Headlamp suggestions?

Options
Hi all,

I've taken up running in my goal to get back in shape. The issue I have is that no matter when I go running until later in the year, I'll be running in the dark. Where I live, there is a bit of night traffic and the running path I take isn't even. I'm looking into getting a headlamp to light the path, and make it a bit easier to see me (I avoid crossing streets, wear a running bracelet that blinks light, and clothes that have reflective marks). So I'm looking for suggestions on what headlamps other night runners suggest.

Thanks.

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I love my Black Diamond Icon for trail running, but it might be overkill just for short road runs (I like it because it is powerful and has a battery pack, so I can change it on the run, but its still comfortable). Their "Spot" headlamp is also very good, its much smaller but still puts out 200 lumens.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a Petzl head lamp that was rather pricey but I prefer the $9.00 Energizer one I picked up on sale at Walmart in the Sporting goods section.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Knuckle lights! I've had some quite good headtorches, but these are so much better that now I only use the headlamp for putting things in the attic.
  • NJPhil
    NJPhil Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have had good success with a Petzl Tikka headlamp and Nathan Zephyr handheld for trail running.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Knuckle lights! I've had some quite good headtorches, but these are so much better that now I only use the headlamp for putting things in the attic.

I've found that while the Knuckle Lights are GREAT for others seeing you since you can point them at vehicles approaching you, their light wasn't adequate for me to feel comfortable in certain areas. In the city as fill light, I can see well enough. But on dark asphalt (tarmac) trails when it's raining, or ESPECIALLY when trail running and bombing the downhills, I can't see as well as I'd like. On the trails, due to the light being more pretty diffuse, I couldn't see the bumps/dips very well. When I did a Ragnar Trail relay, I added a cheap headlight I got at the hardware store. The light was more focused, and pointed from higher, so I got better contrast/shadows. With the addition of the Knuckle Lights to add more contrast, I was able to see well enough to really bomb the downhills.
  • DeannaTN
    DeannaTN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been using a GoMotion waist belt for night runs and been really happy with it. The light beam is adjustable (lo/med/hi and also adjusts from focused to wider beam), the belt is comfortable and the battery pack is rechargeable with a USB charging cord.
  • whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is minimal street lighting where I run, and with the drought, then rain, then drought, the sidewalks in the neighborhood I live in are far from even (there are easily sections that are a couple of inches above or below the next portion, which I've caught more than once during the day). And it has been raining fairly frequently, so it's harder both for me to see how my path looks (I ran through too many deeper than expected puddles Wednesday) and for drivers to see me.

My fiance also would feel much safer if I had a headlamp, for the same reasons. I'm also going to invest in some reflective tape to make me more visible, to other people.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

I've found that while the Knuckle Lights are GREAT for others seeing you since you can point them at vehicles approaching you, their light wasn't adequate for me to feel comfortable in certain areas. In the city as fill light, I can see well enough. But on dark asphalt (tarmac) trails when it's raining, or ESPECIALLY when trail running and bombing the downhills, I can't see as well as I'd like. On the trails, due to the light being more pretty diffuse, I couldn't see the bumps/dips very well. When I did a Ragnar Trail relay, I added a cheap headlight I got at the hardware store. The light was more focused, and pointed from higher, so I got better contrast/shadows. With the addition of the Knuckle Lights to add more contrast, I was able to see well enough to really bomb the downhills.

Really? I find I can see better than with a headlight, perhaps because of the improved depth perception from having both lights. Though I will say that it's best when the batteries are relatively fresh. I often run in total darkness because I live in the deep dark Scottish countryside, but when I am running alongside a road (also unlit) I prefer not to use a headlamp because the path is slightly higher than the road and a headlamp would be shining directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have a black diamond headlamp as well. I've had it for about 6 months and I like it, but I don't have anything else to compare it to. I use it for hiking, not running.

Get one that you can adjust the angle on. Also, if the band doesn't go underneath the lamp you should wear a headband or hat underneath it. Plastic + sweaty skin = rash.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Nathan Nebula Fire. It has several modes from dim to torch bright. It also has a mode that flashes when it sees headlights approaching.