250 calorie meal ideas?

Options
So I've determined that in order for me to lose weight 1200-1500 calories either makes me maintain or gain. I have hypothyroidism, so my metabolism sucks.

Looks like in order for me to lose weight I need to keep it around 1000-1100 cal/day. (These are non-exercise days).

Any 250 calorie meal ideas that are fast but tasty?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast or fish, brown rice, and all the veggies you can eat. Add whatever seasonings you want i like to use low sodium broths to make a sauce to pour over my rice. filling and so low in calories.
  • bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • littlebones14
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes are quick and easy (albeit expensive, Muscle Milk cookies 'n creme is delicious though), as a replacement for them you could use a regular whey protein with some fibre (which you can buy pretty cheap, slows digestions and increases satiety). A salad with some chicken breast and a low-fat dressing is always a winner as well. One of my favourite easy snacks is cut up veggies and hummus (talk about low calories!). Ideas are endless really.
  • DenUil
    DenUil Posts: 6
    Options
    Soup!
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary and add me if you'd like. I've had some meals in the 200 to 300 calorie range in the last few days.
  • pumina
    pumina Posts: 13
    Options
    I make this any night when I am short on calories but still want a filling dinner. Egg Drop Soup

4 cups of water
    4 tsp of chicken boullion (I think mine is Knorr - the powder kind)
    (I find water + boullion tastier than just 4 cups of chicken broth)
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp of white or black pepper (or as much as you like)
    cook till boiling
    Once it's boiling, add 2 TBSP of corn starch (that you have to mix in water to make it a slurry)
    let it cook for about 30 seconds and thicken a little.
    Beat an egg (or use only the white if you're really low on calories) and stir it in with a fork or wisk to make the strands that you see in the soup.

The whole thing takes less than 2-3 minutes to make..I just tried to write it out step by step so you knew how I did it. I like spicy so I add hot sauce to it but it's tasty as is too. Good luck!
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    24 Blue Diamond Almonds (Sea Salt/Roasted)
    Small Apple

= roughly 235 calories and its quick!

If you sub out vinegar or squeeze of lemon juice for dressing- you should be able to make up some yummy veggie heavy salads with protein of your choice. All veggies are very low cal and are great for filling up with out going over your limit.

Best wishes.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I am finding that I need something more like 25o cal/meal max too. But I have also heard that if you do around 5 sml meals (like this)/ day then it speeds up your metabolism.
    My goal right now is to get more into the 5/day but I find that I keep forgetting to eat less @ once and eat frequently.

Def bumping this for later!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say vegetarian meals would be a GREAT way to go! I'm not a vegetarian but I sure do implement the meals into our weekly dinners.

You can get so much and do so much to your liking.

For instance last week I made portabella mushroom sandwiches in the skillet and topped with roast red pepper. You could add cheese and bun depending on how much of those you want or what kind. The portabella's were so filling!!! I added a side salad too! :happy:

You could also implement stuffed peppers, roasted veggies, etc. When I want a light meal, I always "beef" up my veggies and make them more of a main course and add a salad.

I'd also recommend checking out www.eatingwell.com - I use this website weekly for recipe ideas based on food/calories/etc. They have so many categories and ideas!

:flowerforyou:
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I make this any night when I am short on calories but still want a filling dinner. Egg Drop Soup

4 cups of water
    4 tsp of chicken boullion (I think mine is Knorr - the powder kind)
    (I find water + boullion tastier than just 4 cups of chicken broth)
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp of white or black pepper (or as much as you like)
    cook till boiling
    Once it's boiling, add 2 TBSP of corn starch (that you have to mix in water to make it a slurry)
    let it cook for about 30 seconds and thicken a little.
    Beat an egg (or use only the white if you're really low on calories) and stir it in with a fork or wisk to make the strands that you see in the soup.

The whole thing takes less than 2-3 minutes to make..I just tried to write it out step by step so you knew how I did it. I like spicy so I add hot sauce to it but it's tasty as is too. Good luck!

Oh my gosh I keep forgetting to look up recipes for this soup! It is one of my absolute favs when I go out for chinese! I always contemplate how they get the egg so thin and now I feel so dumb for not guessing that you just wisk it in. hahahaa
    Thank you!
  • hunny1978
    hunny1978 Posts: 16
    Options
    bump
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    Hi! I am the newb on the block, but I specialize in 200-300 calorie meals, so thought I would share one of my favorites (also very easy!)

Turkey (or any deli meat) Wrap:

Avocados, California (Haas), 1 oz, 50 Calories

Deli Turkey Breast, 4-6 slices, 65 calories

Lettuce, tomato, approx 1/2 cup chopped, 25 calories

La Tortilla Factory - Low Carb Tortilla 80 calories

Laughing Cow Light (any flavor) wedge 30 calories (I really love these! They are great on Wasa Crackers and celery!)

TOTAL Calories: 250
  • bf2009
    bf2009 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am extremely new to this but I just made something last night that I have to share....Rosemary & Garlic Simmered Pork chops. I got the recipe of Allrecipes.com. It is so easy and it tastes fantastic! I modified it to reduce calories but essentially it's as follows:

2 teaspoons dried rosemary - I used fresh instead
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt - I used a pinch, trying to watch my sodium
    2 tablespoons butter - which is a NO for me so I used the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray
    Pork chop - center cut pork loin, trimmed of fat (I used thin and bone-in & cut the ounces down from 6 to 4 oz).
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped or minced
    1 cup of low sodium beef broth

Combine rosemary, salt & pepper in a bowl and rub on pork chops
    Stir garlic into butter spray over medium heat
    Place chops in skillet and cook around 3-5 minutes on each side to brown (time depends on chop thickness)
    Turn down heat to low and add beef broth and simmer for 35-40 mins. Again time depends on chop thickness.

With these modification my chop (1) came out to 168 calories. I added some veggies and yummy! While I was on the treadmill for the 35-40 mins of simmeriing time the smell was driving me crazy and the taste was awesome!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,279 Member
    Options
    My vegetarian chili, yum,
    Keri’s Vegetarian Chili
    Canned - Black Beans, 1 container (1 4/5 cup or 129gs ea.)
    Garbanzo Beans Canned, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Pinto Beans 15 oz, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Rotel - Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)
    Giant - Tomatoes – diced or whole, Canned, 1 container (3 3/10 cups ea.)
    Aldi - Baby Carrots, 14 carrots
    Fresh Produce - Zucchini, 1 small (118g)
    Generic - Onion,Raw,Chopped, 1 cup (160g)
    Fresh - Yellow Bell Pepper, 1 cup
    Generic - Garlic Raw Clove, 1 raw clove (3g)
    Mccormick - Chili Powder, 5 tsp (0.5g)
    La Costena - Chipolte Peppers In Adobo Sauce, 1 Pepper
    This makes enough for 2 meals for a family of 4 so About 150 to 200 calories a serving. We have it with corn bread though.