Exercise after a long break! What's going to happen?

Options
Hi all, hope you've had a wonderful holiday period and a great New Year!

Long story short, I used to exercise regularly (something like a 30 minute tabata/cardio FitnessBlender video at least 4/5 times a week) but I ended up completely stopping. Mainly due to realising if I didn't exercise one day, I wouldn't magically put all the weight back on, and as a student I don't always set the time aside to exercise.

I'm looking to ease myself back into it (for my health more than weight loss!), but I was wondering whether I'll see water retention immediately? i.e. if I started exercising tonight and the next night, will I look like I've put on weight? I know a little bit about water retention, and I know that it's not true weight - I'm just trying to prepare myself so I don't panic! Any advice on people that have been through the same thing, or know anything about it?

Thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, you may see a bump up in scale weight when just starting to exercise again. If you're feeling any delayed onset muscle soreness then expect to see a bump up in scale weight until your body finishes holding onto the extra water it uses to repair. Good luck!
  • askandtheanswer
    askandtheanswer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Yes, you may see a bump up in scale weight when just starting to exercise again. If you're feeling any delayed onset muscle soreness then expect to see a bump up in scale weight until your body finishes holding onto the extra water it uses to repair. Good luck!

Ah okay, good to know what to expect! Thank you for the help!