quitting smoking and trying to avoid weight gain

Options
today is my first day of quitting smoking. has anyone else quit during their weight loss, any advice?

Replies

• dbrashers
    dbrashers Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It can be really tough, but I found that my breathing was a ton better during workouts! If you feel the urge to munch on food, cut up a ton of celery and munch away! You'll get through it. Also, try to avoid other smokers. If you see someone walking down the street who is smoking, stay away! Avoid second-hand smoke at all costs! It will give you the worst cravings ever!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    No advice as I have not quit yet but I wanted to wish you luck! Its one of the hardest things you will do. I quit once for a year and picked it back up. So I know what you are going through, expecially today. A co worker of mine always had a toothpick hanging out of his mouth when he quit and now like 5 years later still has those toothpicks hanging out of his mouth but he hasnt smoke once. Maybe you can find something like that to do also.
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    I havent been in that situation, but I did want to say way to go!!! It takes alot of effort to even make the decision to quit, and that is a great start! Best of luck!!!
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Options
    I quit about 6 months ago, I didn't gain weight, but I stopped losing for a couple of weeks. I did replace smoking with food a LITTLE bit. But I started working out more vigerously. Since I quit smoking I went from a couch potato to a running, jumping, insanity doing, lean mean fighting machine! It's so worth a few weeks of wonkiness on the scale. To have your health! Good luck, stay strong, its SO worth it after a few weeks you'll notice a difference!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I did. Check my profile. I joined a gym and MFP when I quit, in order to avoid gaining weight. I lost 12 pounds and a 2 sizes, then plateaued for 6 months. I took a break and gained 5 pounds back. Started back on Jan 1 this year and have lost 22 more pounds and another size. I am off the inhaler, all asthma meds, have taken up running and have never felt better.

You can do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I quit 3+ years ago, gained 50 pounds, and am now back into the normal wieght zone thanks to MFP.
    I strongly recommend that you check out this website www.whyquit.com.
    It helped me quit after trying various methods over 25 years.
    It's a free site and even though you have quit already, there is a ton of great info there. I highly recommend you download the free e-book "never take another puff" and read the whole thing.

This guy was way ahead of his time in the 1970's and recognized that smoking was an addiction and not a habit, as doctors of the day were saying.

He's not a doctor or even a smoker but man, he knows all his facts.
    Good luck with your cessation and remember, all you have to do is follow one simple rule, "never take another puff". :glasses:
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Horay for quitting smoking! Proud of you! I've been there....Going on 7 months and unfortunately I didnt plan it. If I knew I would've gained 10 pounds I wouldnt have quit! But i am so glad I did because I am so much healthier now for my family and loved ones. Im i the process of shedding the pounds I gained but I can say one thing for sure....when you quit that need to always put something in your mouth get filled with food. So find something to distract that habit like chewing gum or snacking on healthy food like carrots or almonds or whatever you like.....

So glad for your choice and good luck on your path to a healthier life.

Aloha....Tina
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice because I gained all my weight when I quit smoking but I wasn't actively trying to be healthy at the time. I will wish you strength and the will to stick with it. It is the best thing I ever did for myself (even if I gained 50 lbs). After 3 years of being cig free I can ride my bike up hills, backpack up mountains carrying 30 lbs on my back, I can even run a little. My health is so much better.

You will not regret the hard work you put into quitting. It is by far the most important thing you can do for your body. I wish you well! :flowerforyou:
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    I put on a few pounds when I quit, but nothing major! and losing whatever weight you may gain is easier than reversing all of the damage smoking is doing! I would say start getting active ASAP, like dsmith85 said, once I started working out, I realized how hard it was for me to breath, and after I quit it was so much easier....that was enough to motivate me. start drinking lots of water, avoid other smokers, and be careful about drinking too much (other than calories, that's when I would have the hardest time not bumming one). This is cheesy but it really helped me....I bought a pack of post its and wrote a number on each one, 1 on the first then counting up as I went. Every day when I woke up I peeled a post it off to signify what number day ciggy-free I was on. Also, tell people you're quitting! It not only helps hold you accountable, but is motivating to see how excited people are for you! Also, most of the smokers will be jealous and tell you about their "plans to quit" at some convenient time....but there's no more convenient time than now!
  • mrsswc
    mrsswc Posts: 1
    Options
    i quit smoking 14 weeks ago, i went on to the e-cig and have not had a real cig in all that time, i had smoked for 39 years and up to 60 cigs a day but because of the e-cig i have not gained any more weight, good luck with it all its hard to just stop my husband stopped 14 weeks ago to but he dont have the e-cig, and he has put about 7lb on i wish you well susan
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    So this is something I posted back in April and I certainly do not mind repeating it if it can help another person to be strong so here it goes - it is a long story but the total truth.

I used to hate it when ex smokers would lecture or warn me about smoking. Hell, nothings going to happen to me.

Ok - let me put it to you this way - diet and look great and smoke the cigs - or diet and look great and no cigs. I am currently lugging around a 15 lb oxygen tank with a plastic tube stuck up my nostrils, most likely for the rest of my life, and that my dear doesn't look good. Better just stop now and show those cigs that you are stronger than them. They will and believe me, perhaps not now, but they will eventually ruin yr life later.

I too like everyone else tried to quit smoking w/o success, tried pills, patches, hypnosis and nothing worked. I really needed my mouth stapled closed. Finally I tried Chantix and it worked (totally wierd dreams) but then my Dad got sick suddenly & I spent everyday & moment possible from July 5th until August 25th by his side until he died. Believe me, I was smoking the entire time my Dad was ill and smoking more than ever. After he passed away I would smoke the usual at work but at night I would go out on my deck and chain smoke and would talk to my Dad in the heavens. I wasn't feeling well as I was already diagonosed with Emphysema but that didn't matter. Each cigarette, to me, was my time alone with myself to be alone and think. Not that I was thinking about the actual act of smoking, just smoking and thinking. Well this went on and on thru the winter and I would sometimes feel dizzy when walking back into the house, but it didn't matter. Spring came and so did the pollen. On April 14th (my wedding anniversary) I went out after lunch at work and had gone outside for my usual cigarettes but started coughing and choking like a was kid smoking for the very first time. I went back to my desk and literally choked until 5pm and I know this was annoying some people but others were truly concerned. I thought it was just the pollen. Went home driving and choking (not an easy task to do) and suddenly seemed to stop choking for a while which made me think that it was definitely the pollen around my job and there different kinds of trees by my house and I was ok now. So I went out on the deck and lit one up and started to choke. Didn't feel well & called my husband to say I couldn't celebrate our anniversary like we had planned. I went to bed with about 6 pillows to support me bcuz I couldn't lay down from choking. I spent the night like that - texted myself out of work the next morning and my husband insisted that I go to the hospital. Being pig headed I argued and then 3 hrs later said I would go but needed to take a shower first - vanity b4 health. Well, I didn't know that my oxygen level was basically depleted and when I stepped into the nice hot shower I suffocated - or respirtory failure as the paperwork read. The most horrible feeling ever - I grabbed the shower curtain and walls. Lucky for me my husband and daughter were right there bcuz they knew how bad I was (my son stayed in another room) - I literally watched as they faded from my sight. Next thing I know I am in the ER with tubes down my throat, IV's in both arms like I am was pincushion. I spent 14 days in that hospital and 2 months later another 5 days. I have Emphysema and COPD. My lungs are at 49% total capacity. I cannot get better but if I continue all my meds, breathing treatments, inhalers, oxygen 24/7 I may maintain my current status or may not. But let me tell you...Spring - pollen kills me - Summer heat and humidity - not a good mixture for me - Fall - pollen once again - Winter - cold air takes the wind right out of my lungs that actually hurts.

So, please do yourself a huge favor now and get a prescription for a pill, patch or whatever. Just stop and don't be so stupid as I was - I wish I could have suffocated years ago and perhaps I wouldn't be in this situation today. It is not a good place to be. I still miss my Dad every single day - still go to pick up the phone to call him and realize that he's gone. The cigarettes weren't going to bring my Dad back to me. The cigarettes aren't going to take away any sadness I feel. The cigarettes aren't going to make any problems go away. Smokers will smoke bcuz we are happy, sad, nervous, excited - pls just stop bcuz they will hurt you.
  • jgrice
    jgrice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What's your motivation to quit? What's your motivation to loose weight? Keep them in mind when temptation occurs because simply put you will be tempted. I quit a 2 pack a day habit and I've lost weight. It was at different times but I was only successful at either one after I found my motivation. Find your motivation and identify why your doing this then always keep it in sight.

When you have the urge to fill the void with food think of your motivation. When you have to urge light up a smoke remember why your are quiting. Burn it into your mind and never forget!

You can do this!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Firstly One doesnt go with the other. YOU HAVE THE WILL POWER TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE!! PROOF IS YOUR DOING IT RIGHT NOW! You dont want to hurt your body and want to be healthy. SO DONT USE FOOD AS AN EXCUSE AND DONT USE QUITTING AS YOUR REASON TO EAT!
    The thing with quitting smoking is this YOU HAVE TO REALLY WANT TO! YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE CHOICE TO QUIT! PERIOD NO SECRET JUST KNOWING ITS TIME! Not saying it isnt hard, but its only your mind telling you its hard. ONCE your through it and you look back you will realize it wasnt as hard as you thought it was going to be.
    Another thing is you have to find different ways of thinking YOUR NOW A NON SMOKER! YOU HAVE QUIT! Not that your trying to quit! You have to realize that boredom, stress, happiness, anger, wasting time is no longer filled with smoking. Find other ways to deal with those things. Exercise is a great way!
    Now the next little while is going to be tough but your body will heal and get through the cravings and withdrawls, DONT GIVE UP, DONT GIVE INTO THE LITTLE EVIL STICK! DONT LET IT WIN! YOU ARE STRONGER THAN IT!! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF YOU CAN DO IT!

Now when you have cravings, DRINK COLD and I MEAN ICE COLD water, it helps trigger your brain away from the craving and flush your body of toxins.
    CHEW GUM or VEGGIES keep them with you at all times. That way you will not go for that smoke go for gum or celery/carrots
    Break the habits your used to if you smoke when you first wake up, take a shower right away, if you have smoke breaks at work, Go for a walk, If you smoke after dinner read a book instead. DO THINGS to not make you think about smoking.
    If you need help to get through hell week then use it. a patch, or meds doesnt mean you cant do it just that you are doing it differently.

Also put the money you would spend on smokes away each day so you can treat yourself in a month/year
    KEEP THE REASONS YOUR CHANGING YOUR LIFE ALWAYS IN YOUR MIND! WRITE THEM DOWN AND PUT THEM WHERE YOU SEE THEM EVERYDAY! GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO CONGRADS ON BEING A NON SMOKER
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    all great advise !!! just keep in mind if you are stressed and think you need one...DONT.... the stress will be there regardless !!! i am still amazed and very proud of myself that i quit 2 years ago... i was a very heavy smoker 2+ packs a day . dont let cigarettes dictate your life... you CAN do it... just put your mind into it... i wanted to try and work out when i quit but for me that wasnt possible as i got a back injury soon after. thinking of you, it will be hard but is POSSIBLE take care
    lori
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I gained about 10lbs, but I am healthier than I was before I quit. My doctor even verified that. She said gaining 10lbs was better than smoking.

*******I have been a non smoker for 1 Year, 3 Months, 2 Weeks, 1 Day (472 days). I have saved $2,361.89 by not smoking 9,447 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 1 Day, 19 hours. My Quit Date: 3/1/2010*****
  • athom914
    athom914 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you want to try to quit smoking, but worry about gaining weight. This revolutionary new product, only one on the market, helps you not gain weight while quitting. I am not a sales person just wanting to help others. Check it out for yourself at: http://www.dontsmokeloseweight.com/
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    So how are you doing with the quitting