Elliptical trainer discrepancies

Options
While working out at the gym the elliptical trainer I use says I have burned 600 calories in 40 minutes, but when I log 40 minutes in MFP it says 857 calories. Huge difference! I have been reducing minutes to get close to calories shown in gym, but then my exercise minutes are not correct. Anyone know why the huge difference and which one I should count as accurate?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    While working out at the gym the elliptical trainer I use says I have burned 600 calories in 40 minutes, but when I log 40 minutes in MFP it says 857 calories. Huge difference! I have been reducing minutes to get close to calories shown in gym, but then my exercise minutes are not correct. Anyone know why the huge difference and which one I should count as accurate?

You can override the amount in MFP put in your time and in the cals burned box, change the number
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    MFP is always around 100 calories more than what the ellipitical trainer says because it is what knows what speed and resistance I am at, I would love to know the answer though. Someone told me that the machines are always "off" but since you need to eat back your calories and the machine does know my age and weight I gotta go by something. Love to know the "right" answer though
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would love to know the answer as well!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I would go by what the machine says, the only way to know for sure is using a HRM
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for the most accurate heart rate readings I suggest getting a HRM. How many calories you burn is dependent on your age, height, weight, etc... If you are really serious about weight loss and maximizing your weight loss, getting a HRM is the best thing you can do.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Probably because you can go at different speeds and resistances on the eliptical...
  • chroi23
    chroi23 Posts: 27
    Options
    bump

i'd like to know as well
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Only way to be 100% sure is to get an HRM. I did a 30 min(33 with cool-down) interval program on the elliptical and with a "walk level" of 1 and "sprint level" of 10-12, I burned 418 calories. So while 800 in 40 does sound a bit high and 600 a bit more reasonable, I'd just log them and not eat them all back.
  • maghix2003
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to track your heartrate. It depends if the machine you are using is tracking your heart rate during the entire workout. Everyone goes at different speeds and resistance, which in turn effects your heart rate. Buy a $40 dollar heart rate watch and this will help you get a more accurate reading.
  • panda_rocks
    panda_rocks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Probably because you can go at different speeds and resistances on the eliptical...

this.
  • lins_crafters
    Options
    The elliptical at the gym knows how much resistance was used and how much effort was put forth. However if you dont take the time to program the elliptical at the gym it doesnt know how much you weigh which is a major factor in how many calories are burned.

A heart rate monitor is the best way to go.
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The trainer I use asks for weight and age and monitors heart rate as long as I am holding on to the sensors. Which I do 98% of the time. So by the responses I would assume the trainer is more accurate?
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Any more thoughts on this?