Runners who have been injured

Options
I suffered a high ankle sprain about 8 months ago, still feeling some pain in ankle and leg now. Tell me your story have you come back from a similar situation? (just wondering if I'm not the only one!)

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i used to run and loved it, until i tore my acl, and i never ran again. i tried but my knee will never be the same after a major joint injury, so i gave up running and I do other things instead.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I developed runner's knee last year when training for a half marathon. I was focusing on too much running (adding too many, miles too quickly) and not taking proper rest days, but what I think really did me in was that I had taken my focus away from my lifting and yoga routines. Having well rounded training plans are key for me (it's the perfect trifecta).

I wallowed in self pity for having to give up on my training goals and reluctantly took a break from running for a few months while doing doctor prescribed rehab exercises... but I slowly added in yoga and then light weight lifting to start strengthening my leg muscles and develop better balance. After some time, I just started trying to run a mile here and a mile there and was also able to return to heavy lifting.

I'm not back to the pace I used to be at, but I've started a new training program to slowly prepare for the half marathon this year! It's important to note and pay attention to any aches or pains and take care of them in a proper way.

Not quite the same as a sprain, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.