Goals and macros

Options
Okay I need to work out my macros

I want to lose fat, on my stomach and sides, I'm athletic built and have started training again after Christmas break

I train weights high intensity 5 times per week and do cardio interval also 5 times

I need to work or the best macro split up lose fat whilst also keeping muscle mass

I'm 116kgs and have been hitting under 2000 calories this week

I using have oatmeal in the morning 90g cup and then have hardly any More carbs just protein and fat

My carb intake has been between 50-85g per day ... This is a huge drop compared to what I usually eat... Should this be sufficient to lose

Cheers

Replies

• Danny140492
    Danny140492 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    By the way I'm 6ft 5 missed that out
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Reducing "carbs" is not what is going to drop the weight.
    Lowered calories is the key to weight loss. <3
    In order to lower calories of course, something needs to be cut and some people choose to lower their carbs so they can eat fat and protein.

How do you feel on the 50-85 per day? If it is a little hard, consider increasing them a little and lowering fat a little.
  • Danny140492
    Options

I want to lose fat, on my stomach and sides, I'm athletic built and have started training again after Christmas break

I train weights high intensity 5 times per week and do cardio interval also 5 times

I need to work or the best macro split up lose fat whilst also keeping muscle mass

I using have oatmeal in the morning 90g cup and then have hardly any More carbs just protein and fat

My carb intake has been between 50-85g per day ... This is a huge drop compared to what I usually eat... Should this be sufficient to lose

Cheers
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Reducing "carbs" is not what is going to drop the pounds.
    Lowered calories is the key to weight loss. <3
    In order to lower calories of course, something needs to be cut and some people choose to lower their carbs so they can eat fat and protein.

How do you feel on the 50-85 per day? If it is a little hard, consider increasing them a little and lowering fat a little.

Of course reducing carbs will help drop weight...
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Cheers

It doesn’t matter how “healthy” or how “clean” you eat – go overboard on total calories and you aren’t going to lose an ounce of fat, period.

If you really want to strip off around 1-2 pounds of body fat every single week (this is the general pace I recommend most people go at) you must have a properly structured cutting diet in place that allows you to maintain a net calorie deficit over time from a well-balanced combination of high quality protein, carbs and fats.

Otherwise, you’ll be completely wasting your time and effort altogether.

Keep in mind that everyone’s body is slightly different and will respond in varying ways to different macronutrient breakdowns. For that reason, it’s just not possible to say with certainty what the absolute “best” fat loss macro ratio will be for every person out there in every situation. Some people may respond better to slightly higher or lower carbs or varying intakes of fat, and the only way to know for sure is to experiment for yourself once you put your fat burning diet into action.

However, our bodies are still far more similar than they are different, and for the average person out there who is just trying to get lean while maintaining muscle mass, this basic cutting macros should work very well.

Calories: 500 below maintenance.
    Protein: 1 gram per pound of body weight daily.
    Fats: 25% of total calories.
    Carbohydrates: Whatever calories remain after protein/fat is calculated.

These particular macros for fat loss will provide you 1) a calorie deficit that is large enough to stimulate significant fat loss, but small enough to keep lean muscle intact, control appetite and maintain high energy levels. 2) Sufficient protein to maximize muscle recovery and lean mass retention. 3) Enough carbohydrates and fats to keep mood and hormone balance in check, as well as to keep training performance near its peak.

Proper calorie intake forms the underlying foundation of your entire cutting diet and is by far the most important factor to take into account.

In order to lose fat consistently, you must create an ongoing “calorie deficit” by burning more calories than you consume. This stimulates your body to tap into its excess fat stores in order to obtain a source of energy. Maintaining a net calorie deficit is the fundamental premise behind the entire fat burning process.

No single set of calculations is perfect, and configuring your daily calorie intake for fat loss will always be an “educated guessing game” at the start. This is because it’s just not possible to know for sure what any given individual’s calorie needs will be due to differences in resting metabolic rate, activity level, hormone balance and other smaller factors.

Your basic goal should be to land in a caloric range that has you consistently losing between 1-2 pounds per week (if you’re significantly over weight then 3-4 pounds per week is acceptable), and the basic approach will be to employ a “starting point” calorie level and then adjust it up or down if necessary depending on how your body weight changes.
  • Danny140492
    Options
    elite_nal wrote: »

Cheers

It doesn’t matter how “healthy” or how “clean” you eat – go overboard on total calories and you aren’t going to lose an ounce of fat, period.

If you really want to strip off around 1-2 pounds of body fat every single week (this is the general pace I recommend most people go at) you must have a properly structured cutting diet in place that allows you to maintain a net calorie deficit over time from a well-balanced combination of high quality protein, carbs and fats.

Otherwise, you’ll be completely wasting your time and effort altogether.

Keep in mind that everyone’s body is slightly different and will respond in varying ways to different macronutrient breakdowns. For that reason, it’s just not possible to say with certainty what the absolute “best” fat loss macro ratio will be for every person out there in every situation. Some people may respond better to slightly higher or lower carbs or varying intakes of fat, and the only way to know for sure is to experiment for yourself once you put your fat burning diet into action.

However, our bodies are still far more similar than they are different, and for the average person out there who is just trying to get lean while maintaining muscle mass, this basic cutting macros should work very well.

Calories: 500 below maintenance.
    Protein: 1 gram per pound of body weight daily.
    Fats: 25% of total calories.
    Carbohydrates: Whatever calories remain after protein/fat is calculated.

These particular macros for fat loss will provide you 1) a calorie deficit that is large enough to stimulate significant fat loss, but small enough to keep lean muscle intact, control appetite and maintain high energy levels. 2) Sufficient protein to maximize muscle recovery and lean mass retention. 3) Enough carbohydrates and fats to keep mood and hormone balance in check, as well as to keep training performance near its peak.

Proper calorie intake forms the underlying foundation of your entire cutting diet and is by far the most important factor to take into account.

In order to lose fat consistently, you must create an ongoing “calorie deficit” by burning more calories than you consume. This stimulates your body to tap into its excess fat stores in order to obtain a source of energy. Maintaining a net calorie deficit is the fundamental premise behind the entire fat burning process.

No single set of calculations is perfect, and configuring your daily calorie intake for fat loss will always be an “educated guessing game” at the start. This is because it’s just not possible to know for sure what any given individual’s calorie needs will be due to differences in resting metabolic rate, activity level, hormone balance and other smaller factors.

Your basic goal should be to land in a caloric range that has you consistently losing between 1-2 pounds per week (if you’re significantly over weight then 3-4 pounds per week is acceptable), and the basic approach will be to employ a “starting point” calorie level and then adjust it up or down if necessary depending on how your body weight changes.

Yeah I'm 250lbs hence why I've been generally hitting 250g protein daily, my maintenance calories sit at 3000 I'm hitting 2000 daily now, I train hard and eat well I'm sure I'll be fine

Cheers all
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Protein should never be calculated based on total body weight, but rather by LEAN BODY MASS. Protein is not needed to maintain fat. Look for calculators based on LBM.