new and need encouragment

Options
Over the past 6-8 weeks, I have changed my eating habits (cut out sweets, soda and fast food).
I've been tracking my calories (1200 per day).
I've been increasing my activity-running and/or walking 3-4 days a week and added some weight lifting this week.
I've increased my water intake. I seem to be drinking water all day long now.
I am seeing very VERY little change.
Any thoughts or encouragement?

Replies

• gcox31750
    gcox31750 Posts: 5
    Options
    Its me again .....boy i feel like a yoyo sometimes i get started do great and then it is like i try my best to defeat myself (if that makes sense) i lose weight and then fall right back into the same pattern .....on the wagon again maybe this time i will have the will power to stay on.....Any suggestions on how not to jump off again and burn the wagon?
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It could be with the running and weight lifting that your body is building muscle which actually weighs more than fat therefore the scale may not change. Maybe take some measurements to be able to compare those in future weeks instead of just going by the scale? Or some photos? It sounds like you're doing everything right, just keep on going and you're bound to notice a difference in no time!!
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? 1200 calories does not seem like nearly enough. Most likely you're not giving your body enough food and it's gone into starvation mode. It's very hard to burn fat when you're not eating enough. You might drop weight fast at first but when your body adjusts you will stop losing weight even at low calories. I have had this happen to me a few times. What you need to do is take a day or two off your diet or just eat more calories for a few days (over 2000) and then lower them again. I think you might be better with at least 1500 calories. I'm not sure what your weight and goals are but 1200 seems low for anyone.
  • vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    costrom, I often don't lose anything (or even gain) when I change up my exercise. Then that weight falls off again in a week or two, so just be patient! Your profile also shows you are pretty close to your goal. In that case, those last few pounds may take a LONG time. Maybe shift your focus from the weight loss and focus on other measures of success (increasing intensity in workouts, higher weights, more energy, etc.). And, the last thing, without being able to see your diary, you are probably not eating enough if you are eating 1200 calories a day, try upping your calories and see what happens (maybe try 1400-1500).
  • k9fan4life
    k9fan4life Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello, the hardest thing to do is keep going when your not getting any results. You just want to say screw it and get a Big Mac. The best thing I found for that is totally change things up. I end up looking like a cracked out jac rabbit at the gym jumping from one machine to the other to free weights, then abbs. This will, sometimes, "shock your system, and keep your body guessing.

This only works if you stay under your calorie count.

Give it a try and I hope it helps.

Try walking backwards on the treadmill. Everyone will think you are completely nuts!
  • Zakth
    Zakth Posts: 37
    Options
    First let me address something, muscle and fat weigh the same pound for pound. If you are adding muscle then the scale is not going to move much simply for the fact you are adding to your body instead of taking away. Are you certain that 1200 calories is what you need? Use the tools here to figure out exactly what you need and don't forget to add back in the calories you burn doing exercise -- it's very important! Also do not deprive yourself of the foods you love because it will cause you to relapse. Just make sure that you eat the proper serving size.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that weight loss IS NOT EASY! & that it takes time. The best thing that you can do is keep your commitment to yourself and keep logging on everyday (if you can) and post. I find the more I read other's stories and post I feel even more motivated than before and I learn new things too.
    If you feel like you're going to fall off the wagon or need motivation then this is the place to go! There are so many great people on here it's hard to not to want to come back.
    But if you need something more physical than the cyber world then try getting a workout partner. I haven't really tried to get one yet so I don't really have any advice; but I have tried taking a class @ my community college before and I enjoyed it. If anything, the set schedule def. kept me from falling off! haha :)
  • costrom
    costrom Posts: 3
    Options
    I input the requested info and the recommendation was 1200 cals . Did I maybe do something wrong?
    I am seeing small changes on the scale (a lot of up and down, sometimes by 2-4 lbs per day) but I don't SEE my body changing.
    I am concerned more with the way my body looks rather than what the scale says. I feel like I am putting in much effort and getting very little in the way of results.
  • Zakth
    Zakth Posts: 37
    Options
    Your going to see up's and down's on the scale if you weigh in every day or even every other day. The important thing is that you go by what the program tells you and stick to it. Remember to log everything you eat or drink as sometimes things slip our minds. If you exercise log it, if you walk for a period of time then also log that. Don't forget to eat any exercise calories you are getting. If you put in all of your information correctly and it's giving you 1200 calories then try that for a month and see if it works for you. BTW, a goal of 1lb per week is more likely to work than anything higher.