Quality protein shake suggestions

Options
basmith0702
basmith0702 Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I'm looking for a good protein powder I can mix in and make a morning shake. I'd like it to be somewhat "clean" ingredients (no soy protein or sweetners) and nothing too pricey. All the ones I've heard others recommend like shakeology and isagenix are too pricey for me. Any suggestions??

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Have you seen what stores have to offer? And if you don't like it, it's a matter of returning at the store (easy).
    Walmart has plenty to offer at very good prices.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I get hemp protein on Amazon. I don't think it's too $$$$$
  • mariak16
    mariak16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been using Vega and I really like it. It's made from whole food ingredients and uses plant proteins instead of whey. It also has lots of fiber, which is a big plus.
  • worddigger
    worddigger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just posted similar question! I am going to try Sunwarrior Blend... Heard it was a good one...;):)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with soy?
  • worddigger
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @BecomingBane Hey...Soy is certainly a controversy... For certain conditions like breast issues, it causes concern because of the estrogen like properties in it... For thyroid issues, it's known to interfere with function and absorption of thyroid meds... And then there's the GMO thing...totally a personal choice, though, I use fermented soy like tempeh and occasionally eat tofu...but don't do soy isolates... Do you use soy?
  • pvn23
    pvn23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you seen what stores have to offer? And if you don't like it, it's a matter of returning at the store (easy).
    Walmart has plenty to offer at very good prices.

No.

I'd suggest Optimum Nutrition.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    worddigger wrote: »
    @BecomingBane Hey...Soy is certainly a controversy... For certain conditions like breast issues, it causes concern because of the estrogen like properties in it... For thyroid issues, it's known to interfere with function and absorption of thyroid meds... And then there's the GMO thing...totally a personal choice, though, I use fermented soy like tempeh and occasionally eat tofu...but don't do soy isolates... Do you use soy?

Constantly. Science has soundly debunked the phytoestrogen/male hormone issue time and time again and proven it safe. I consume a massive amount of tofu and my protein powders all contain soy (a blend of soy, hemp. All of my blood tests continually come back optimal, my hormone levels including t levels are outstanding, etc.

I'm a vegan bodybuilder and routinely consume over 200 grams of protein in a day. I see continued muscle growth, maintain body fat percentages, etc.

I'm not particularly worried about GMO issues, and definitely not giving any advice to people who are soy intolerant/allergic or have medical issues that soy interferes with.
  • worddigger
    Options
    @BecomingBane
    I agree with you, my friend...for me, moderate intake of soy works great and the GMO thing, well, yeah, I am also not worried about it. We are all unique in our constitutions and I am happy to hear you found a good protocol to live by and are experiencing such awesome results with it! I am just finding out what works for me now, being newly diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, blah, blah, blah... All in good time, gotta start somewhere...
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    worddigger wrote: »
    @BecomingBane
    I agree with you, my friend...for me, moderate intake of soy works great and the GMO thing, well, yeah, I am also not worried about it. We are all unique in our constitutions and I am happy to hear you found a good protocol to live by and are experiencing such awesome results with it! I am just finding out what works for me now, being newly diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, blah, blah, blah... All in good time, gotta start somewhere...

I can't even imagine living with something like that. The fact that you're taking control of yourself and your illness is admirable. Best of luck to you, but you sound like you've got this!
  • worddigger
    Options
    @BecomingBane
    Yeah, I couldn't have imagined living with it either...but we find strength we didn't realize we had sometimes...hey, I'm grateful for that diagnosis, it can always be worse! Thanks so much, wish you the same...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I heard a home renovation expert say you can have two of the three; cheap, beautiful, or fast. But not all three.

When it comes to a protein shake, I suggest you can have two of the three; cheap, clean, or no-soy. But not all three.
    • Vega One is clean and no-soy. It uses spirulina I believe, one of the most expensive proteins you can find.
    • An egg, banana, milk and milk powder would be cheap and no-soy but it might not meet your definition of "clean" depending on how you view eggs, milk, and bananas.
    • There are plenty of good whey based formulations out there. Cheap and easy to find.
  • jaydros
    jaydros Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mariak16 wrote: »
    I've been using Vega and I really like it. It's made from whole food ingredients and uses plant proteins instead of whey. It also has lots of fiber, which is a big plus.

I use vega also, 2 scoops with 1/2 cup oatmeal and a tbsp macadamian nut oil and sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon hits all my macros for how I break down my meals
  • basmith0702
    basmith0702 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use Arbonne Chocolate...if you use it straight with water, you use two scoops. Since I use it as an additive to my smoothies, I only use one so it last a lot longer :) Not cheap, but a great product amazon.com/Arbonne-Essentials-Chocolate-Protein-Servings/dp/B004L3L4S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452305553&sr=8-1&keywords=arbonne+chocolate+shake
  • MichelleS08
    MichelleS08 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use arbonne as well. Vegan, gluten free. Full of vitamins
    http://www.michellestrattonleduc.arbonne.com