Any Martial Artist out there?

Options
I recently got back into Taekwondo after a 30 year absence. That's my motivation for eating right, staying in shape, etc.

Any other Martial Artist out there?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Currently doing Pai Lum Kung Fu. I tried Teakwondo once. I used to study Isshin-Ryu and spent some time doing Tang Soo Do as well as a few others over the years.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I did a version of Kuk Sul Won for 10 years. It got tough over 50 though and I finally had to move on.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I take a tae kwon do class twice a week. I started last September and just earned my yellow belt, so I'm not sure I would count myself as a "martial artist" just yet, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I prefer "combat sports" as a term, but yeah, I dabble in BJJ and I'm thinking about picking up krav maga or something similar.
  • DavidBB2018
    DavidBB2018 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @dewd2 I studied Tang Soo Do first, stopped short of my black belt (2nd gup) 30 years, ago. @utahmomof10 I just got my yellow belt a few weeks back. I started over, Taekwondo is slightly different than Tang Soo Do, I'd say you are a Martial Artist already! Keep it up!
  • DavidBB2018
    Options
    For me Taekwondo has become a huge motivation for eating right, stretching, exercising on non class days, etc. I actually hate working out! But love Teakwondo. It works it's way into my whole life.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    BJJ, "hobbyist" - for fun, exercise, etc.
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wingtsun here and sometimes a bit of Escrima, but the latter is just for fun.

WT is the best motivation I ever had, it even got me to start running, which nothing before ever could ;-). By now I learned to enjoy it as well.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Mma with an emphasis on bjj.. just earned a green belt in mma only white in bjj tho
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Not a martial artist by any stretch of the imagination but started Krav Maga about 4 months ago.
  • macrawford251
    macrawford251 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    BJJ, Pure Boxing, Muay Thai, MMA
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    @utahmomof10 I just got my yellow belt a few weeks back. I started over, Taekwondo is slightly different than Tang Soo Do, I'd say you are a Martial Artist already! Keep it up!

Thanks, @DavidBB2018. Three of my sons (ages 16, 13, and 6) do TKD, too, but have been doing it longer. My older sons advanced rank the same time as I did - the 13-y/o to blue stripe and the 16-y/o to solid green. I am a teaching assistant for my 6-y/o's class. It's fun doing it with all of them.

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    krav maga
  • DavidBB2018
    Options
    @utahmomof10 , that's great to hear your sons are doing it as well. That had a pretty big influence on my life as a teenager growing up in Boston. Returning after these many years has been a great experience, wish I never left. I've been blogging about it if you are interested in checking that out. The blog is just a way for me to personally document my progress.

Keep it up!
  • bekafullofjoy
    bekafullofjoy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do martial arts! I do gumdo (Korean art of the sword) and Tae Kwon do. When I started gumdo I hadn't done any regular exercise for years and was terribly out of shape and somewhat overweight. The first few classes were so hard but I fell in love immediately and it inspired me to start working out regularly so that I can improve as much as possible.
  • fitnforward
    fitnforward Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started Kenpo Karate October 21 at age 52. I love it so far! I will be testing for Yellow Belt in a couple of weeks. I also like Kickboxing and Strength Training. Feeling so much better mentally and physically.
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    @DavidBB2018 - That's awesome that you've come back. There are a couple of people in our classes that have done the same thing, including one of the black belt instructors. Now his wife is almost a black belt, and his 12-y/o son just advanced to blue stripe as well.

@fitnforward - Good for you! I started this last fall right before my 41st birthday. I'm by far the oldest student in the class, and I'm also older than 2 of the black belt instructors. The head instructor, though, is almost 60 and in amazing shape.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai kickboxing.

I did a little tkd, but mtk called more.
  • romeo9188
    romeo9188 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I've been fighting for last 4 years in muay thai but moving accross to straight boxing as I will need a knee rebuild soon

2ptq5uh.jpg
  • romeo9188
    romeo9188 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    28rjm87.jpg