I Never Thought Possible!!! 20 years Overweight....Now This!!!

Options
Fattonz
Fattonz Posts: 60 Member
In May of 2015 I decided it was time to take my life back after nearly 20 years of being obese. With my wife having been diagnosed with diabetes in 2014, and my daughter living with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, I decided it was time to be a role model.

In addition I am a HUGE fan of higher intensity sports such as motocross and mountain biking. I decided I wanted to be more active in these sports once again.

So here are my results to date. Pictured here is me in May of 2015 @ 208lbs and again in December of 2015 @ 151lbs:

post-382878-14518384299057_zpsbjf76txw.jpg

I snapped this one in the mirror yesterday. Something I never, EVER would have even dreamed possible is now becoming a reality:

image.jpg1_zpsoi4apjbj.jpg

I keep myself in a caloric deficit and eat a balance each day consisting of roughly 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs. I rarely eat processed foods. I eat a meal every three hours consisting of a lean protein, fibrous carbs and a starchy carb.....basically at eat meal I try to make my plate look like my daily macro nutrients goal....if that makes sense. I log every item I eat and supplement one meal a day with a shake consisting of Whey Protein Isolate, frozen fruit, and egg whites. When I decide I really want something, like pizza, or a Big Mac, or some potato chips, I have them and then I carry on with my routine. I have learned that, at least for me, deprivation does not work, but rather balance and moderation are key. In the past I would beat myself up and likely quit working out if I indulged with junk food, but now I just think about all that "fuel" I just consumed and channel it into a kick *kitten* workout.

I do 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week, usually elliptical, sometimes treadmill. I really like dumbbells and body weight resistance training. As such I do 95% of my workouts at home.

I absolutely cannot wait until spring arrives to put my new body to work doing the sports I so love. In the meantime I have been putting in some time this winter giving my favorite bike a transformation of it's own. It's going to be a real treat to ride:

post-382878-14518415781237_zps9sehfcdc.jpg

Replies

• Peaches160
    Peaches160 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congratulations man you and your bike Rock!!!!!!
    P.S. Anyone ever told you that you look like a younger Bruce Willis or Micheal Keaton?
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mate, that's epic. Huge congratualtions!
  • cponeill89
    cponeill89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and I'm jealous of your KTM
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Amazing and so fat! Well done.
  • WindyCityGal160
    WindyCityGal160 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Way to go- that is awesome! Go out and enjoy that bike. Thanks for sharing!
  • sparrish531
    sparrish531 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Very inspirational. Thanks for posting this!
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Wow, fantastic! Well done to you, and thanks for giving me hope.

• ShaneLynch1972
    ShaneLynch1972 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    @Fattonz Awesome job!!
  • Fattonz
    Options

Wow! So many great replies! I hope I can be as inspirational to all of you, as your replies are to me :smile:

I also wanted to mention a few more things that I forgot to include in my original post. First, my age. I will be 42 in a couple of months. In addition to my daughter, I too have been diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, albeit a milder form than my daughter's. Thirdly, my wife too has made great progress and has dropped over 60lbs to date:

image.jpg1_zpsntrxmfsy.jpg
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! Awesome. Well done to both of you fantastic work!!!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!!
    You're both looking great. :grin:
    Have fun this coming summer with your new, more energetic & capable bodies. :sunglasses:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Love the pictures. Keep having fun. :mrgreen:
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    wow Amazing!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to both of you!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Awesome transformation.....congratulations!

My Wife's diabetes diagnosis a month ago is what kickstarted our change in lifestyle too. I'm also 42 and have a similar amount of weight to lose so this is one of the most relatable success stories I've seen! Thanks :)

Your wife looks great too. Have her diabetes stats improved since she started?
  • Jlefevre5
    Jlefevre5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness by you. Can you describe your dumbbell and body weight workout. We are the same age. Can you give your height? I'd like to see what is possible for me if I am committed!
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! You look so much younger!
  • Fattonz
    edited January 2016
    Options
    craignev wrote: »
    Awesome transformation.....congratulations!

My Wife's diabetes diagnosis a month ago is what kickstarted our change in lifestyle too. I'm also 42 and have a similar amount of weight to lose so this is one of the most relatable success stories I've seen! Thanks :)

Your wife looks great too. Have her diabetes stats improved since she started?

Thanks for the encouraging words Craig! Yes my wife's stats have improved dramatically since her diagnosis in 2014. Her A1C's are always awesome and she so longer has to take insulin. She has a very good handle on it, but she has the advantage of having had previous experience with diabetes when she was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during all three of her pregnancies. All three resulted in very high birth weights...9lbs 3oz, 9lbs 4oz, and 12lbs 4oz respectively. All three were c-section. In addition she attended university for Nutrition and Dietetics back in the day. I believe all of that has really shaped her wisdom. Her doctors often refer to her as the model or quintessential patient...lol.

But it still bites her from time to time so it is really important she stays on top of it by taking certain precautions before engaging in certain activies, such as exercise, etc... Seasonal changes always seem to cause variables to shift which keeps her on her toes making constant adjustments.

• subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Fan-freaking-tastic. So inspiring. Thanks for posting.
  • Raw_Forever
    Raw_Forever Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Very very impressive , I'm inspired
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!