Starting all over again

Options
geoblewis
geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
I'm turning 55 next month. I wanted to be done with the obesity/type 2 diabetes crap by now. I did really well for a few years, but just over a year ago, I got a tooth infection, which led to higher blood sugar levels, and then had to go on insulin. I've felt pretty defeated ever since. I've gained some weight back. I stopped exercising due to back issues. I'm tired all the time. I have totally lost my mojo. I know how to be on track. Just don't know how to get back on it.

My goals - lose 150 lbs., go off insulin, exercise daily, feel energized, good sleep every night.

Going to bed early tonight, so I can get some good rest and see if I can find my mojo in the morning. Maybe it's in the laundry hamper.

Replies

• Wendy_Westbrook
    Wendy_Westbrook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I'm also restarting again, and disgust myself with how far backwards I've gone in a short time. I haven't got a legitimate reason for my regaining 40 lbs in a year, though.

I know exercise helps me find my mojo, is there any exercise you can do that's not going to cause you problems with your back?

I hope you get a good night's sleep and your mojo is waiting for you in the morning.

:smile:
  • geoblewis
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Aww, thanks Wendy! I really appreciate your support.

I actually manage a fitness studio. I was exercising daily, Pilates, weights and cardio. But because of my size, parts of me were getting stronger while other parts were still quite weak. This caused some bad lower back problems. I've been seeing a chiropractor and massage therapist for over a year. I'm getting closer to getting back to it, however. I can walk about 20 minutes at a time now, and do a very limited Pilates workout that focuses on my lower back area.

I regret a lot of my choices over the past year. I take responsibility for all the potatoes I've eaten because I was feeling sorry for myself! And for the fast food trips because I was mad!

(Insert face palm emoticon here!)

The past is in the past, right?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to MFP! Sorry to hear about your health issues. Be sure to use a food scale, and make changes that you can sustain for the rest of your life. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • rebecky8085
    rebecky8085 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    geoblewis wrote: »
    I'm turning 55 next month. I wanted to be done with the obesity/type 2 diabetes crap by now. I did really well for a few years, but just over a year ago, I got a tooth infection, which led to higher blood sugar levels, and then had to go on insulin. I've felt pretty defeated ever since. I've gained some weight back. I stopped exercising due to back issues. I'm tired all the time. I have totally lost my mojo. I know how to be on track. Just don't know how to get back on it.

My goals - lose 150 lbs., go off insulin, exercise daily, feel energized, good sleep every night.

Going to bed early tonight, so I can get some good rest and see if I can find my mojo in the morning. Maybe it's in the laundry hamper.

Hey,I'm Becky,almost 55 and I'm starting over again myself, my goal is to lose 80 lbs. I'm tired all the time also and totally burnt out.
    It's hard at our age but it's doable. Feel free to keep in touch, accountability friends are good to have :)
  • rebecky8085
    Options

Hey,I'm Becky,almost 55 and I'm starting over again myself, my goal is to lose 80 lbs. I'm tired all the time also and totally burnt out.
    It's hard at our age but it's doable. Feel free to keep in touch, accountability friends are good to have :)

Rebecky8085@gmail.com
  • Laura03211
    Laura03211 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm sorry you're in a "bad/sad" place right now. But, you've taken the first big step and each week will get better, one day at a time. Don't beat yourself up for slips. Keep on top of the diabetes. As you are able to add exercise and change your eating, your insulin requirements may change. I don't have diabetes, but several relatives have had it. I'm nearly 64 & also starting over. I must start a new diet at least 12 times a year, if not more. Often, I don't make it through the first 3 days. I need to lose 60-80 pounds. It is going to be different for both/all of us this time. I have knee problems that have really limited me for the past 5 1/2 years, but I also had neck problems for years. I had a cervical fusion in 2009. Have you seen an ortho or neuro doctor for your back? If it doesn't improve with the chiropracor, you might need further evaluation. Does your fitness center offer exercise training specific for your health problem? Start small and add slowly. I need to remember that, too.
  • prawncess
    prawncess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi i'm another one starting again, back into the gym and pool and enjoying it, really wonder why i let it all slide this last year and having to lose the 2 stone all over agai good luck to you all
  • rebecky8085
    Options
    You to my friend! We can do this!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

My advice?:
    Start with ONE small change you can make....and stick with it for a couple weeks. Then add another and another over time until you've suddenly begun to lead a healthier lifestyle rather than a "diet" which is much easier to bail on.

I would suggest a good first step is to purposefully park about twice as far from the door as you usually do. That extra walking adds up over time.

Good luck and if you want you can send an FR..I've been here for about 2 years now and I'm a pretty regular signon.
  • geoblewis
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. You made me feel so welcome! And I have a great support team!