Exercises for hip replacements

Options
I had a left hip replacement about a year ago and I am wondering what strength exercise are good for the lower body? I know that I am not supposed to do squats anymore. I also wonder if there are other exercises that I can do besides walking which will not cause wear and tear on my hip replacement. Thanks for your help

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had a left hip replacement about a year ago and I am wondering what strength exercise are good for the lower body? I know that I am not supposed to do squats anymore. I also wonder if there are other exercises that I can do besides walking which will not cause wear and tear on my hip replacement. Thanks for your help

This something you need to ask your doctor or physical therapist.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Follow your doctor's advice, but you should be fine to deadlift.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    swimming but front and back crawl-not breast-stroke
  • Bostongirla
    Bostongirla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your surgeon for advice. There are certain precautions and body positions you have to keep in mind. I'm only 6 weeks post op and my Dr. wants me to walk, walk, walk! And keep up with physical therapy exercises. He said swimming is ok just no frog kicks (no breast stroke) At 1 year I'm sure there is a lot more you can do. Best wishes to you!
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 42 and had a double hip replacement 5 years ago. I have an amazing surgeon who works with me rather than confining my progress.

Post op I swam and walked, got to the point where I was swimming regular 5k at the pool. I had to teach myself front crawl and stopped doing breaststroke. Now I mainly do crawl and a bit of breaststroke but listen to my body about how much I can do.

Walking is now turning into running, I've signed up for a 10k run this year which has given me a new goal.

I also walk I have climbed up Snowdon and helvellyn and this year aim to do scafell pike.

I've found that all advice on post op recovery is aimed at a much older age group which is why I go with my consultants opinion, he's amazing and says to me to do what I feel comfortable with rather than having a list of things I will not do.

Feel free to add me as there are very few people about who are in our position and understand the difficulties we face.

Melly Xxx