Walking at Home vs Walking Outside

Options
Hello all!

I have been doing Leslie Sansone's walk at home video series the past couple weeks. I feel great after I "power walk" a couple miles, however this is all based from within my home.

I do walk outside when I can but the English weather isn't always cooperative! I don't drive so I walk everywhere anyways. Leslie Sansone seems to all engage more muscles than you would just by walking as well...but my question is: Does it make a difference walking inside vs outside? Would I burn more calories actually "getting" somewhere and moving forward rather than just marching erratically in place?

Thanks all!

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I love the outdoors! Sun, rain, cold, snow.... Don't care, I'll take it on!!
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just dress for the weather and get out there you'll feel more refreshed out in the open air
  • BriKH23
    BriKH23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - thanks for the responses.

Just to clarify, I do not mean to totally replace outdoor walking with indoor walking. Sometimes when the weather is horrid (like with this weekend's stormy conditions) I figure, for me, an indoor workout is better than none at all. I see what you are saying, but I am just asking about the differences in calories burned if any. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make a difference. If you were training to be a race walker and wanted to do it using Leslie Sansone videos I would say otherwise but for general fitness, using the videos indoors is fine.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use her videos too, and I'll be honest, I feel like I've gotten a better workout after one of the walk at home videos then when I just go for a walk outside. She keeps the pace up, and on another bright note, I can do the walk at home thing in my pajamas! I say keep at it :smiley:
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I walk outdoors and use the videos very regularly and enjoy both. I do get a higher calorie burn and a better overall total body workout with Leslie. Especially when using 5 pound handweights.

I'm using the videos to train for my first half marathon and it's a workout!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada, and I do everything outside, through rain snow and ice! LOVE IT!, What a invigorating feeling, even when it is minus 30 out! Come to Canada and out with me!
  • BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    Just wanted to post a quick thank you for starting this thread. I'd not heard of Leslie Sansone before, but I've just checked out the videos on YouTube and will be giving them a try. Thanks :smile:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I think I burn more calories walking inside. The reason might be that while walking inside I often change my pace from a moderate walk to jogging in place or running through the house like a mad women. I also add in some dancing around...side steps...knee lifts...arm raises...etc...etc. These are all things that I wouldn't do outside due to fear of being picked up because someone thought I was insane.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Not having seen the videos, I would imagine one thing you would miss is walking up and down hills.

I'm with you with regards to English weather ... but I have good waterproof clothing and footwear to address that. For me, nothing like a bit of fresh air.
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    SizeTenByTeatime Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've just walked 5.8 miles in the snow! Very invigorating.

Plus depending on where you live, there's a lot of nice scenery around which I imagine is more interesting to look at than a living room.
  • AuntSusie7
    AuntSusie7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to use her DVD's a lot. I lost 50lbs using them 4-5 times a week. In one of her videos she addresses this issue. She praises the benefits of walking outside, taking a spin class, etc. Then, she states that walking outside does not move your body in the same way as her indoor walking do. You use different muscles; muscles you wouldn't normally use during an ordinary walk. Most likely, you aren't doing kicks, knee raises, side steps, or all the arm movements when you're outside. Her workouts are a good, full body aerobic workout. Keep at it, you will see the benefits.
  • AuntSusie7
    AuntSusie7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    By the way, I burn more calories with Leslie's walks than walking outside.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    BriKH23 wrote: »
    Hello all!

I have been doing Leslie Sansone's walk at home video series the past couple weeks. I feel great after I "power walk" a couple miles, however this is all based from within my home.

I do walk outside when I can but the English weather isn't always cooperative! I don't drive so I walk everywhere anyways. Leslie Sansone seems to all engage more muscles than you would just by walking as well...but my question is: Does it make a difference walking inside vs outside? Would I burn more calories actually "getting" somewhere and moving forward rather than just marching erratically in place?

Thanks all!

I think that most people are missing the above bolded.

OP...

I also walk outside a lot doing my errands. I walk to do my grocery shopping which the store is a mile away and then have to carry back 2 or 3 bags of groceries. I live close to a couple of malls so I walk to both of those when I need things. I walk inside when I want to to throw in 20 to thirty mins more of some type of movement.

I also understand about the weather. I live in an area where the temperature can climb quickly to 95-100 degrees in the summer. If I try to walk outside I quickly slow down to a crawl and cut my walk short.

If you enjoy doing the videos then keep it up. I have used them and also the podcasts for the C25K program which gives me intervals. I also found some jungle music that I use for when I feel like going wild.

• flatlndr
    Options
    If I compare walking on a treadmill to walking outside, I'd say I get more out of an outside walk.

However, it's a bit of comparing apples to oranges. You could get a good workout either way, depending on how much effort you put in. I suppose the only way you'd know is to use a heart rate monitor for both and compare.

Regardless, it's probably not terribly much different in the big picture. What's more important is that you are getting a workout, rather than sitting on the sofa watching TV.
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do the same as you...in nice weather I am walking outside. When it's colder/rainy/snowy then I am inside doing Leslie Sansone DVDs. I think it's great! Love it.

I will say the other day I missed my walks outside so I bundled up and took a walk.

(I'm in the suburbs of Chicago)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Not having seen the videos, I would imagine one thing you would miss is walking up and down hills.

I'm with you with regards to English weather ... but I have good waterproof clothing and footwear to address that. For me, nothing like a bit of fresh air.

Ya, my FitBit One gives me up to 19 flights of stairs for my walk in the woods and I can definitely feel different muscles engaging.

I need some rain gear and an attitude adjustment about walking in the rain. I might try Leslie Sansone next time the weather is bad - last time I did laps around Walmart and wasn't crazy about that.
  • flatlndr
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »

Ya, my FitBit One gives me up to 19 flights of stairs for my walk in the woods and I can definitely feel different muscles engaging.

I need some rain gear and an attitude adjustment about walking in the rain. I might try Leslie Sansone next time the weather is bad - last time I did laps around Walmart and wasn't crazy about that.

Given how muddy and wet I got on my hike today - courtesy of English winter weather - I'm starting to see the attraction of the indoor walk.
  • KaliH310
    KaliH310 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I do indoor walking I like "JessicaSmithTV" on Youtube. She does a lot of intervals and some are high intensity but it's usually a good mix to keep your heart rate up. But I walk all year around no matter the elements. But when it gets down in the single digits you'll find me inside sweating up a storm. ;)
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I doubt it would make a difference.
    Though I prefer to run/walk outside. I feel like I accomplish more when I do/try harder. If you don't have a destination I would make sure you're going fast enough, compare timing when you walk outside and when you do inside and make sure you're not slowing down either way.