Army Weight Loss

Options
Hey guys (and ladies)! I'm in an Army ROTC program. I'm training to commission as an officer. As many of you probably know, there is a weight & tape requirement that must be met.

Due to "unspoken" reasons, I've gained crazy weight. In my case, I have to lose 60 lbs by the first week of May. Of course, I know weight loss comes with healthy eating and exercise but I need more than the typical 1 pound a week type of weight loss. Do you guys have any SAFE tips, tricks, or advice. I'm willing to investigate all ideas. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The best you can expect is approx 30lb (15 weeks at 2lb per week) but that's only sustainable if you are very overweight like myself. Losing at a faster rate than that just isn't safe and could prove detrimental to your health and ultimately your chosen career path. Without knowing any of your stats (height, weight, age etc) no-one can give you any real advice.

Unfortunately I feel you might be disappointed come the first week in May, harsh I know.
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I disagree with above... subject to a couple of suppositions...(and without any stats available)

Destiny, presumably you were already at a certain fitness level prior to the gain, otherwise army ROTC would probably not have been of much interest to you and IF your weight gain has only been very recent (i.e Xmas binging sort of thing) then it is possible!

Yes, the healthy weight loss usual line of thought is that 2lbs a week is the 'max'. However, that would be the sustainable 'max'; if you're strict it's amazing how much comes off once you start - it may surprise you. If you are/were already fit then this is a just a temporary gain that you can work on. Get in some serious cardio and keep you net calories at a healthy level - not too low - it won't help. Stick with that for 2 or three weeks and you will be well on your way! You will lose a lot and your goal will seem much more reachable from there on and you can adjust accordingly to reach your goal.

However, if it's been a slow gain and you weren't previously at a good level of fitness then I do agree with Tom that it may be a bit of a struggle. You never know though unless you try.

Either way, best of luck and give it a good go!! You know it'll be worth it and let me know when you make it! B)

[...and just to qualify my comment - I served more than 20 years in the forces myself and came across plenty of people who managed to achieve amazing weight loss to make the cut! It may not be usual or 'recommended' but you will be one of the elite won't you?! You are meant to be capable of great things!!]

Addition: Although I was hugely overweight (so had plenty to lose!), I have just looked at my stats for last year and oddly enough(!), between 5th Jan (my start date) and 5th May I lost 58.3lbs, so make of that what you will...

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I hate time lines for weight loss. I think they do more harm than good. Whether it's making tape or looking good in a wedding dress, I have seen so many people become so discouraged over time because of impossible time lines they ultimately just give up on any weight loss.

I think the goal you proposed is likely not physically possible.
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It is totally possible, but you need to set up a very strict regime. No fast food, healthy choices always. I have lost 85 lbs since April and 12 years ago did 66 lbs in 6 months on Weight Watchers and I am 51 years old so if I can do it so can you! I record and measure all food. If you are in ROTC then you are in college so use your gym, some type of exercise everyday!. I find I do great with MFP challenges that helps me keep motivated and exercising. I am NAVY veteran myself and know you have to work hard and have lots of discipline to lose the weight. GOOD LUCK.
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    by the way just look at your profile. I was stationed at DamNeck and did my A school in Norfolk more years ago then you have been alive. :):D
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, especially the vets. It's great hearing your own accomplishments. It gives me SOME hope. I wish I hadn't let things get this out of control but, ya know, stuff happens. I have PT everyday at 0600 for an hour so, between that and personal workouts I'll be busting 2 hours of exercise a day. My main issue is food. We have a love-hate relationship.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Destinyy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, especially the vets. It's great hearing your own accomplishments. It gives me SOME hope. I wish I hadn't let things get this out of control but, ya know, stuff happens. I have PT everyday at 0600 for an hour so, between that and personal workouts I'll be busting 2 hours of exercise a day. My main issue is food. We have a love-hate relationship.

PT each weekday provides an opportunity for you to either ask the XO or an NCO for additional work. Folks who would try to max out their 2 mile run time would train for several weeks with an extra long morning run with the XO. Individually their times dropped. Most people hit the low time so it was rewarding. An extra 30-45 minutes one day a week was all it took. Just ask for help and someone will be there. Good luck.

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hmmm. I was overweight by 33 pounds (up 17 lbs from squeaking by MEPS several months earlier) when I took my Oath. I just had to meet AR 600-9 when I entered OBC three months later by the time the record APFT was taken at the end of the course. There were Officers in my class who didn't meet H/W by then. They were recycled back to repeating with the incoming class. Whether they are doing the same now that we aren't officially in a time of war and personnel inventories a priority is unknown.

I lost my weight following Atkins ver 2003 to the dotted i and crossed t and no exercise to interfere (which I paid dearly for not doing in the eight weeks leading up to that record APFT after failing the diagnostic). Then again, I had never dieted prior to that diet, either. And I was a still-young 29 years old.

ETA: And I was only on rung 3 or 4 of that diet by the time I arrived in SA.

And, as you can see for yourself, eating low carb but not keeping calories in mind (along with some obesogenic drug scripts and whatnot) can and will lead to one ending up even fatter than they were when they initially started that "way of eating".
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    USAF retired Master Sergeant here; get disciplined about your food. Weigh, measure, track everything. Get your PT done, extra if you can. If you want it, really want it, work for it. In ROTC you start to learn those skills like leadership & discipline...pull those out & use them. No excuses, you absolutely can do this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I was in the military and regret my bad planning which caused me to do stupid things to make the cut. I failed a weigh-in once and to my surprise it was no big deal - they put me on an exercise program, I cut back on drinking, and lost the weight.

Is 60 # a hard and fast number or can you actually weigh more and lose the rest...yanno, I don't know how ROTC works. What happens in May - do you go to another OTC or are you commissioned at that time? Can you push that date back?
  • kshama2001
    Options

Maybe talk more about your love-hate relationship with food so we can give you tips for that.

Are you logging everything you eat? Are you using a digital food scale? If you are logging, please change your Diary Sharing setting to Public: https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

If you're not logging, start!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    That's a fairly aggressive goal, but possible. Personally I would be uncomfortable suggesting anyone attempt losses that quick without your doctor being in the loop. And then being cautious about nutrition, possible need for supplements, and a solid plan. If it isn't a "make or break" situation personally I would shoot for less loss, then make it up in training.

That being said, get used to doing things you thought you couldn't do. That is one of the things the military is good at. Once you get in the lifestyle and limits on bad eating (you can eat all you want, you just risk your career) should help make it a life long thing.

If you lack motivation on any given day consider where you live. I'm also in the same city, and we have some of the worlds most elite military members in our back yards. Beyond what is obvious, there are places hidden in plain site that would boggle a lot of people. None of those people got to that level by giving up... ever. Get your head in the game, make a plan and do it.

If you need someone locally to yell at you, let me know. I might bike buy and give you an example. I've been out of the military longer than you've been alive, but as a former Marine I can still humble quite a few of the younger crowd when it comes to just getting it done and putting in the work. You'll learn about more of that once you are in active duty. But for now, don't let it defeat you. Free your mind and accept the goal as something you can do, and you will often be surprised how readily your body will follow.
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    To answer some of your questions:

1. 60lbs is the weight that would put me at a peak weight. 40 to 50 lbs would make me acceptable to the military.
    2. May is the month that I am accepted or declined to go further in the program as well as the month I'll be signing for bct next year. You can't sign unless you make weight or tape.
    3. I'm terrible at logging, so my logs won't be helpful to look at. However, I will become 100% more active starting once I get off of work at 7am today.
    4. As far as my "love-hate relationship with food," it goes like this: one day I want to eat everything in sight. The next day, I have no appetite at all and could go almost the whole day without so much as a cracker.

And sidenote: thanks @minniestar55 your comment really stood out to me. I really have to change my head game. How can I LEAD troops if I'm defeating myself daily? No excuses!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You mentioned above that you're "terrible at logging" . But in the Army ( & other forces!), you've got to be good at stuff like that. Checklists...documentation...schedules...training rosters...you need to be able to name parts, inventory, & put together your rifle. Same with parts of aircraft, computers, you name it. Logging your food is no different. The skills are transferable, believe me, & in fact, those of us with military training (including ROTC) have a leg up on others because of our training! No room for being sloppy or doing stuff halfway. I do suggest that you make your goal the lower end, 40-45 lbs, if that will help you make the tape & weight, & look at extra weight off as a bonus.
    You're right, it's first of all a head game; if you get serious & disciplined about it you will get it done. I'm happy to give you a hand or just be a shoulder for you, anytime.
    And thanks for the shout-out
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I first went to the AF Recruiter to enlist, I was told to lose 20lbs and then come back and talk to him. Looking back over the course of my 25 year plus career, l did some really stupid things to “make” weight. I totally agree with my former Marine colleague. Be smart and get some professional medical guidance. 40lbs to 50lbs is aggressive and you’ll need the right professional support.
    My fellow AF Retiree is 100% on point with her advice as well. A leader should always evaluate their strengths and weaknesses. If your relationship with food is a known weakness now, I promise you it won’t get any easier if you don’t hit it head on now. If you’re fortunate to have a military career, there will be times when you won’t be able to make your own food choices and you’ll have to rely on your inner toolbox. You’re also 100% correct when you point out how you can be expected to lead others when you can’t lead yourself. The simple fact is you can’t. Trust me, if you’re fortunate to have the privilege of leading others, all the technical knowledge in the world won’t matter if you’re not meeting or exceeding weight and PT standards. Your love/hate relationship needs to be that you love food but hate bad food choices. Before I get beat up for it, in my world, pizza, ribeyes, and beer (my personal favs) are not bad choices, but too much and too much of them are.
    On the upside, you’re very fortunate to live in a time when there’s a ton of resources available and folks that have similar issues. Consider it all, embrace what works for you, and discard the rest. Knowing when ask for guidance is very much a positive leadership quality. Best of luck to you!
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Meant to say...but too much and too often of them are.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    To answer some of your questions:

1. 60lbs is the weight that would put me at a peak weight. 40 to 50 lbs would make me acceptable to the military.
    2. May is the month that I am accepted or declined to go further in the program as well as the month I'll be signing for bct next year. You can't sign unless you make weight or tape.
    3. I'm terrible at logging, so my logs won't be helpful to look at. However, I will become 100% more active starting once I get off of work at 7am today.
    4. As far as my "love-hate relationship with food," it goes like this: one day I want to eat everything in sight. The next day, I have no appetite at all and could go almost the whole day without so much as a cracker.

And sidenote: thanks @minniestar55 your comment really stood out to me. I really have to change my head game. How can I LEAD troops if I'm defeating myself daily? No excuses!

1. You really don't have time to get to peak weight safely. Find out the exact weight you need to be - 10 pounds is a big difference - and make that your goal.
    4. I wanted to see your logs to see if you are getting enough protein. In all but one of the "Why am I always hungry" threads, the posters were eating very little protein in relationship to carbs.