If you've never taken a group exercise class....

Options
I just wanted to share my story, because I'm sure there is someone out there like I was.

2 years ago, I was at my heaviest non-pregnant weight. I gained 70lbs with my pregnancies and was up to 243 with my first son. I started this journey 2 years ago when I signed up for the gym. I was 186 pounds. 5ft6. wore a 14/16. I had never EVER tried a group exercise class. When ever I would join a gym I'd go right for the treadmill and quickly walk on it while watching the t.v. I would always get bored doing this over and over and within a couple of months would fall off the wagon and stop going.

This time was different.

At 186 pounds I hopped on my first spin bike. About 15 minutes in, I thought I was going to puke and got off. I came in late, and had no one show me set up etc, so I just gave up...left....went back to my comfort zone, aka, the treadmill.
Well after much persuasion, I was begged to take another class with another instructor. Michael Jackson had just passed, and she did a MJ tribute ride. Beat It. Thriller. Billy Jean. It was AWESOME. And for the first time in my life......I FINISHED ONE HOUR OF SOLID EXERCISE! The music, the people, the calorie burn...I was hooked. I started taking other dance/aerobics classes..and even though I was heavier than many of them I quickly realized they were too busy watching themselves to watch me. LOL! I needed to add weight training, but was scared of the machines, so I started taking Body Pump and my body transformed. I'm now down to around 150---was down to 146 before I added the Pump muscle weight. I could have never stuck to it with out the variety, music, and people of the classes. I can honestly say I have met some of my best friends teaching/taking these classes...and now I'm an instructor too!!

So if you haven't given them a shot...go for it! You'll be glad you did! :-)

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Great story! I want arms like yours! :-)
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my story.....after 5 months at the gym I started Body Pump and always took it and then people were like come try the other classes and now with Pump, I take Combat, Attack, New Body....They are awesome and you meet so many people and realize that just b/c you are heavier does not mean you cannot keep up!!!!! I love the classes....they are amazing and fun!
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I am the same. I have no desire to work out on the floor. It's boring, and repetative. It works for so many people, don't get me wrong. But I am not one of them.
    Classes are fun! You work hard, I have never sweat so much in my life. But the music is good, the people are fun, and most of the intructers are passionate! It makes all the difference in the world :)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Love this, and I totally agree!

Spinning was the first class I tried at my gym.. it's still my go-to and my favorite class but I've since tried a lot of other things! I am amazed by how fast the time flies and I love being a part of a group! I'm almost at 40# down! *almost*

I really encourage others to just take the plunge and TRY IT! One thing I have learned over these months of working out hard, is that "no one gives a *kitten* what you look like, what you're wearing, what you're doing.." They are there for them and you should be there for you and not worry about what others "may think!"

=)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    good advice! so many people are concerned about what others think of their looks while at the gym...truth is, nobody cares, they're there for themselves!
  • GinaSmash
    GinaSmash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Awesome. This story is so familiar to me. Body Pump is such a motivator. I love it!!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Nice! I just workout at home i know when i first started i would of walked out of a group class. i might have to check one out. :0 How many children have you had and do you think you will have more?
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    Not only am I fluffy...ok fat...but I'm WAY non coordinated. I've never ever enjoyed dancing or aerobics type moves. It takes me forever to learn a new step and by the time I do we've moved on. I try doing DVD workouts because at least then I can do the same one over and over and try to learn it so I can burn something than spending time watching and trying to figure it out. No matter how many times I have tried I still have no idea how to do the grapevine...sad huh?! I will most likely NEVER take a group dance class....
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    LOVE my GroupX classes. Wish the schedule was more conducive to my being able to attend more. I got whenever I can, though. =)
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    Wow the timing for your post couldn't be better for me! How inspiring! I used to LOVE step aerobics (oh am I showing my age...) because it felt like dancing rather than exercise. I HATE anything that is just stationary that includes sweating. lol Love that you didn't give up and tried different things and found your passion. Thanks for sharing!
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Not only am I fluffy...ok fat...but I'm WAY non coordinated. I've never ever enjoyed dancing or aerobics type moves. It takes me forever to learn a new step and by the time I do we've moved on. I try doing DVD workouts because at least then I can do the same one over and over and try to learn it so I can burn something than spending time watching and trying to figure it out. No matter how many times I have tried I still have no idea how to do the grapevine...sad huh?! I will most likely NEVER take a group dance class....

Yeah, I tried Zumba and I'm CLEARLY entirely too much of a white girl for that. klutz+no rhythm=bad Zumba experience.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I totally agree with you and love my classes-spinning being my absolute addiction. Wish our body pump classes were at different times so I could take them but they conflict with kid schedules.
  • OrganicGal
    OrganicGal Posts: 15
    Options
    What an inspiration you are. Now you have something that most instructors don't have...empathy for your members/clients. Once you can "relate" to them and help them in their journey, the walls will come down. Being a child of a morbidly obese mother, and watching her "diet" year after year after year without any permanent changes, I know I can relate to many at the gym. I always make sure to smile at the "newbie" and introduce myself, or joke with them during a dance or Zumba class. Making them feel welcome and a part of the group. Too many times people forget the golden rule "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

My "change" moment came after a community theater production I was in. I saw my photos and was aghast at how I looked. After spiking to the highest weight I had ever been, I knew I needed a change. I made changes and dropped 30# over the course of nine months. Still not at my ultimate goal weight, but very happy at where I am.

I too hope to take what I have learned and pass it on to others and become an instructor. What an awesome thing to be able to say "I know what you feel"..."I've been there myself." Truly uplifting, encouraging, and an amazing "Aha" moment.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I started spinning class about 2 months ago and I am addicted now. I was always very scared to take a group class, but my boyfriend talked me into it and told me how much it would help my cycling. It is probably one of the best kick starts I have had in transforming my body. Now I need to work up the courage to take the kickboxing class.
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Gosh I absolutely LOVE Spin and Body Pump!! It's the ultimate funk-buster!! And thank YOU for people like you who teach them!! =) Great job!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Nobody is watching you fumble up in these classes. I wish more people realized the benefits of GF classes.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    there are sooooo many types of group exercise classes...they are not all dancey.....i was dying for a group groove type dance class with fun hiphop/pop/dance music....my gym finally got that kinda class set up and i took it....i hated it...i absolutely have no rhythm i guess...i just could not get a good burn on because i felt sooo stupid not being able to get the moves down...i also tried zumba a few times.....with both of those classes i actually left and went to the elliptical...i too skip step aerobics...I CAN NOT get the damn moves down to save my life....i will fall on my @ss tripping over the damn step lol.......BUT i do swear by my group power class with is a weight lifting class i take once a week...it makes me feel strong....i love that class and renewed my membership at my gym for 3 yrs just so i could keep taking it lol....my gym is very outdated but i love that class....since january i have been taking spin at least once a week and i love that too.......i tried spin a long time ago and hated it but now i love the way i feel while i'm doing the class....its a different kind of cardio that passes the time very quickly......i get a great burn and it's fun......i may try the dancey stuff again in the future but for now i'm very happy i have 2 classes i know i can count on to get my burn on :)

ps...when my gym or my Y sets up a kickboxing class i will try that again...i loved kickboxing back in the 90s and early 2000s lol....
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!! I am way too self-conscious to go to certain group classes. I go to several water aerobics classes a week, but most of the ladies in there are overweight. I am terrified to do Zumba in a class! I do that with the Wii in the comfort of my own living room. I hope as I lose more I will gain some confidence.
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also find working out on machines boring. I have always done group exercise. I will admit though, if the music sucked, I watched the clock. If the music, routine and most of all the instructor was fun and motivating, the time just flew.

I wanted to teach but was heavier than most of the instructors. But one day, I said to myself, 'I hear the beat of the music, I am fun and can certainly motivate, and I could figure out choreography'. I became an instructor 8 years ago and there isn't a week goes by that I am not having a blast in my class. I can have the worst of days and that all changes when the mic goes on and the beat flows thru my feet!!

I teach Step and LesMills BodyPump. My body has changed considerably since teaching BP. I knew there were muscles inside of me, they just had to be "cut like diamonds" LOL

Get out there and try a group ex class!! Maybe you have hit a plateau with your weight loss journey, this is the perfect reason to switch things UP!!
  • zojo78
    zojo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What do you do at a body pump class?
    I really want to add weights, but am also scared of the machines!! But my gym has body pump classes - I just wondered what they were?