An important lesson from logging yesterday's blow-out

Options
I had a terrible blow out yesterday, with some emotional and habitual Friday night eating. I didn't log it yesterday and was just going to move on. This morning I decided I should log it and I learnt a very valuable lesson.
Yes, I went way over my calories, but in the past I would think that a blowout would put me so far off track and I would give up.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that my blowout put me "only" 666 cals over. Not great, but nothing worth freaking out over!

Replies

• richmond2410
    richmond2410 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good for you for being accountable to yourself and acknowledging it. I have also done this after a dinner out and been pleasantly surprised that I didn't go over by thousands.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This! Is why I also log my "off" days. So I can see it's not that bad! It's nothing worth giving up over and isn't even a set back if you don't let it be! Great for you!!! XD
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I am so with you, great strategy. Just yesterday I too over ate. It was my first day back at logging from the holidays and being a lazy butt. I had a perfectly on track day until after dinner and my usual munchies and TV time. I didn't log it though and I am going to commit to always logging, even the not great stuff. I should at the very least know exactly what I ate and write it down for accountability.

You did a great job, I think learning from ourselves is the best way to make progress in life.
  • Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I read this yesterday, before my own "blow out" and at first I wasn't going to log. But I kept remembering this post. And yeah, it was bad. I think total of 2800 calories yesterday. But I think it was good for me to log. I'll just conduct myself differently this week to make up for it
  • Jayisahomogay
    Jayisahomogay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I did the same thing on what I called a "cheat" day blowout yesterday, and saw that while I was over, it wasn't the end of the world. I'll have to remember this post in the future if I'm tempted to not log the bad days.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Exactly! So much to learn from our own data and experiences. And it is very helpful to understand when you are in maintenance as well. We learn that these high days happen, it's fine-but you can see how your activity level, eating lighter the next day, etc-help you maintain even though you have these blow outs.
  • Marikanna
    Marikanna Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I log everyday as well: whether I stay under or go over my calorie target - its all good information! I also average my calories for the week and it helps me explain any weight loss or lack of weight loss. My exercise is pretty consistent week to week now - staying under my calorie limit is my current and very well-defined challenge.