY !!! I am a little obsessive but I have learned to live with the fluctuations.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    every morning after I go to the bathroom, before I work out, shower etc....I log all gains and losses....so the graph line in my progress section looks like the lines on a seismograph during an earthquake....lol
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    once a month. totally enough if you do not lie to yourself :) success will come
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    every morning after I go to the bathroom, before I work out, shower etc....I log all gains and losses....so the graph line in my progress section looks like the lines on a seismograph during an earthquake....lol

Me too, except after workout and shower.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Every morning, naked after going to the bathroom. I know not everyone is on board with daily weighing but it works for me and keeps me motivated. I know that weight fluctuates for all sorts of reasons - sodium intake, that time of the month (for women!), not drinking enough water, and sometimes for no reason at all - and I don't freak out about it. Like right now, it is TOM for me and the scale is up 2 lbs the last 2 days despite staying on track with food/workouts but I know it'll go away in a few days :)
  • bigrednewfie
    bigrednewfie Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Daily, I want to keep a close eye on it. Been daily since Jan 1. Goal this year is to crack the whip and clean up the eating. So far so good.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, naked after using the bathroom. At first the fluctuations bothered me (sometimes they still do a little), but I find that if I'm up a little I can usually tell why if I'm logging. Either I had a lot of sodium the day before or it is a hormonal issue. If I know why I'm up I can either adjust my diet that day, or learn to live with it if it is something I can't control. I always feel good when I'm down. Either way it keeps me motivated to keep logging every day. I post all of my weight in Happy scale and I can definitely see the downward trend. I only post my weight in mfp if it is a new low.
  • knibbzy
    knibbzy Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Once a week. Usually at the weekend. But I do struggle not doing it in between, wanting to check out if my hard work is working haha.

I find I only end up disappointed doing it anymore often than once a week though, when the results are small.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    every morning with very little on
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Daily but Wednesday is my 'official day' ie the weight I log. For example I had rice last night so knew my weight would be up slightly this morning (always does if I have rice or pasta - I assume its water weight), but I weigh just to remind myself to keep at it (*she says whilst drinking gin that I can't be bothered to log and will pay for at parkrun tomorrow!)
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, naked, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. I found for me weighing daily helps keep me motivated and honest about what I am doing. When I do not weigh myself I tend to be lax about what and how I eat. Not stepping on that scale is how I regained 30 of the 90 lbs that I previously lost.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Every morning, I find it interesting how my weight can fluctuate one day to the next, often + or - 0.5 kg. I only worry about upwards or downwards trends over a week though.
  • Sunshine82801
    Sunshine82801 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Daily...It keeps me in a routine.
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    Options
    Every Sunday Morning