should you run until you cant?

Options
When starting running/training for let's say a 5k or a marathon or so on, if you're an average joe/newbie, should you do something like C25K or should you follow the advice of some people who say to run until you puke/almost pass out/physically cannot go further?

I've heard so many different opinions about this lol. Personally I am going with C25K due to health issues, I can't push myself that hard I'd probably actually die LOL. Just curious what you guys think of like the "military style" of it vs. the controlled, at your pace type.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    NEVER run until you puke. There is no point in it and you will end up injured.

Run slowly. I mean really slowly and gradually add distance. Programs like C25K are great but sometimes even they push you faster than your body is ready.

I am training to run a marathon this year plus I have many other races (half marathon, a 10 miler, and several 10ks) scheduled for Spring. I do not plan to run until I can't and I will not be puking. :#
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Doing any exercises to nausea doesn't need to be the goal. Unless you're competing for time, you do what you can do. Yes you want to get better incrementally, but you don't need to kill yourself to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I really liked C25k, and part of the reason is that by following the program, it really helped me with pacing. If I just try the run until you can't method, I end up running way too fast and burning myself out quickly. With C25K, you know you're going to be out there for 20-30 mins (depending on the workout) and you know how many run/walk cycles you have, so it forced me to make sure I had something in the tank for the later runs. I think it is definitely more useful for getting your body used to the distance.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You might lose motivation to running if you drive yourself so hard you are going to puke :smile: Make it fun and you will eventually start running just to relax after work or school :smile:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hey, those two things aren't mutually exclusive. The only time I've ever worked myself to the point of collapse was during the first solid 20 minute run in c25k.

I learned my lesson, though, listen to your body no matter what the program says. If you don't meet your goal this run, you will do it next time.

If working out is tortuous and painful, you are much less likely to succeed long term.. I mean seriously why would you do that to yourself repeatedly on purpose!? I don't know where you got that advice from, it seems very extreme to me.
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not thinking about taking part in almost-dying as a training technique lol. I was just seeing what everyone else said about it. :)

Mostly older people or all trying to be hardcore guys saying to "tough it out" and if you puke then that's not the worst and so on. Um.. yeah... no... Lol, no way I'm going to push myself like that. Maybe until I'm out of breath and in the fetal position but not to a fainting/puking/blacking out point, nope nope.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Nope - 20 minute Sprint 8 program is all you need. :) Forget marathons.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    People who say to run until you puke usually aren't very good at running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running improvement is about consistency and controlled progression. As a new runner pushing yourself to breaking doesn't support either of those.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    myssjaxson wrote: »
    When starting running/training for let's say a 5k or a marathon or so on, if you're an average joe/newbie, should you do something like C25K or should you follow the advice of some people who say to run until you puke/almost pass out/physically cannot go further?

I've heard so many different opinions about this lol. Personally I am going with C25K due to health issues, I can't push myself that hard I'd probably actually die LOL. Just curious what you guys think of like the "military style" of it vs. the controlled, at your pace type.

This is like asking, "To lose weight, should I do it slowly and reasonably, or should I just starve the weight off?" Of course you should do something that slowly introduces running, which is why C25K is an ideal program, rather than run until you throw up or pass out. Stick with the C25K. You'll learn to run, learn to enjoy running, and -- hopefully! -- you won't wind up with injuries.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    myssjaxson wrote: »

I have run for years because it's easy, cheap and effective. However, I don't really LOVE running. If my goal was to run until I felt sick or pain, I'd never go for another run. So, the masochists might like your proposal, but I'd hate it.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If I pushed things to the max every workout, I would very soon end up with an injury that took me out of things for a while. Been there, done that, don't want to repeat.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Anytime I have pushed too hard too fast with running, I have been sidelined. Follow the program, listen to your body.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If I'm pushed too hard until I get sick most likely I won't do it again. I like high intensity but efficient workouts that will keep me coming back for more.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    No. Just...no.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, you should not. You'll leave yourself open to illness and injury.

C25k is a good program. Follow it, ease into it, if you need to repeat days, then do so. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Generally a bad idea to do anything until you physically can't.

mWpqCW1.jpg
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have you been hearing this from people on the internet? Pfaugh. The internet is a place where everyone benches 400 pounds. Keyboard warriors who tell you to run until you collapse/puke/pass out are probably typing that with Cheetos dust on their fingers and trying to look like badasses. In the unlikely event that they're actually doing that sort of thing themselves, you can point and laugh at them when they get sidelined with game-ending injuries and you're still cruising your way to an easy 5K run.

Or you can find out where they run and take pictures of them passed out head-first in the gutter with their headphones trailing out into the street and a corgi peeing on them. Then post it here, because that would be hilarious.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    That sounds horrible. Plus I'd be far from home and like...what to do? Now I have to walk back feeling pukey.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ugh, why can't I delete double posts?