Running when you're bigger than normal - for women only

Options
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I'm quite big in the bust. I'm trying to lose some weight so I can have reduction surgery. Meantime, I'm trying to get my fitness up as well and want to try running, but it can be a little painful, not to mention embarrassing. Sports bras don't offer much support and don't stop the, er, bouncing. What can I do to make it more comfortable?

Replies

• timmsyc
    timmsyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The best bras by far are the shock absorber run range. A little more expensive but definitely worth it.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The impact of running is something that the connective tissue everywhere in your body needs to get used to over time, and the support structures for your breasts are experiencing a strain that they haven't before. So I would say if you've invested in a good bra and you're still having pain, cut back on the running a just bit and progress a little more slowly.

Give it time and don't give up. If your progression is slow and steady you should notice that longer/faster runs become less painful.

Also, good advice once given to me when I started running was to make sure you can walk the distance without pain before training to run for it.

I hope someone with more experience in this particular area can share their wisdom with you.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    As a larger runner myself, I can tell you to start slow. Walking and then build up from there. As you lose weight it will become more comfortable. The expense of a good sports bra will be worth it in the end. Let your body get used to the activity as you build up. I have been increasing my speed by 10% maybe once a month. When I started I could barely run let alone walk 2 miles. It will take some time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I haven't run since I was in the military and had no choice. However, I love to walk, and do that most days.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've heard some large busted women say they wear 2 sports bras
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    lwarrnz wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I'm quite big in the bust. I'm trying to lose some weight so I can have reduction surgery. Meantime, I'm trying to get my fitness up as well and want to try running, but it can be a little painful, not to mention embarrassing. Sports bras don't offer much support and don't stop the, er, bouncing. What can I do to make it more comfortable?

I don't know how large breasted you are, but when I was a 38H I used Enell sports bras. It provided adequate support. Enell sizes may go into your size range. They are one of the larger options. I use Shock Absorber now at a 34DD.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Try this: http://enell.com/enell-sport.html

Its ugly as heck. But I promise you will hardly move. Bounce-wise, I mean.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but I wear a maximum support sports bra size a smaller than is totally comfortable.

If you're a beginner looking for great running advice and coaching, check out runners world starting line forum. Several more experienced runners and coaches are available to help with just about any question you could have. I've met many good running friends there!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I went to an actual undergarment specialty shop. I purchased a great supportive exercise bra. It was $40 but, worth every penny. Now, I wish I bought more than one. Guess, I will go back a get a couple more.
  • missjessau
    missjessau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a 12 or 14G/H depending on brand - I have a Elomi Energise sports bra, which has a J hook - so you can turn it into a racer back (more support) . I went to a specialty shop to get fitted.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wear two bras and dont forget anti chafing gel everywhere repeat everywhere you could also wear a sports bra and one of those vests with built in support but those chafe too
  • titianknitter
    titianknitter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Go and get a sports bra fitting at a retailer that specializes in women's athletic clothing, such as Title Nine, or an independent lingerie store. Be prepared to hear that your current band size is too large; sports bras need to be super snug.

The Enell sports bra is well-known as being great for the well-endowed. Moving Comfort makes some excellent sports bras in larger sizes; their Fiona is a longstanding favorite, but I think that they have added to their line. New Balance does a good one as well. Someone already mentioned Shock Absorber, which I absolutely love, but must warn you is a bit pricey. But, really, go and get a fitting.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34J & have a Shock Absorber Women's Multi Sport Max Support in 34HH which I can squeeze into with lots of spillage & it works pretty well. It is supposed to encapsulate to minimize movement, but for me it works more like a compression bra since I don't actually fit in the cups. I wish I had gotten an Enell. HH is the largest cup size they have in the Shock Absorber. Enell will custom make your bra if you don't fit into their standard sizes: http://enell.com/custom-fit.html . Plus I like that they hook in the front. I am super unflexible & it is really hard to get into the Shock Absorber.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have a Wacoal sports bra. It's like a regular bra, but more compact. It's great for running. I love it. Plus it comes in actual sizes, it goes to 42DDD.

This is the one I use:

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-855170-sports-underwire-bra.shtml
  • lwarrnz
    lwarrnz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you for the feedback. Some of the brands mentioned aren't familiar to me so I'm not sure they're available in New Zealand, but I will enquire with our local stores. Thanks again.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Been there.

I tried on a thousand sports bras. I jumped in the dressing room and finally found one that worked. It took a lot of trial and error. My first bra was a rather ugly one from Lane Bryant. My second one (and my favorite) was an expensive molded rubber thing from a sporting goods store; the only one that hasn't given me a uniboob. Now I'm buying cheaper ones because I'm smaller and was going through an economy phase. As I stare down a new running challenge, I'm considering one that is more molded again b/c I felt so much better looking in it...

Then, I would recommend the slow start others have recommended. Start with a few yards of running mixed with fast walking until your body tissue and joints acclimate. Build your running distance slowly and your body will adjust without injury; then you will run a whole mile, and then MILES!!!

Then you will start losing weight and you'll have to buy another one, but everything will get easier -- NOT day to day, but month to month you will find improvement!

• kathy0224
    kathy0224 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    if they don't have those brands in NZ, you can always try a binder. they are designed for transgendered female to male & will really smoosh you.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Someone at my gym suggested 2 bras and I could have kissed them. Best advice ever.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm 36H and I love bras by Elomi. They're sold on Amazon but I buy mine at a local specialty shop. I use the sports bra and their regular bras are so so comfortable.

The sport bra is called Energiser and the everyday bra is called Etta. I highly recommend them!