Fat loss Not weight loss

Options
Hey I see so much info on weight loss when it's more fat loss I am after.
I'm 6ft tall male early 30s and weigh 90-95kg.
I gave away smoking 30 months ago and my weight hasn't changed.
Due to an increased appetite I have gone from 1XL to 3XL clothes.
I would prefer to maintain my weight but get rid of the extra fat on my belly and man boobs.
Can some one give me some advice on what diet is for me?
Is there a App out there that would suit my personal goals better?

Replies

• sarab260
    sarab260 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I'm interested in this as well!
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's easier to reduce fat through weight reduction and then bulk later on. What you're looking to do, body recomp, takes a long time.

But, if that's really what you want to do and you don't mind waiting possible years, all you need to do is eat at maintenance and continue to resistance train.

Or you could try caloric cycling, where you eat 500 calories more on training days, and a deficit on non training days so that your weekly average calories balance out. Even then, this still takes a long time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    MFP would work fine for you. If your weight has stayed the same and you have gotten fatter as you describe, the only way to deal with it is a calorie deficit to get rid of the fat. The problem is, with what happened to you, it would pretty much mean you must have lots muscle mass as you could not a put on fat mass and stayed the same weight overall if your lean mass stayed the same. I would suggest a small calorie deficit of no more than 500 calories a day, carefully logging what you eat using a digital kitchen scale for all solids and anything else you have weight in grams for, and measuring spoons and cups for liquids. Combine all that with a good progressing weight lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 to start. You need to maintain what muscle you have and the weights will help that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat but not weight, you need to eat at maintenance, lift heavy, and get plenty of protein. It will take a while. It might be faster to reconcile yourself to first losing weight and fat (eat at a deficit, lift, and get plenty of protein) and then add weight back in the form of muscle (eat at a surplus, lift, and get plenty of protein).

Plenty of people have success using MFP with a goal of losing fat.

There is no diet that will by itself (that is, without exercise) magically transform your fat into lean body mass (that is, allow you to maintain the same weight but lose fat).

Did you also become much less active when you gave up smoking, because otherwise maintaining the same weight and going up two sizes doesn't make a lot of sense?
  • fitz185
    fitz185 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks this has been very helpful I guess I'll have to be a little harsher on my diet to start with and try to find a way of getting exersize
  • fitz185
    Options

There is no diet that will by itself (that is, without exercise) magically transform your fat into lean body mass (that is, allow you to maintain the same weight but lose fat).

Did you also become much less active when you gave up smoking, because otherwise maintaining the same weight and going up two sizes doesn't make a lot of sense?

When I have up smoking it was also when I rejoined the work force. I wasn't any more or less active, but I work 70 to 80hrs 5to6 days a week. I need 110% concentration for work but very little physical active.. I don't exercise as I am too fatigue out of work and need to recover for work.

My old diet on a work day consisted of
    3 to 4 strong coffees with 1 sugar between 3am and 10am
    Approximately 3 prices of fruit throughout the day
    At about 1pm Either 3 sandwitches
    or a xlarge garden salad + cold meat + pastasalad
    1L water
    Dinner after 7 was normally an xlarge meat and veg with a low carb beer.
    Would also snack on about 3 packs of sweet biscuits, 3 blocks of chocolate 1L juice and a litre of soft drink over a week.

About a week ago I changed my diet.
    I got rid of biscuits, soft drink, beer and chocolate. I only have 1 coffee a day
    I now have a rapid loss shake for breakfast and lunch.
    Snack on a peice of fruit
    Dinner I might have grilled fish and salad or a smaller serving of meat and veg.

My days intake is now 6to 7000kj

But saying that I have just had 3 weeks off work and will have to see how my diet goes with my working week

• fitz185
    Options
    Ohh and I also changed full cream to skim milk which is what I have with my shakes