Being T1 Diabetic & Low Blood Sugar

Options
Being a T1 diabetic sucks. Some days, it's not so bad--obviously life could be worse--but this is my cross to bear so when it sucks there's really not much others can say or do to change my mindset. I had such a great day yesterday... had fantastic endo appointment and hit an 11 lb. loss. I was smiling ear to ear. Then, for some unknown reason, my blood sugar dropped today. Down to 42. Those of you who are not diabetic--that's low. Super low. When blood sugar goes that low it becomes near impossible for me to get a simple word like "sky" to form in my brain. I know it's low... I feel like ****... and the craziest thing happens... I become RAVENOUS. I mean I could eat a truckload of food. And NOTHING is going to keep me from it. And so, when that stupid low number hit, I grabbed the one and only dollar bill out of my purse, headed down to the vending machine that I haven't visited for a good 8 weeks or so, and proceeded to look for my old friend SNICKERS. I came back to my desk and inhaled it. And it was GOOD. :love: I can tell my sugars are stabilizing now and am lucky today is a higher calorie day (zig-zag week). I'm not too upset with myself--I didn't just undo all the good I've done thusfar. I guess I just wanted to put in black and white what this stupid disease can do to a diabetic. Honestly, if I had another dollar I can't say I wouldn't stop typing mid-sentence to go grab another Snickers because again--that was GOOOOOOOD. :laugh:

Replies

• Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    I am also T1 diabetic. Have been for 25 years. I am on the pump and when I start to feel like I am going low, I am able to stop the pump from dosing me until I can eat something. That has helped me tremendously. But...I still get low now and then.

You are soooooooo right. Diabetes sucks mud. It always has and always will.:grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad:

If you want to be friends....I don't think a person can have too many. Friend me.

Debra:wink:
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    I am also T1, as are several of my MFP friends. I know it sucks, and it was interesting getting a balance of sugars in relation to exercise, eating right, etc. For a while it was my excuse not to change, now I realize I can't let anything get in the way of being healthy. Good luck in your journey!
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i am a diebetic; its a hard diease to live with; its already affected my organs (just starting to liver, kidney) but my advice to u; take care of your self now; don't do the mistake i did and waited. hang in there i have faith in u .
  • sylouette98
    sylouette98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can totally identify...I'm a T2 Diabetic (recently taken off my meds by the doctor because of my 70lb weight loss). Holy cow, when that blood sugar bottoms out...bad things start to happen. And you're right...you cannot shove enough food in fast enough. For me the magic window of stable blood sugar is 90-110. Anything lower than 85 and I start slurring my speech and can't form a complete sentence. Above 115-ish and I get dots in my vision...yeah, it's awesome. Thankfully though, I've been pretty lucky with it since being taken off the meds...but I feel your pain!!! Congrats on the weight loss!
  • littlebones14
    Options
    I'm a huge believer in the usage of cheat meals/days. I have attempted to cut everything out before and it failed miserably. Now every 3 days I get one cheat (be it the majority of the time is like a small bag of chips, also usually Lay's Baked) and I find outside of that I don't get any real cravings now.

And let's face the facts, a lot of the tastiest foods aren't exactly easy on the kcals, saturated fats and refined sugars. Might as well have one and enjoy life once and awhile (even if it is just to bring up your blood glucose!).
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    I am also T1, as are several of my MFP friends. I know it sucks, and it was interesting getting a balance of sugars in relation to exercise, eating right, etc. For a while it was my excuse not to change, now I realize I can't let anything get in the way of being healthy. Good luck in your journey!

Oh I soooo know what you mean about balancing exercise--I have to completely disconnect my pump just to walk my dogs or I end up all low sugar stupid. lol I have a friend who tries to talk me into doing Zumba with her but I am way too afraid--something high-energy/high-aerobic will for sure send me into a coma. I'm convinced. lol but not.
  • mammado11
    mammado11 Posts: 26
    Options
    Im also Diabetic, this Aug will be 24yrs. I know what you mean about getting low blood sugar. I'll be doing good all day on calories, then BAM my sugars drop and I start pigging out to get it back up! It sucks!! There are also times when Im not hungry, but I know I have to eat so my sugars don't drop. I have the pump also, I got it back in 2001 and it's helped out alot, especially with all 4 pregnancies! But sometimes it's a pain in the butt, I often find myself running out of spots to insert the infusion set!
  • heathally
    heathally Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sure you get ravenous, your body is demanding to have your sugar levels brought up. And there are worse choices than snickers...at least the peanuts provide you with some protein :wink:
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    i am a diebetic; its a hard diease to live with; its already affected my organs (just starting to liver, kidney) but my advice to u; take care of your self now; don't do the mistake i did and waited. hang in there i have faith in u .

Thanks for the support! I am really sorry yours has progressed to that level. I think had I been younger when diagnosed I may have poo-pooed the dr.s when they warned me about what could happen if I didn't take care of myself. I was diagnosed in my early 30's and trying to have a baby so from day 1 I was all over it. There are most definitely times when I want to run my pump over with my car and pretend I'm just like everyone else... but I'm not. You take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    Im also Diabetic, this Aug will be 24yrs. I know what you mean about getting low blood sugar. I'll be doing good all day on calories, then BAM my sugars drop and I start pigging out to get it back up! It sucks!! There are also times when Im not hungry, but I know I have to eat so my sugars don't drop. I have the pump also, I got it back in 2001 and it's helped out alot, especially with all 4 pregnancies! But sometimes it's a pain in the butt, I often find myself running out of spots to insert the infusion set!

You mean you don't grab a handful of chalky glucose tabs to bring it back up instead of a candy bar? For shame! :laugh: I just told someone it's almost like you're having an out of body experience while you're shoving the food in and then you come to when your sugars start to stabilize and look down to see the crumbs all over and think... what the?... who did that? Awful. What kind of pump are you on? I have the Minimed and love it (never ever thought I'd say those words!).
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel alone! I am T1, diagnosed 23 yrs ago and have a pump (for 3 yrs). Your post is right on time for me, as I am SUPER discouraged today with all my lows. I started exercising again after 2 weeks and woke up at 3a at 38 (at too much so had to take some insulin) then at 6a at 35 then again at 12:30 with 64. I thought I was the only person who lacked self-control when it comes to bringing my sugar level up. I eat...and eat...and eat until I feel better. Which totally sets me back for the day. I even have a "diabetes sucks" category! Don't let diabetes keep you from exercising or trying high impact workout. Consult with your endocrinologist, turn off your pump, eat something before hand and jump in there.

Not that this recipe is for everyone, but I usually test an hour before exercise, turn my pump off and eat something (like a banana or fiberplus bar) that will sustain me through the workout. Sometimes I make it through, sometimes I don't. Other times I come out SKY HIGH. This thing is trial and error, so keep trying & lose your weight :)

p.s. Feel free to add me.
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    Please don't feel alone! I am T1, diagnosed 23 yrs ago and have a pump (for 3 yrs). Your post is right on time for me, as I am SUPER discouraged today with all my lows. I started exercising again after 2 weeks and woke up at 3a at 38 (at too much so had to take some insulin) then at 6a at 35 then again at 12:30 with 64. I thought I was the only person who lacked self-control when it comes to bringing my sugar level up. I eat...and eat...and eat until I feel better. Which totally sets me back for the day. I even have a "diabetes sucks" category! Don't let diabetes keep you from exercising or trying high impact workout. Consult with your endocrinologist, turn off your pump, eat something before hand and jump in there.

Not that this recipe is for everyone, but I usually test an hour before exercise, turn my pump off and eat something (like a banana or fiberplus bar) that will sustain me through the workout. Sometimes I make it through, sometimes I don't. Other times I come out SKY HIGH. This thing is trial and error, so keep trying & lose your weight :)

p.s. Feel free to add me.

That was great advice--thank you! I think 38 actually was the lowest I've ever been--WOO HOO! hahahaha That is just messed up low! I almost always forget to just turn off the pump when lows like that happen but of course when you're brain isn't functioning how are you gonna remember to do that?!
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    I even have a "diabetes sucks" category!

BTW... I am stealing that and adding that category to my profile!
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options

Oh I soooo know what you mean about balancing exercise--I have to completely disconnect my pump just to walk my dogs or I end up all low sugar stupid. lol I have a friend who tries to talk me into doing Zumba with her but I am way too afraid--something high-energy/high-aerobic will for sure send me into a coma. I'm convinced. lol but not.

I thought the same thing about Zumba, but then I tried it and loved it! Never had a low during, sometimes after but I got some advice from my trainer that really helped me, he told me not to eat an hour before exercise, and it was like a light bulb went off, if i eat an hour before it's enough time for me to digest a snack before a workout, and not too far before that i will be running low. I also learned to adjust how much insulin i take before a workout to accommodate for what i'm about to burn.

I can totally relate to wanting to eat everything in sight during a severe low! That's why i've gotten rid of all unhealthy snacks so that they are no longer a temptation for me. (yeah, i definitely don't reach for the glucose tablets, i want some real sugar! LOL!)

I can also relate to another user who mentioned that they don't even feel hungry when they eat, they're just eating to keep from falling low, been there, done that; the good news is your body will get used to a regular routine and will actually feel hungry when it's time to eat! keep up the good work!

P.S. feel free to add me. Us T1's gotta stick together! it's always encouraging to know that there is someone else out there who can relate to what you're going through :smile:
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    I can totally identify...I'm a T2 Diabetic (recently taken off my meds by the doctor because of my 70lb weight loss). Holy cow, when that blood sugar bottoms out...bad things start to happen. And you're right...you cannot shove enough food in fast enough. For me the magic window of stable blood sugar is 90-110. Anything lower than 85 and I start slurring my speech and can't form a complete sentence. Above 115-ish and I get dots in my vision...yeah, it's awesome. Thankfully though, I've been pretty lucky with it since being taken off the meds...but I feel your pain!!! Congrats on the weight loss!

Congratulations on your 70# loss--that is amazing! You really have a tight window to stay within to feel healthy. My mom is T2 is says she feels awful if she's below 110. I think she'd have a stroke if she heard I was in the 40's today.... :tongue:
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I can relate all too well with the ravenous "shove anything edible in my line of vision down my throat" thing. Nothing passes my mind but SUGAR NEED SUGAR until I can feel my body again. I've been T1 since I was 3 years old, and had my fair share of extreme lows (and crazy insane highs) in the 17 years, and there's nothing worse than that jittery sunken stomach low feeling. Once I woke up in the middle of the night LOW (the meter actually read LOW) and felt myself blacking out while I was in bed and couldn't get up. My phone was next to me and somehow(I still don't know how) I managed to call my mom in the next room and she saved me.

When you guys work out, do you find that there's a delayed reaction time with the blood sugars? It's been happening often to me lately, where I'll exercise in the morning, be fine during the day, and then come 6ish I'll go low, drink OJ, 2 hours later go low again. Like today, I had a great workout in the morning, covered up to my lunch snack (but not for the peanut butter, just for the bagel) and then at dinner I was 132 and didn't take insulin (I never cover for veggies or whatever). At 6 I felt low, and was 61. Had the yogurt, went up to 97. Usually for 30+ uncovered carbs like that, I'd go even higher an hour after eating them, but around 7:30 I felt low again, was 54. Had the orange and the OJ, fine until 9ish: 52! WTF?! I stopped logging at this point and had real carbs (a bagel) and some more OJ, but now I'm scared to go to sleep for a few hours until I'm sure my blood sugar's up, hence why I'm killing time here. Anyone have any insight?
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options

You mean you don't grab a handful of chalky glucose tabs to bring it back up instead of a candy bar? For shame! :laugh: I just told someone it's almost like you're having an out of body experience while you're shoving the food in and then you come to when your sugars start to stabilize and look down to see the crumbs all over and think... what the?... who did that? Awful. What kind of pump are you on? I have the Minimed and love it (never ever thought I'd say those words!).

bahaha i love that example of how you feel when you're low. i've come to, sitting on the kitchen floor in front of my fridge & having scarfed way more than i needed without meaning to. when you're really low, there isn't the thought process of only eating a certain number of carbs & getting in some protein to keep us higher. hate it.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I can relate all too well with the ravenous "shove anything edible in my line of vision down my throat" thing. Nothing passes my mind but SUGAR NEED SUGAR until I can feel my body again. I've been T1 since I was 3 years old, and had my fair share of extreme lows (and crazy insane highs) in the 17 years, and there's nothing worse than that jittery sunken stomach low feeling. Once I woke up in the middle of the night LOW (the meter actually read LOW) and felt myself blacking out while I was in bed and couldn't get up. My phone was next to me and somehow(I still don't know how) I managed to call my mom in the next room and she saved me.

When you guys work out, do you find that there's a delayed reaction time with the blood sugars? It's been happening often to me lately, where I'll exercise in the morning, be fine during the day, and then come 6ish I'll go low, drink OJ, 2 hours later go low again. Like today, I had a great workout in the morning, covered up to my lunch snack (but not for the peanut butter, just for the bagel) and then at dinner I was 132 and didn't take insulin (I never cover for veggies or whatever). At 6 I felt low, and was 61. Had the yogurt, went up to 97. Usually for 30+ uncovered carbs like that, I'd go even higher an hour after eating them, but around 7:30 I felt low again, was 54. Had the orange and the OJ, fine until 9ish: 52! WTF?! I stopped logging at this point and had real carbs (a bagel) and some more OJ, but now I'm scared to go to sleep for a few hours until I'm sure my blood sugar's up, hence why I'm killing time here. Anyone have any insight?

if you find insight on the delayed low's, i'd love to be enlightened too! i have that happen. sometimes when i do something new to exercise or off my typical schedule, my body seems to rebel by waiting 4-6 hours to drop randomly, when i'm not expecting it. :o/
  • Jenna470
    Jenna470 Posts: 13
    Options
    That is a great way to describe it. I've a Type 1 for 17 years and it does make you feel weird when you get so low. I had one instance where my blood sugar was somewhere around 35 or so and my husband had to call 911 because he had no idea what was wrong with me. He had no idea what was wrong with me but that I was delirious and completely out of it. It's weird that you do feel so helpless and loopy. I hate eating something to bring my blood sugar up immediately and then it seems that you've eaten too much so your sugar goes the opposite end. I guess when you feel so low and just want to bring it up so quickly, then that is what happens.
  • Jenna470
    Jenna470 Posts: 13
    Options

bahaha i love that example of how you feel when you're low. i've come to, sitting on the kitchen floor in front of my fridge & having scarfed way more than i needed without meaning to. when you're really low, there isn't the thought process of only eating a certain number of carbs & getting in some protein to keep us higher. hate it.

Is anyone on the Animas Ping? I'm on that and actually have liked it so far. It's expensive to be on but is competely helpful. Yes I do want to throw it across the room at times but all in all, I am glad to be on it. Ask me that about 2 years ago and I would have a totally different repsonse for you. :)