Addicted to Fast food - could use some advice

Options
johnguitarman
johnguitarman Posts: 56 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
How can I stop an addiction to fast food and junk food? I am currently in a struggle to lose weight but I am having trouble kicking my fast food habit. I also tend to eat larger portions. About 2 years ago I went from 285lb to 218lb using MFP but gained alot back and am now 268lbs. Im trying to regain my focus but this fast food addiction has me.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can still eat fast food and lose weight.
    Eat the fast food less often, get smaller portions, choose lower calorie items.
    (For example, get the cheese burger and skip the fries.)
    Once a week, add a new meal to your repertoire for at home cooking.
  • darth_desious
    darth_desious Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cafe steamers - healthy choice under 300 calories per meal and VERY filling
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Reduce your portions. Get the kids meals with a diet soda, prelog whatever you're considering ordering to see if you want to spend that many calories on whatever, if that makes it easier for you.

There's nothing addictive about fast food. Its components can purchased at any ordinary grocery store and the menu items can be recreated at home. If it's the convenience you find addidicting, smaller portions are just as convenient as larger portions.

You know what you're doing wrong: you're eating too much. Your portions are too large. Distracting yourself from the real issue with addiction-talk isn't going to help you problem-solve any faster. Good luck.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Don't go to fast food places. Change your route and go a different way. Order something else there - sub a salad for the fries. Pre-log your food for the day so you plan it all out to hit your goal and have to change your log if you eat more.

You may not be ready to lose weight yet. You have to want it more than you want a super sized portion.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One good way I noticed myself was to start drinking water before or after meal. I take one portion of food (300 grams) and after that drink water until I feel so full that I can't simply eat more without feeling nauseous. I'm usually drinking 5-8 dl of water after meal and it helps me to control binge eating. If you are eating hamburgers, eat one and leave fries away. If you want cookies, eat normal food first and then 1-2 cookies after drinking water. Choose smaller meals from lists wherever you go.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to fast food if you really like it, but try not to do it every day of the week. And maybe don't get all of your day's meals from a fast food place. You can plan ahead even 3-5 days of the week where you'll have a fast food item or many and make them fit your daily calorie goals. The other days of the week try to find some home-cooked meals or other healthier options that you'll LIKE just as much! Experiment with different foods and try to find something that really gets you going, it doesn't have to be less likable than fast food to you.

Some people even find that once you start eating less fast food (and for me it's def candy, chips etc), the less you find it appealing. Don't cut it out completely, but see if eating a lot less of it works for you!
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound silly at first but bare with me. Leave your money at home. I struggled / struggle with the same issue. I don't usually leave my house to buy fast food. I typically only buy it when I'm coming from or going some place. It may seem weird but think about it, what do you really need money for? Gas? Take exactly what it takes to fill your car & fill up in advance on specific days so you're never low. Toll booths? Keep exact change in your cup holder. Food? Bring a pre-packed lunch. Only bring money that has a purpose. Like, to buy groceries or to pay a bill. Never bring extra because 9 times out of 10 you'll spend it on fast food... That's speaking from experience. This isn't for everyone but for me, it's worked.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Figure out what it is about fast food that is so attractive to you - I can assure you that after a while of not eating it, it will NOT taste good anymore.

If convenience is what does it for you, try doing some meal prepping (grilled/baked meat, roasted/steamed veggies, rice, etc) or crock pot meals that will be ready upon your return from work.

Maybe it's just a habit! Habits are hard to break, but if weight loss is your goal, continuing to eat high calorie low nutrition foods is not going to help you.

As someone else said, you have to be ready to lose weight. Each time you go to a fast food restaurant, you make a conscious choice to do so. Change doesn't come without a challenge.

Sometimes it is easier to eliminate something from your diet altogether than to allow it in moderation. I personally have to avoid desserts/sweets or I can't get enough of them. I've been over a week without any sweets but fruit and I don't even crave dessert after dinner anymore.

And leaving your money at home is great advice!!! I do this as well!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook. I used to eat fast food all the time. Now it doesn't even appeal to me anymore because I can make something tastier and more filling for the calories.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've done it two ways. The first is to buy it, but cut out some of the calories by only eating half the fries, or tossing half the burger bun. Get a cheeseburger instead of a Big Mac.... Maybe get a kids meal and a side salad to fill me up. The second was to cut it out altogether. At first it's hard but the craving does go away. Then after I'm over the hump of not wanting it every single day, I would just go occasionally.

If you can't give it up altogether you're just going to have to figure out how to moderate it. That or make peace with the fact that a huge chunk of your calorie allotment is going to be spent on that one meal.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Reduce your portions. Get the kids meals with a diet soda, prelog whatever you're considering ordering to see if you want to spend that many calories on whatever, if that makes it easier for you.

There's nothing addictive about fast food. Its components can purchased at any ordinary grocery store and the menu items can be recreated at home. If it's the convenience you find addidicting, smaller portions are just as convenient as larger portions.

You know what you're doing wrong: you're eating too much. Your portions are too large. Distracting yourself from the real issue with addiction-talk isn't going to help you problem-solve any faster. Good luck.

This 100000%
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Try keeping premade meals in your fridge. I am always tempted to pickup fast food if there is nothing in my fridge reading to eat quickly. I usually keep taco shells or tortillas in the pantry and some type of filling in the fridge so that I can throw together my own version of fast food.

When I run out of these types of items is when I am tempted by quick and easy convenience foods and usually that means not eating to plan.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would focus first on smaller portions. I still eat ice cream, pasta, bacon, pizza etc. but less often and in smaller portions and fit it into my calories. Don't supersize on fast food when you're out. At home cook smaller portions but serve it on a smaller plate. This fools you into thinking there is more.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You were successful and lost a substantial amount of weight before. What is different now?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Try keeping premade meals in your fridge. I am always tempted to pickup fast food if there is nothing in my fridge reading to eat quickly. I usually keep taco shells or tortillas in the pantry and some type of filling in the fridge so that I can throw together my own version of fast food.

When I run out of these types of items is when I am tempted by quick and easy convenience foods and usually that means not eating to plan.

Yep. Make some leaner meat burger patties and put them in your fridge or freezer. Pre-cut some potatoes into fry shapes so you can just dump them on a baking sheet. Get 80-100 calorie buns, 2% cheese, etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How can I stop an addiction to fast food and junk food? I am currently in a struggle to lose weight but I am having trouble kicking my fast food habit. I also tend to eat larger portions. About 2 years ago I went from 285lb to 218lb using MFP but gained alot back and am now 268lbs. Im trying to regain my focus but this fast food addiction has me.

Don't go there as often. I eat fast food once a week or once a month. It saves money also.
    Pack food from home. Go to the grocery store instead.
    Plan ahead. Look up nutritional information and plan your meal. Choose items that fit your calorie goal. Pair a higher calorie item with a salad instead of fries. Drink unsweetened tea or water so you have more calories for food.
  • eliaus3640
    eliaus3640 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was the same way as you, I felt like it was an addiction to fast food. Now I can drive past fast food places and have no desire to eat at them(1.5 years after starting to eat healthier). But it took 6 months for the cravings to go away .Most likely there is a lot of little changes you can make that will help you be healthier. For me I had moved close to work and didn't have to drive by any fast food places. Maybe have a route where you don't drive by them because at first just the sight of them gives you the desire to eat there.

Here are other things I found helpful:
    -having convenient foods ready at home. It's better to make yourself but you can buy things to. Get things you will actually eat and at first they don't have to be the healthiest. As long as you break the association with leaving the house for food.

Always bring a snack and water with you when you go out . If you are hungry you will be more likely to be tempted.

That's what worked for me but evaluate your situation it may be different for you. I also started a lot heavier than you are currently.
  • cocoricocogirl
    cocoricocogirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cook it yourself. A home made burger can be healthy. I make my own bread, and that does make a difference. (Store bought bread is loaded with hidden sugar and fat)
    Same for fries, wash a bunch of potatoes, cut them in wedges, salt pepper, a tbsp of olive oil, above in the oven, there, you got delicious "healthy" fries.
    It's the same for everything. Do it yourself.
    I do not buy any processed *kitten* anymore, and it makes a difference. I lost almost 50 kilos, and I'm still losing.
    If you need cooking tips, you can ask me.