Metabolic excersises

Options
1. Could y'all count off and name the metabolic excersises that's out there to help me out?

Story:( I'm in spin class and eventually need to build more muscle that burns fat all day and makes spin easier, helping me feel and look younger due to activating hormones the right way. So HIIT and boot camps I've heard incorporate a lot of these.)

2. Also, explain to me why my sinuses drain so much when active and my breathing is insane though I feel and look healthy ( I control my breaths that helps little, I sip on oxygen water and that has got me through but yet worn out more from the attention to my breaths) ?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What is a metabolic exercise?

At rest
    1lb of muscle burns 6-10 cals a day
    1lb fat burns 2-4

So you would increase your metabolic rate by 2-8 calories per day for each lb of muscle. Bearing in mind that following a great progressive resistance programme and keeping your diet on point, as a woman new to lifting you could probably gain a mac of 10-15lb muscle in the first year. You're talking an extra slice of bread or apple a day

If you want to get better at spin do more spin classes
    If you want to build muscle eat at a surplus and lift progressively / progressive resistance

What are your overall goals?
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sorry the sinus issue is either an infection (doctor and antibiotics) ..you'd know if ongoing

Or some kind of allergic rhinitis, probably environmental and associated with where you are working out

Keep fluids up, try facial massage, and perhaps an anti-histamine

Work out somewhere else if too bad
  • monetfuge
    monetfuge Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So cool! I'm loving this ap, I'm new! Hello! But yea. My goal to get to 170ib and lean muscle I'm 5'7" and I am apple/ pear shaped. I'm currently at 203ib from 250ib. My BMI test results states I'm 50/50 on muscle and fat total body. Evenly disturbed except for my camel humps in hips and butt and back of legs mostly. I have 70 something percent body fat need to lose 31ibs of it.

Distant goals... to introduce glow in the dark spin to my gym as a sub after I hit my weight goal.

Not so distant...join HIIT classes to build the muscle for maximum fat burning all day.

And to learn some mixed martial arts starting with grand daddy Tai chi and Kickboxing for the cousin and fun.

Thanks for the sinus tip...

"Keep fluids up, try facial massage, and perhaps an anti-histamine" this is where I'm at. Bc of my hormones being thrown off and changing sinuses and illnesses have plagued me lately.

1. Metabolic Excersise I know from when I looked it up on you tube is the Giant ropes with squats. The combo strength training positions that's trending for a while. Like planks. Weights while doing something else type thing.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Hi

Congratulations on the loss so far

This makes no sense

"My BMI test results states I'm 50/50 on muscle and fat total body. "
    BMI is a simple calculation of weight / height and puts you on a scale. Healthy population scale is 20-25 BMI

". I have 70 something percent body fat need to lose 31ibs of it."
    There is no way you have 70% BF. That would imply you have 69lbs LBM
    Google body fat images for women

HIIT is cardio exercise it does not build muscle ...progressive resistance training builds muscle but generally not in defecit, in defecit it tends to preserve it

The metabolic increase from muscle is negligible...see above

I think like all of us you need "unlearn" quite a bit and start again

:)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    monetfuge wrote: »
    So cool! I'm loving this ap, I'm new! Hello! But yea. My goal to get to 170ib and lean muscle I'm 5'7" and I am apple/ pear shaped. I'm currently at 203ib from 250ib. My BMI test results states I'm 50/50 on muscle and fat total body. Evenly disturbed except for my camel humps in hips and butt and back of legs mostly. I have 70 something percent body fat need to lose 31ibs of it.

Distant goals... to introduce glow in the dark spin to my gym as a sub after I hit my weight goal.

Not so distant...join HIIT classes to build the muscle for maximum fat burning all day.

And to learn some mixed martial arts starting with grand daddy Tai chi and Kickboxing for the cousin and fun.

Thanks for the sinus tip...

"Keep fluids up, try facial massage, and perhaps an anti-histamine" this is where I'm at. Bc of my hormones being thrown off and changing sinuses and illnesses have plagued me lately.

1. Metabolic Excersise I know from when I looked it up on you tube is the Giant ropes with squats. The combo strength training positions that's trending for a while. Like planks. Weights while doing something else type thing.

This makes no sense, sorry. You have misunderstood something, although what exactly, who knows?
    Your current weight and height place you at a BMI of about 31. Your goal weight places you to something around 26, your starting weight at 39.
    50 does not come into it.
    If you mean you need to lose 70 lbs of body fat, this sounds correct, this would place you close to the middle of healthy weight for your height, but this would mean a goal of 130, not 170.
    So, there appear to be some errors in your math?

As for exercise that is Metabolic, HIIT building muscle and any od these thing helping you improve at spinning, no.
    If the goal is to improve in spinning, spin more (as in give it more time, not spend hours spinning per day). If the goal is to build muscle, try some strength training routine. Not weights as part of a cardio routine, but something focused on strength, there are tons of programs out there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    2. Also, explain to me why my sinuses drain so much when active and my breathing is insane though I feel and look healthy ( I control my breaths that helps little, I sip on oxygen water and that has got me through but yet worn out more from the attention to my breaths) ?

Do you have sinus issues every time you're active or just one particular location?
    - If it's happening at the gym but not when you are other places, then your gym may have a mold problem. The easiest way to fix that is to get another gym.
    - If it happens every where, see your doctor.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi

Congratulations on the loss so far

This makes no sense

"My BMI test results states I'm 50/50 on muscle and fat total body. "
    BMI is a simple calculation of weight / height and puts you on a scale. Healthy population scale is 20-25 BMI

". I have 70 something percent body fat need to lose 31ibs of it."
    There is no way you have 70% BF. That would imply you have 69lbs LBM
    Google body fat images for women

HIIT is cardio exercise it does not build muscle ...progressive resistance training builds muscle but generally not in defecit, in defecit it tends to preserve it

The metabolic increase from muscle is negligible...see above

I think like all of us you need "unlearn" quite a bit and start again

:)

I agree.
    Not trying to be rude op but you should probably go back and start from scratch here. It looks like you've been misunderstanding some things.
  • monetfuge
    Options
    So cool! I'm loving this ap, I'm new! Hello! But yea. My goal to get to 170ib and lean muscle I'm 5'7" and was apple/ pear shaped. I'm currently at 203ib from 250ib. My BMI test results states I'm 50/50 on muscle and fat total body. Evenly disturbed except for my camel humps in hips and butt and back of legs mostly. I have 70 something percent body fat need to lose 31ibs of it.

• monetfuge
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was giving you a generalization not exact numbers bc it was 2 am.

Body fat mass 71.1ibs.
    Need to lose 31ibs of fat.
    Basal metabolic rate 1680 kcal
    Weight 204.8
    Height 5'7"
    BMI 32.1
    Body fat percentage 34.7

Progressive resistance is incorporated. I.e

1. Squat while swinging large ropes fast

2. Planks
    3. Etc. ( help)

I need more Excersise names like this above if you know any that will burn fat through the the day due to how much muscle building I've done. That's what metabolic excersises mean. Do you have more to add to the list?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Hiya

That makes more sense :)

Progressive resistance? You're best following an existing beginners programme

Bodyweight
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    You are your own gym ...there's an app
    Convict conditioning

Or free weights
    Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

• monetfuge
    Options
    Thank you
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    OK I wouldn't have been able to type all that out at 2am either ! Lol !! I would suggest starting a progressive strength training program . I really like stronglifts or nrol . have you ever tried either ?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If you spend a few hours reading these fitness boards a lot of your questions will probably get answered. Check out the posted links also. Welcome!
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP Metabolic Training is simply performing compound exercises with little or no rest in between them. For instance doing a push press followed by a set of squats. The aim is to maximize the amount of calories you burn whilst you work out and once you leave the gym. The term metabolic training seems to be 'in vogue' at the moment and the name tends to get thrown around a lot.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I was giving you a generalization not exact numbers bc it was 2 am.

Body fat mass 71.1ibs.
    Need to lose 31ibs of fat.
    Basal metabolic rate 1680 kcal
    Weight 204.8
    Height 5'7"
    BMI 32.1
    Body fat percentage 34.7

Progressive resistance is incorporated. I.e

1. Squat while swinging large ropes fast

2. Planks
    3. Etc. ( help)

I need more Excersise names like this above if you know any that will burn fat through the the day due to how much muscle building I've done. That's what metabolic excersises mean. Do you have more to add to the list?

maybe just go work out? even better, work out while making sure the calories you eat daily are less than the calories you burn throughout the day.

1. watch your calorie totals
    2. keep taking your spin classes
    3. add some form or resistance training, i don't care if it's stronglifts or bodypump or running thru the machine circuit at your local gym 3x
    4. profit.
  • monetfuge
    Options
    @ thorsmom01, no I haven't but I sure will you tube it tommorrow!!! Thanks!
  • monetfuge
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @ironmaiden4life and davpul, I benefited from your 1.2.and 3 suggestion the first part I'm doing with fitness pal tracker ya know? Iron maiden, awesome! So that is in essence the body weight circuits as Mrs. Thor stated.
  • monetfuge
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wow, @ rabbitjb, that'll start me off well in the world of weights and routine along with everyone else's suggestions thanks.

I'm familiar with weights and proper lifting. I'm a dancer, so I've toyed around with the lifestyle of fitness when younger. Now I'm old and have to commit to everything!!! Blah, blah, fooey!

It's not so bad this new planet.

I appreciated the time you took to research for me. It raised a brow. I'm trying to hit the ground running after commiting to spin classes. I didn't want more, but others are hinting I'm going to need more as well as my body and just being aware period.

Much love y'all!!
  • monetfuge
    edited January 2016
    Options
    personal trainers:
    Also, I've never liked someone over me instructing me for long periods of time. It's extra energy to build a working relationship with a personal trainer. I already hate teamwork at work. And I'm the spastic loaner type w/ 4 kids, blended family, a spiritually needy husband, and whatever else drama past or present. I'm like this, due to my bi polar extremes of lifestyle AKA (the militant hippie) or growing up having to adjust and learn fast. Can't stand being overwhelmed or failure in my relationships. I invest a lot or little to nothing... no in between.

This is all the coaching I love!!!

Way too independent this spirit in me.

Research and advice the rest is... GO hard or die!!!

I'm very very appreciative of this ap. and y'all s efforts. I have plans tomorrow to test the waters on something new.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    OP, you've been given some really solid advice here. The concept of "metabolic exercises" is not really as helpful as consistently knowing what you burn and what your intake looks like. With that said, you want progressive resistance and the programs @rabbitjb mentioned would be on my list too.