Shin splints.... Ouch!!!

Options
So I finally decided to get my big butt moving....
Just started back this week, started off just walking & my shins are hurting. Ugh!!!!

Kinda frustrating since I finally decided to get going ....

Any help on how to prevent these, what to do, etc, etc,
All advice is appreciated!
Thanks!!

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Odds are it is DOMS (what people call shin splints could be any number of things, delayed onset muscle soreness is one of them). Take it easy for the next day or two and then continue the walking. Don't go too crazy with the distances, just increase weekly distance totals slowly. The pain should subside within the week or so. Stretching, massage, and foam rolling can help.

If you take an entire week off and then try walking again you are likely to trigger the DOMS again. This is what happened to me in 2014. I was playing Ultimate 1x/week and the pain would kick in 1 day later and last all week, only to be triggered the following week when I ran again so my legs hurt all summer long. February 2015 I started lifting 3x/week and now running 1x/week doesn't trigger DOMS for me and my shins are fine with no other changes (in fact, I gained weight between 2014 and when I started Ultimate in 2015).

If the pain doesn't subside in a week or so then it is probably something besides DOMS. Take a longer break and then build your walking distance more slowly. I know they suggest more supportive shoes for runners, I don't know if the same applies to walking.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I agree with nordlead, rest a bit and see if it helps, then build your mileage slowly. When you start back up, try wearing compression sleeves while you're walking. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Zensah-Calf-Splint-Compression-Sleeve/dp/B005LZVM2Y They offer a little extra support and might help you out. I used them when training for a half marathon last year dealing with shin splint issues.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    I agree with nordlead, rest a bit and see if it helps, then build your mileage slowly. When you start back up, try wearing compression sleeves while you're walking. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Zensah-Calf-Splint-Compression-Sleeve/dp/B005LZVM2Y They offer a little extra support and might help you out. I used them when training for a half marathon last year dealing with shin splint issues.

I definitely agree. Compression sleeves helped decrease my shin splints too. I also used a foam roller which helped (hurt like h*ll when I was doing it, but felt better the next day).

Once you're rested, ease back into it. Maybe google a walking plan for beginning walkers to help increase your mileage. Don't be discouraged, shin splints/DOMS happens to many of us!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I was in my youth, and got "shin splints", I just ran through them and in a week or two they went away. It was always at the beginning of my running time, if I'd taken a month off. If it hadn't have gotten better I would have seen a doctor. They were very painful but did go away about a quarter into my run.
  • Andreab10
    Andreab10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thank you all for the help, it's appreciated!! :)
  • priscillabecho
    priscillabecho Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be the shoes you're wearing. If they're really old and used up, you may need to get another pair. Try looking for running shoes instead of training (cause those are mainly used for strength training like squats, lunges, etc.)
  • Andreab10
    Options
    Good idea....Thanks!!
    My shoes could use an upgrade
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I got shin splints when I started walking a lot. There were some stretches that helped me. I haven't had any for about a year now.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Increasing mileage too fast, combined with inadequate shoes for the task, contributed to the last case of shin splits I had.
  • ScottGreece
    ScottGreece Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints for 20 years til my Greek fitness trainer showed me one simple stretch I do 3X a week. Just sit on your shoes, with your legs bent underneath you with your butt resting on the heels of your shoe. Looks like you are praying or doing a yoga relax pose.. After a week of that, no shin splints for 2 years now.. Good luck
  • jimmyp2015
    jimmyp2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had shin splits last year for a good couple of months, which was killer as I play football every weekend, it came on due to my increase of weight, was weight training 2x aday with no cardio and when I attempted to run or jog it would flare up, I used the bike in the gym every day 20/30mins and took 3weeks off football and splints passed
  • Andreab10
    Options
    Glad to hear it got better for you! Thanks for responding!
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ugh they are the worst!!! Stretching is the best thing to do! One of my fave is to sit on the floor with your back against the wall and your legs straight out and your toes pointing up.
    So simple. I do that, and other stretching before and after workouts!
  • Big_Jim_86
    Big_Jim_86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints if I am heel striking during my stride, when I actively try to land on the center of my foot, walking or jogging, the shin splints are greatly reduced.
  • tomy2tone01
    tomy2tone01 Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Since we are on the subject. I do 5 sometimes 6 days per week on a Woodway Treadmill at Snapfitness. If you are not familiar with a woodway, the tread is not like any belt treadmill. I walk 6 miles per day. I also work at Target part time. My fitbit shows I walk 135,000 steps per week.
    I just replaced my shoes after noticing shines were burning. I have 2 new pairs. Not the same as I had before. Friday and Saturday was not good. Normally I can do an incline of 4 percent at 4 mph no problem 6 miles done. I am not a rookie at this i have worn out many pairs of shoes. I average 2 to 3 pairs per year.....
    Today I struggled to get to 2 miles not the new shoes.

Any ideas? I am very motivated need to get back on track...

Thanks