Flaxseed Warning Label

Options
On my container of whole flaxseeds, there's a warning that daily intake should not exceed 1-2 tablespoons and I'm curious what the reason for that limit is. Do they contain some kind of compound that one could overdose on? I know the presence of cyanide is always a possibility for many seeds. Or, would eating more than that amount simply lead to digestive distress due to the fiber?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I wonder what your objectives are from using flex seeds? It's a supplement not a meal replacement. I was advised in the use of mine. 15 g apx 3 tea spoon or 1 desert spoon is probably more than enough for most people.
  • BerttiBott
    BerttiBott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not a meal replacement...who in their right would pour themselves a bowl of flax seeds as a meal? I only use flax seeds in baking or as a garnish for salad or yogurt, so I would not be exceeding that amount, I was simply curious about their chemistry based on the package's statement.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Okay...so much for taking my time to do the research for someone...

OP...If you had of looked at the links that I provided you would have found the answers that you were searching for(pros and cons)...especially the second link.

• BerttiBott
    BerttiBott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes I saw your post, Annie, and thank you for the links because my search engine did not turn up those results. I was explaining the reason for my for this post to the user who clearly did not understand. There's no need to be upset.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when taken by mouth. Adding flaxseed to the diet might increase the number of bowel movements each day. It might also cause gastrointestinal (GI) side effects such as bloating, gas, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, stomachache, and nausea. Higher doses are likely to cause more GI side effects.

There is some concern that taking large amounts of flaxseed could block the intestines due to the bulk-forming laxative effects of flaxseed. Flaxseed should be taken with plenty of water to prevent this from happening.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Oh sheesh, I've only just been able to disconnect the thought of cricket bats (my brothers used linseed (flaxseed) oil on them) when I eat my seeds!. My brain doesn't have room for new information today.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Interesting!! Thanks for the info. I just started incorporating them into my diet. I put them in my overnight oats. But I can personally only use 1/2-1tbl MAX or my actual stomach will hurt until it moves on its way.