Buying an elliptical

I have a stationary bike, weights, and a pull-up thing that I hang from a door frame, and now I'm looking to add to my little home-gym. I've been doing some research on ellipticals and have gotten nowhere! So what I want to know is if anyone here has some recommendations for ellipticals! Im looking for something relatively inexpensive, no more than 500$, that lasts long and gives an upper body workout as well. Anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    Depends on your needs, size, and how much you want out of it. Personally I feel for that much money you could probably buy a much higher quality used machine that would last a lifetime in a home. They all have quirks and good and bad points, but from the ones I've checked out the user level stuff in that range usually aren't all that solid.

As for upper body, a lot of them are just not natural to me, so I have no solid input there. At times I use some lighter weights for added upper body stuff when I'm on our elliptical.

If you are set on buying new, I'd find a place that lets you try them. Some look simple but work well. Others look great and are pieces of crap. Check out warranty, service availability, etc as well. If you buy used and can go to higher quality level, do the same. If you step up to the better quality level often the service ensures you can make it last forever if you want.
  • KaliH310
    KaliH310 Posts: 22 Member
    I bought (and currently trying to sell due to moving) a "Livestrong" elliptical about 4 years ago and I love it! It didn't feel cheaply made to me. I tested out my fair share and I hated how wobbly they were. I shelled out a pretty penny for mine but it was worth it. My best friend bought one for a couple hundred dollars ("because the cheap ones are just as good") and it broke within a month. The handle literally broke off so you get what you pay for! :) Good Luck!
  • KaliH310
    KaliH310 Posts: 22 Member
    Also the tension on mine is ridiculous! Level 3 feels like your trying to move threw concrete so it's a total body workout.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Maybe look around at the used equipment stores. If you are going to be using it very frequently, I'd suggest a light commercial elliptical. The gears are in the back and they are quieter with a smoother glide and more settings.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member
    I went to Sears in December and tried out their elliptical machines. They range from $200 to $2000. I have a foot problem so ended up doing the same process with the stationary bikes. I also went to the store twice and spent an hour each time at least. That's how I bought my treadmill from Sears a few years ago. Once you find one in your price range that you like (based on your stride, your feet, and so on) check the reviews. There will always be negative reviews so go for the gist of it, like "handles fell off" comments.